Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

EGT Install

969 Views 10 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  ykdave
I turned the pump up over the weekend and it runs great. I would like to go to a new fuel plate but I tow about 1/2 time with loads from 10k-15k. I think it would be wise to add the egt gauge. How hard are they to install and where is best?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9,910 Posts
Very wise to install a pyro! They may not be cheap, but its cheaper than a $300 piston and a rebuild

Its really a pretty easy install as long as you have everything you need to get the job done.

The manifold is divided into 2 sections (cylinders 123/456) and their is a divider plate inside the manifold just before the turbo that keeps them seperated. You want to measure EGTs in the rear bank of the manifold about 3/4"" towards the engine from the turbo flange.

The hole can be drilled with the turbo still in place, just try your best not to get any shavings inside the manifold. Some guys use a shop vac and others grease up the drill bit to help in this situation. Also if you have a small magnet you can try that.

Ill see if i can find the diagram to maybe make this a little more clear.

EDIT: Not the one i was looking for but heres something

CumminsDatabase.com :: Pyro Tap

I ran my wiring along the top of the engine bay where some of the stock wiring and vac hoses run, then i went through the firewall at one of the existing gromets and ran it up to my pillar pod.

· Registered
3,126 Posts
i installed mine in place. Use bearing grease and a pen magnet to get all the shavings out.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to try this soon. y luck is that I will miss some shavings and BOOM there goes the turbo. Oh well.

Has anyone ever used a Snap On timing meter? I bought 2 of these tonight at an auction. I also got a Kent-Moore and a MagTach.

· Registered
3,126 Posts
well i spent about 20 mins with that pen mag getting shavings out. If you take your time and be careful you should have no problems

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
I am going to try this soon. y luck is that I will miss some shavings and BOOM there goes the turbo.
I don't see what the shavings concern is all about, you'd think people were drilling into the intake side of the turbo.
I've tapped in dozens and have never fooled around with grease, magnets etc.
The first time you start the engine any shavings shoot out the tailpipe in the first two seconds.
Seems to me some folks get way too anal about a non-issue.

· Registered
9,910 Posts
yes, its likely that the shavings will pass through the turbine without a problem. but that one in a million chance of some of the shavings getting stuck in the housing and coming out when the turbine is spinning 250,000rpm and taking a chunk out of the wheel, i would rather be safe than sorry.

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
but that one in a million chance of some of the shavings getting stuck in the housing and coming out when the turbine is spinning 250,000rpm and taking a chunk out of the wheel,
Seems it would take a heck of a lot bigger chunk than is generated by drilling and tapping to do any damage.
Whatever, I'll continue my proven method.
When I get to the millionth one I'll tell you how many turbos were damaged.:)

· Registered
9,910 Posts
I agree better safe than sorry. How much difference is it putting it after the turbo?
Doing it post-turbo requires you to watch the gauge a little more carefully as you have a few different temps you want to watch out for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.