Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
goin to put me egt gauge in and was wondering if anyone left there manifold on when they drilled and taped it with just using grease to catch the metal shavings and vacuum the rest out or did ya take it off???

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i used a blow gun and grease.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
like wheelbearing grease or something thick that will pick up the shavings

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where did u blow the shavings to with the blow gun???

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anyone else have any input on doin it with out taking off manafold

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
They way I did it, was I dropped the turbo and covered it with a rag, and went real slow with wheel bearing grease on the bit to catch most of the shavings. Then fished around in the manifold with a magnet to catch stray shavings. What year is your truck?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its a 2001 thats what i was thinkin about doin cause i need to get the gauges in i have had them for a while now

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
i did mine the same as skidooman. drilled slowly with some bearing grease, then stuck a magnet down to pick the rest of the shavings. worked very well!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
your manifold is angled up where the turbo mounts. you wont even have to pull the turbo off, unless you want to. Just take your time and be careful and you should be fine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i just drooped the turbo and covered it up with a piece of cardboard. and drilled it without any grease. then used put a magnet inside the hole to get what i could. started it with the turbo still off gave it a nice rev or two. 23K miles and works just fine. the grease thing just seems like it would make a big mess

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanks thats what i was thinkin when hole is driled and taped just stick a magnet or use the hand vacuum we got to get the rest thanks again

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well got it in last night so well see how it goes still got to hook up the 12v and ground

1 - 13 of 13 Posts