Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the hundred dollar qustion is do you go before the turbo like i think or like the dealer tech said go 2 inches behind the turbo i think i want to know whats goin in the turbo so i dont melt it am i right ?:peelout

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will you take a check and jump high :lol3:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good question.....

I'm installing my Juice with Attitude this weekend.

I'm very concerned about drilling a hole before the turbo. I d hate to get steel chips in the turbo and damage it.

Drilling after the Turbo won't cause any of this issue.

I would think reading temp, before or after the turbo would still give you warning of an overheat issue?

Comments?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The idea is that pre-turbo gives you a much more accurate reading on what is going on in the cylinders. As a result of this the changing of the temp guage (up and down) will be more dramatic (instant). Some fellas have a certain temp that they do not like to exceed for very long and to get the most accurate reading of this it is best to go off the manifold. For instance, 1200 deg. at the manifold is not going to be 1200 behind the turbo. Maybe a couple hundred deg. lower. Just my .02

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm very concerned about drilling a hole before the turbo. I d hate to get steel chips in the turbo and damage it.
When I did mine I took the manifold off the engine and drilled it with a press. After tapping the hole I blasted the whole thing out with an air hose and pulled a magnet on a string through it. Maybe cost me 30 minutes extra work but defintely no metal shavings in my turbo.:thumbsup

·
Registered
929 Posts
When I did mine I took the manifold off the engine and drilled it with a press. After tapping the hole I blasted the whole thing out with an air hose and pulled a magnet on a string through it. Maybe cost me 30 minutes extra work but defintely no metal shavings in my turbo.:thumbsup

did you have to replace the manifold gasket or are they reusable?

·
Go for Broke
6,694 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was extra careful with mine and re-used them. I dunno if thats what I was supposed to do but I have not had any problems (leaks) yet. Each cylinder has its own gasket. The factory gaskets are two thin sheets of copper stamped together. If you are not careful you might end up with 12 pieces.

·
Registered
929 Posts
thanks, my next thing to do for my truck is gauges...i just don't want to put any metal chips in the turbo but the directions for the edge juice has you drill and tap w/ out removing anything. what torque does the bolts take for the manifold?

·
Registered
32 Posts
On my 05, I went pre-turbo, drilling and tapping the manifold. It was not that difficult. I used heavy grease on the drill bit, went real slow and used a vacuum cleaner to suck away the shavings while I was drilling. After drilling and tapping the hole, I used a pen magnet and ran it down the hole and inside the manifold. Only got a couple of tiny shavings. Had no problems at all after the install. The ISSPRO pyro would run around 650-700 at highway speeds. Spoke to Cummins about maximum egt and was told 1350-1400.

Now I have an 06 and installed a jacobs brake. Since the hole is already in the brake, I just used it for the pryo. The ISSPRO pyro reads around 550-600 at highway speeds. My maximum egt for me now is 1050 as verified from Dodge and Cummins.

So it is really six of one or 1/2 dozen of the other :) My opinion is if you going to make a lot of horsepower, you would want the readings coming pre-turbo. If not, post turbo is fine...........:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
You need to drill the hole in the exhaust with the motor running so the metal shavings will blow out. Grease the drill bit before you drill to catch the shavings, also before the drill bit penetrates the manifold blow all the shavings away. Once you drill the hole in the exhaust manifold, turn off the motor. You can then tap the manifold with the engine off. When you are done tapping, hook up a shop vac with a cup and a straw on the bottom to suck anything that may have fell in while tapping. Quadzilla said to have the motor running while drilling. Haven't had any problems.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
I have installed gauges on dozens of trucks and I have not had problems with any of them. Most of them were newer trucks including my '07. I just take my time and use lots of grease on the bit and especially on the tap.

·
Premium Member
15,604 Posts
thanks, my next thing to do for my truck is gauges...i just don't want to put any metal chips in the turbo but the directions for the edge juice has you drill and tap w/ out removing anything. what torque does the bolts take for the manifold?
You are worrying way too much about things that don't matter. Think about it for a minute, if a small piece of metal from drilling is going to damage the turbo what do you think all the soot and heat is doing to it? ;)

Here is what you do, drill the hole almost thru. Grease the drill bit really well, stuff a rag in the tail pipe and idle the engine while you finish drilling. Wear safety glasses or you will not like the results. The odds of drill shavings damaging the turbo are real low. Your Edge stands a better chance of hurting it. :thumbsup

·
Registered
929 Posts
thanks for the info. i don't have the edge, i just like to read up on the install directions to see whats the best method...plus, i've changed my mind, i was gonna run the edge but now i'm gonna go w/ the smarty. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts