Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Keven at K2 i deleted my egr. Its runs a lot better, one thing i did notice is i need more fuel, pre egr delete i smoked like a train, now i just barely get a puff. Of course it could be my mp8 i kinda bent the switch with my knee the other day. But it still feels like its on. IDK, but did anyone else notice a decrease in smoke after riding them selfs of egr? I know egr really kills your fresh air, but i didnt think itd be that much of a difference, i did see an increase in boost when from hight 20s-low 30s, to about 39 if the clutch dont slip.

·
Registered
383 Posts
With dmax's its very common to have a big decrease in smoke when you eliminate the egr. Cummins is probably the same. Gettin rid of egr is worth a decrease in smoke imo.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Turn your MP-8 up to 100%. I found the knock almost vanished when I did that & I get the nice black "puff' out the tail pipe when I first start it up like I did on my tricked out 5.9.

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
125 Posts
wouldnt u think that u would get more smoke with the egr deleted? idk just wondering.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no because your getting cleaner air and more of it.i expected to clean up some. i just didnt expect it to almost dissapper.

Im pretty sure its all the way up. like a said i may have broke the switch. It runs like a beat dog tho. clutch slips with any more than half throttle. even in sixth.

·
Registered
383 Posts
did you use to have a dmax?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I don't have any smoke with the egr gone. I have to turn the MP-8 all the way on and the edge to 5 to get even a puff. I love IT!

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
My smoke went away with the EGR delete too. Now with the hot unlock and mp-8 on 100% i can get a little smoke on the freeway.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
Thanks to Keven at K2 i deleted my egr. Its runs a lot better, one thing i did notice is i need more fuel, pre egr delete i smoked like a train, now i just barely get a puff. Of course it could be my mp8 i kinda bent the switch with my knee the other day. But it still feels like its on. IDK, but did anyone else notice a decrease in smoke after riding them selfs of egr? I know egr really kills your fresh air, but i didnt think itd be that much of a difference, i did see an increase in boost when from hight 20s-low 30s, to about 39 if the clutch dont slip.
What are you doing about the codes that the EGR delete throw?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Edge, clear on start. Works Great:peelout

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Zac yes i use to have a Dmax.

Matt i just clear codes on start up mannualy with my PMT, so far when i clear the egr code, my DPF code doesnt pop up.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
Zac yes i use to have a Dmax.

Matt i just clear codes on start up mannualy with my PMT, so far when i clear the egr code, my DPF code doesnt pop up.
Talking to Buddy at BD, it sounded like they will be adding a Clear Code at start up feature on the PMT. Lets hope so.

What happens when you dont clear the codes on start up. With the codes that you do get. does it hinder the way the truck runs?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I hope not, because I do not have an instrument to clear codes on start up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
ECR Delete and requirement for more fuel

wouldnt u think that u would get more smoke with the egr deleted? idk just wondering.
It seems like the look-up tables in the ECR are geared to run less fuel when the EGR is operational because of the increase in non-combustible air. When you remove it the look-up tables stay the same and you end up with much more O2 going into the cylinders and not enough fuel - so it knocks. If you can force more fuel in (via MP-8), it brings the mixture back up to where it needs to be. Or so the theory goes... no one knows for sure but this makes the most sense so far.

I can hardly wait for a programmer to be released for the 6.7, that would take care of re-mapping the look-up tables. (I hope)

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
331 Posts
cant we fool the computer to think the EGR is on? Or once we do wont this problem of not enough fuel go away?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hey Chris, I understand a leaner fuel mixture would cause a knock with a gasser because of less fuel cooling the combustion chamber. But with a diesel?? It doesn't make sense to me. Could you or anyone else confirm that the knock increases with our engines. I will be deleting my DPF and EGR hopefully this weekend after I finish building my 5" side pipes.Thanks
Garry

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,909 Posts
The knock you are hearing is actually the result of a quick burn of what fuel is available. The noise is actually the flame front in the piston igniting a little to early. When the motor has the dirty charge present the flame front is slower and more controlled. Without the egr, the combustion is actually HOTTER than with it, I know you guys see lower egts, but that is a result of the faster burn. By the time the exhaust gases reach the manifold with the egr delete in place the have actually cooled off more becuse of the shorter event.

If you think of it this way it is a little easier to understand. What happens when you accidentally dump way to much cetane booster into your tank? Fuel knock. Again because the flame front in the cylinder is so fast and it ignites so early. Now take some two stroke oil and dump a healthy amount into your tank. Viola fuel knock gone. Why? The two stroke oil actually slows down the speed of the combustion and will quiet out the knock much as the EGR gas will.

·
Registered
694 Posts
smart man

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
The knock you are hearing is actually the result of a quick burn of what fuel is available. The noise is actually the flame front in the piston igniting a little to early. When the motor has the dirty charge present the flame front is slower and more controlled. Without the egr, the combustion is actually HOTTER than with it, I know you guys see lower egts, but that is a result of the faster burn. By the time the exhaust gases reach the manifold with the egr delete in place the have actually cooled off more becuse of the shorter event.

If you think of it this way it is a little easier to understand. What happens when you accidentally dump way to much cetane booster into your tank? Fuel knock. Again because the flame front in the cylinder is so fast and it ignites so early. Now take some two stroke oil and dump a healthy amount into your tank. Viola fuel knock gone. Why? The two stroke oil actually slows down the speed of the combustion and will quiet out the knock much as the EGR gas will.
Very interesting Information.

BTW, how you coming on those blocker plates?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts