Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been asked, but.. either I am NOT search savvy or not patient enough to sort thru 500+ pages of responses to find it, so forgive a repeat post...

I have a REAL NEWBIE stupid question/concern/fear, but I bought a set of gauges for my truck EGT/Boost/Trans Temp, I don't have the courage (skill maybe but courage... uh NO) required to drill and tap the exhaust manifold or intake manifold on my daily driver.. SOOO, I called a local Diesel Performance shop, they will do both the intake and exhaust hole/tap and install both of the probes for $75 (great deal as far as I am concerned). HOWEVER... they have got the ever loving BEJESUS scared out of me at the moment with a statement about the EGT probe. The claim is that stainless steel probes... which is what mine is will melt if subject to temps over 1300deg. And I REALLY do not want to send a piece of stainless slag thru the turbo on this thing!!!

Is there a legitimate concern here? No mods on the truck today, and prolly the most I will end up doing is a programmer, intake and exhaust (maybe) and airbox... and NOT for tire shredding drag racing truck pulling events... just daily driving and pulling our camper.

So what should I expect as the normal EGT for a stock truck? Or pulling a camper? And if not stainless steel probes, what are the other options? I thought spending almost $100 on an EGT would end up netting me a decent gauge, I guess I was wrong...

To add to my concern and frustration, I just got off the phone with the manufacturer to check on the warranty and what it potentially covers... NOT real pleased with them at the moment (she got real rude with me) But they claim (well the lady says she spoke with a tech in the back who "runs everywhere, all day long at 1600 deg with no problems and his install is post-turbo" which is what they recommend)

Not sure why... but SOMETHING about that statement scares me even MORE!!! Conservatively, do you not lose about 200 degrees across the turbo, or so I have read... so wouldn't that make the EGT around 1800 degrees? WTH... what temp does aluminum melt at?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
What brand gauge and probe do you have? What is the highest temp your gauge will read? It should atleast handle that much heat. Your pistons are made of aluminum if I remember correctly which will melt before your probe. I have never heard of someone say that before. I might try another shop just for piece of mind. Just install the probe pre-turbo and be done with it. Its not hard I will see if I can come up with a helpful install thread. Basically you just drill the hole in the manifold between cylinders 3 & 4 to where your hole isnt quite over the part of the manilfold that conects to the turbo so that you can get any shavings out without having to remove your turbo. Then you tap the hole with a tapered tap not sure what size. Clean out the shavings with a magnet and install your fitting.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I am sure this has been asked, but.. either I am NOT search savvy or not patient enough to sort thru 500+ pages of responses to find it, so forgive a repeat post...

I have a REAL NEWBIE stupid question/concern/fear, but I bought a set of gauges for my truck EGT/Boost/Trans Temp, I don't have the courage (skill maybe but courage... uh NO) required to drill and tap the exhaust manifold or intake manifold on my daily driver.. SOOO, I called a local Diesel Performance shop, they will do both the intake and exhaust hole/tap and install both of the probes for $75 (great deal as far as I am concerned). HOWEVER... they have got the ever loving BEJESUS scared out of me at the moment with a statement about the EGT probe. The claim is that stainless steel probes... which is what mine is will melt if subject to temps over 1300deg. And I REALLY do not want to send a piece of stainless slag thru the turbo on this thing!!!

Is there a legitimate concern here? No mods on the truck today, and prolly the most I will end up doing is a programmer, intake and exhaust (maybe) and airbox... and NOT for tire shredding drag racing truck pulling events... just daily driving and pulling our camper.

So what should I expect as the normal EGT for a stock truck? Or pulling a camper? And if not stainless steel probes, what are the other options? I thought spending almost $100 on an EGT would end up netting me a decent gauge, I guess I was wrong...

To add to my concern and frustration, I just got off the phone with the manufacturer to check on the warranty and what it potentially covers... NOT real pleased with them at the moment (she got real rude with me) But they claim (well the lady says she spoke with a tech in the back who "runs everywhere, all day long at 1600 deg with no problems and his install is post-turbo" which is what they recommend)

Not sure why... but SOMETHING about that statement scares me even MORE!!! Conservatively, do you not lose about 200 degrees across the turbo, or so I have read... so wouldn't that make the EGT around 1800 degrees? WTH... what temp does aluminum melt at?
I have also heard some of the same stuff....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What brand gauge and probe do you have? What is the highest temp your gauge will read? It should atleast handle that much heat. Your pistons are made of aluminum if I remember correctly which will melt before your probe. I have never heard of someone say that before. I might try another shop just for piece of mind. Just install the probe pre-turbo and be done with it.
Reversed White 7 Color Exhaust Temp Gauge - GS-W708

Glow Shift and 2400deg is the max.. which.. YEAH right.. somethin' tells me at 1800-1900deg... there is gonna be ALL kinds of bad stuff happenin'

The shop is pretty reputiable around here... and for $75... its WELL worth my time right now, so I am cool with them doing it.. but what pi**ed me off about Glow Shift.. which I am NOT done with them yet is the Customer Service... they have a online chat option for help... they ended the chat (which I saved and emailed to myself for a later conversation with the company) without answering the question and THEN hung up on me when I called (apparently I go the same lady), but she was INSISTANT about POST-TURBO installation... here is the install docs am I retarded and am just missing this:

http://glowshift.com/pdfinstructions/t7b7w7/EGT.pdf

Does this doc clearly list a pre-turbo install?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Instructions look like its definitely pre-turbo which is where you want it. I would go ahead and get it installed pre-turbo and you will be fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i have the glow shift gauges....same ones as you as a matter of fact....pre turbo, and with my edge EZ on 3 and me standing on it, it will only get just a 1/2 a (insert sexist descriptive here) hair over 1650* for a very short time before it backs down.

my normal driving it stays under 1k and cruising on the highway at 68mph she stays right around 6-700.

I wouldnt worry about pre-turbo, that is where it needs to be. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
i have the glow shift gauges....same ones as you as a matter of fact....pre turbo, and with my edge EZ on 3 and me standing on it, it will only get just a 1/2 a (insert sexist descriptive here) hair over 1650* for a very short time before it backs down.

my normal driving it stays under 1k and cruising on the highway at 68mph she stays right around 6-700.

I wouldnt worry about pre-turbo, that is where it needs to be. :thumbsup
So are you implying that you have your probe post-turbo????

·
Registered
110 Posts
if you know how to drill and tap a hole then put it PRE-turbo (egts are a lot more acurrate), its really not hard at all, just make sure you get all the shavings out of the manifold if you get any in there. use grease on the drill bit, this will help catch the metal shavings, and just take it slow no need to rush it.

also for your boost gauge just buy a boost bolt, if your kit didnt already come with one, then you wont have to drill and tap your intake manifold.

hope someone esle chimes in and helps if i missed anything important...

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
if you know how to drill and tap a hole then put it PRE-turbo (egts are a lot more acurrate), its really not hard at all, just make sure you get all the shavings out of the manifold if you get any in there. use grease on the drill bit, this will help catch the metal shavings, and just take it slow no need to rush it.

also for your boost gauge just buy a boost bolt, if your kit didnt already come with one, then you wont have to drill and tap your intake manifold.

hope someone esle chimes in and helps if i missed anything important...
All I would add is do it with the engine running at idle, this way the shavings will blow out of the hole. Sounds scary but I did mine this way, really a piece of cake!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts