Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just installed a autometer factory matched egt gauge on my truck and my question is what is considered to be the safe range on egt temp and what is considered to be to hot??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i used the egr cooloer block off plate

·
Registered
176 Posts
You can do some more reading on here, use the search bar to form a more educated opinion. But I used the block plate as well, and my "safe" limit will be approx 1200. Seems to equal 1400-1500 in the collector which can be hit for short bursts with little risk of damage. I wouldn't really want over 1000 for an extended period though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
With my EGT pyro in the rear manifold blockoff plate I have yet to see EGT's above 800.
I don't tow heavy, but I do carry full loads of wood and live in the Rockies. I also have my truck cool down to 350 before it will shut down (Scout II).

Before my deletes I was able to see what my EGT's ran during a forced regen on my Superchips. The temps would quickly climb to 1020 (beginning of regen temp) and up to 1200 (highest temp the Superchips would manually allow for regen). It would maintain those temps as long as I kept my RPM's in excess of 1600. So with that knowledge I know these engines are designed to "endure" some pretty high temps on a stock configuration, temps my truck hasn't seen since deletes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.