Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I have a 2017 Ram/Cummins 6.7 3500 Tradesman. Last month I drove to Colorado and got the 67,500 chime to change my CCV filter... I did. On the way back to Cali my check engine light came on and "service throttle control" came on. I brought my truck to the dealer and they replaced my EGR valve and things went good for a week. Then my CEL (check engine light) and STC lights both came back on, then they go off and then they come back on for absolutely no reason other than driving. Fault codes range from mass air flow leak to, low voltage circuit "A" to P046C. My truck looks brand new under the hood, no leaks, no cruddy terminals, ZERO cracks and other than this CCV filter being changed never had any other servicing beyond filters, separators and oil changes. I think it's the EMC going bad but I'd like to get the input of fellow Cummins powers and mechanics.
PLEASE HELP!

Thank you

·
Registered
14,197 Posts
EMC??? You mean ECM?

Possible, but sounds more like a ground fault causing electrical gremlins.

I'd take it back to the dealer and tell them they didn't fix it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a ground fault to me too but like I said, under the hood is pristine which leads me to believe it's a ECM problem. I have had a couple of "low transmission fluid pressure" notices in the past that I wrote off as altitude issues. Always have some sort of fault code go off on long drives through the mountains.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
For starters, You sure you got the hose on the ccv cover back on good? It's the one from the cover to the turbo. That sure might explain the Mass air flow sensor fault?

I lived in the mountains of Colorado for years and never had an issue with a modern truck caused by altitude so I wouldn't right off code because of that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm with you on that point... I had the fault code cleared in Grand Rapids and ran fine after that. That was in 2018 and probably had 25,000 miles on it.
I didn't disconnect the turbo tube. I removed the plastic beauty plate (4 bolts), disconnected the wire harness above the cooler, removed the 8 bolts to the CCV cover and gently lifted it out of the way enough to get the new filter in. Then reversed the process. Easy-Peasy I thought but that's when all my problems started... well, going back through Vegas is where it started.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: I just got home from the dealership. Monday I'm going to drop it off. They said they are going to do a pressure test and if it passes then they are going to replace the PCM. Fingers crossed

I had my head under the hood and the ONLY thing other than light dust that looks out of place is some black speckling around the braided coolant line that runs up along the side of the turbo boot. the coolant line could have a microscopic leak but I couldn't imagine it would cause all this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts