Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm getting ready to drill and tap for my egt probe.... A couple reputable shops around the area swear up and down that they always put the probe post turbo. Eliminating the possibility of a sensor going bad and taking out the turbo..... Another shop said I would be an idiot to put it post turbo....
I'm really not fond of the idea of taking out the turbo because of a faulty, defective, or just a plain P.O.S. probe.... Is there really a huge downfall to putting it in the "safe zone" ? I know EGT temp is going to be a couple hundred degrees less then pre turbo, but is it less sensitive there??? I didn't buy the most expensive gauges in the world, so i'm sure the senders that were sent with them are not of the highest quality.... I would hate to see it come apart after a few hundred miles and end up taking out my turbo.....
Has anyone run post turbo egt gauge? I'm I just being overly anal??

Second Question.......
Fuel Pressure gauge.... I ordered the tapped banjo and the boost bolt from TST today.... Replace the banjo bolt on the bottom of the fuel filter canister with supplied banjo, then I want to attach some sort of high pressure hose or something to that to remotely mount the sender..... correct? I don't want to just screw the sender into the banjo bolt right?? I was thinking it should be remotly mounted to avoid vibration and such....

Third question........
Boost bolt or drill and tap the intake elbow? Which reading is going to be more accurate? Which is more reliable?

·
Mark Ward
836 Posts
1st-- Pre turbo it will be just fine. more accurate reading and honestly the reason for the egt is to monitor the exhaust going into the turbo.

2nd-- you can put it on the fitting. or get a small hose made at O'reillys or such.

3rd-- I personally would drill and tap.

Just my .02

Mark

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Drill and tap pre-turbo baby! Duker is that your truck in your sig? It looks like the FASS race truck from what I can tell.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EGT Done

Ya that is my truck... I wish it was a sponsored ride!!! I'm involved heavily in the motorcycle industry so I do a lot of moderate towing.......My truck gets alot of exposure... It was seen in the Milan Speedway and Bristol, Tennessee episodes of "PINKS: ALL OUT: My stunt group attended both those events to entertain the crowds during oil downs and such... F.Y.I. Rich from Pinks is a douche bag :lol3: :peelout

I went ahead and removed the turbo from the manifold today and tapped for the probe. I'm glad I went with the removal process, there was ALOT of shavings when I was drilling......:thud:
The whole process (even with removing the turbo) was pretty easy... The two bolts have to come loose for the exhaust hanger (to the tranny) Then getting the oil line off between the turbo and the engine block. My local dealer hooked me up with all the gaskets I needed for $11, including the gaskets for removing the intake to tap that.... Took a little help and swearing to get the exhaust back up in place.... As long as you get the oil line started on both ends, then bolt everything back down, it's a pretty easy process... WAY worth the peice of mind knowing that the turbo isn't gonna take a crap!!!

As far as temps go.... At idle, readings are about 250 degress..... With a 4000 pound load in the truck, including a small trailer, I was seeing anywhere from 500 to 1000 degrees when driving normal... It took a little more throttle to see 1100, and WOT up to about 85mph, it topped out at just a hair over 1200 degrees... Without the load readings were generally the same.... Little harder for it to hit 1200, more or less had to work for it (which I suppose isn't a bad thing!) :peelout
Are these readings roughly what I should be seeing with a straight through stock exhaust (minus cat) and a good flowing intake?

I also purchased the boost and banjo bolts from TST products to get the other gauges up and running. Tomorrow will be the manifold, and last the Fuel Pressure..
I was really freaked out about the EGT probe, but once again you guys got me through NOT F'ing up my truck.... :thumbsup Thanks again :beer

·
Registered
661 Posts
could someone post a picture or give a link to were to tap for a boost?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tapped mine today.. I tapped the intake manifold, backside closest to the firewall. RIght in the middle...seems to work great

·
Registered
1 Posts
egt gauge

Tapped mine two days ago but the temps seem really high! Thought I had the probe located midpoint in exhaust manifold cavity and am going to re-check today. Rolling down the road @ 60 NOT pulling anything the temps are anywhere from 900 to 1200 degrees. Can't be right. What are the temps supposed to be?????????????

·
Registered
798 Posts
could someone post a picture or give a link to were to tap for a boost?
I got my guage package from Vulcan Performance and they supplied a "Boost Bolt" that replaces one of the Intake manifold mounting bolts. Works fine! TST also has the bolts from what I hear.

·
Mark Ward
836 Posts
Tapped mine two days ago but the temps seem really high! Thought I had the probe located midpoint in exhaust manifold cavity and am going to re-check today. Rolling down the road @ 60 NOT pulling anything the temps are anywhere from 900 to 1200 degrees. Can't be right. What are the temps supposed to be?????????????
fill out your sig so we know wat you got:thumbsup

·
Registered
661 Posts
I got my guage package from Vulcan Performance and they supplied a "Boost Bolt" that replaces one of the Intake manifold mounting bolts. Works fine! TST also has the bolts from what I hear.
are the boost bolts only for the 24v's? or can you use them on a 12v?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts