Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just finshed installing a new set of gauges besides the egt. Im ready to put the probe in but i cant get the 4 bolts off the turbo that hold it to the manifold. i wwant to make sure i get all the shavings out so i dont ruin the turbo. WHat should i do, put the gauge right after the turbo or just do my best to get all the shavings out without removing the turbo. thanks -James

·
Registered
297 Posts
no. never put it after the turbo. that is completely wrong. best thing to do is leave the turbo on there. drill a pilot hole, then the larger one. when finished, simply take a small magnet and get the shavings out. it will take a bout 5 or 6 times of poking it in there but you will get almost everyone of them out. as for ruining the turbo... i was just as hesitant as you are when i did mine. did some thinking, any left over small shavings will never get to the turbo. gravity along with the engine idling when you crank it will just blow right on by the turbo. so just go on with it and poke a magnet in there.:thumbsup:

Reactions: jpthorpe1041

·
Got P7100?
6,673 Posts
Do what he^^^^ said with the magnet and dont waste your time taking the turbo off. Although any shavings wont just "blow by" the turbo, the few pieces that are left in there wont hurt it i promise. the pressure from the exhaust gases with push them right through without harming a thing. If you had big chucks of metal in there it would be a different story, but a few shavings wont hurt it. Be sure to drill off to one side of the manifold, not directly in the center becase there is a divider in there.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Yep what they all said

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok then where on the manifold is the best place to put it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.