Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is this and how do you remove it? any pictures? just wondering what this is for for my new truck. thanks alot. what does it do if you remove it?

·
Registered
395 Posts
there is a thread that was made into a sticky in this part of the 6.7 forum (very top) with pics and instructions on how to do everything....you can either make the plates yourself or go to Home Page and get some for $60 which is what I did.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah I need abit of a crash course as well being a diesel newb with an 08. What exactly is the EGR? Why does everyone want to delete it? I am a few weeks away from deleting my dpf, what does this mean for my EGR? Does this NEED to go as well or what?

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
EGR- Exhaust Gas Recirculation - the system pumps exhaust through the intake of the engine. This system is put in place to assist in the cleaning of the exhaust along with the DPF. You do not want to remove it with the DPF in place. The 2 big advantages of removing it are Cleaner internals of the engine and lower Exhaust Gas Temperatures.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I will ask this question again: "With the DPF deleted, how often will the EGR actually open/activate?" Seems to me that if its purpose is to assist in the cleaning of the DPF, then with no DPF, the ECM would never actually activate the EGR, right?

I would like for someone with ONLY a DPF delete to de-soot their engine/intake, and after driving a couple hundred miles, re-open the intake to see just how much soot is still building through the EGR. Maybe someone has already done this?

·
5,055 Posts
Give it a shot? With the DPF delete that is out there so the ECM still thinks its there and functioning properly so i would believe that the EGR would function as normal too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
CompCowboy,

So you too think there is a possibility that the EGR will function as normal, meaning that it wouldn't actually activate since there is no DPF to clean?

Right now I have both systems still on my truck. My truck has nearly 6,000 miles on it now, so I don't think I am in too much trouble. I am intending on getting the BADP Delete very soon though. The reason that I am questioning all this is that I don't have an Edge to clear codes, so I am hoping that with the DPF deleted, there really is no rush to delete the EGR.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The main pupose of the EGR is to reduce the amount of Nox compounds produced by the engine. It is an independent system from the dpf. Egr's have been around along time in gas engines. If you do the delete you will notice quite a few changes including less smoke without the dpf. The turbo produces boost sooner without the Egr clening up the exhaust. Just my 2 cents.

·
5,055 Posts
The EGR should still operate with the DPF gone. Meaning that it will cycle and pump exhaust through the intake. Your truck will be fine with DPF gone and EGR in place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts