Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I made an aluminum plate for the intake horn, and two steel plates for the manifold.

I was all set to do the EGR cooler delete today but I am not sure if I should risk damaging the gaskets.

Am I being too cautious?

I took the valve off the horn to make my final holes in the aluminum and the gasket there looked fine. Some sealant came off but the gasket itself was not damaged.

Should I just suck it up and do it?

·
Registered
418 Posts
i woul try it.. if it leaks then buy some new gaskets....

or run down to napa or some auto store and get some sealant and put just alittle bit of that on when you do it..

just my .02

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i woul try it.. if it leaks then buy some new gaskets....

or run down to napa or some auto store and get some sealant and put just alittle bit of that on when you do it..

just my .02
Yeah, that's true. I may order some anyway, if it leaks I'll replace them. They'll be a hell of a lot easier to get to after it's all gone!

·
Regen? What's That??
1,057 Posts
When I did my cooler delete yesterday my factory gaskets in the rear leaked.. (they were looking pretty bad to start with..) but decided to try them anyhow..

Put it all together.. and they leaked...

So I installed the new ones that came with the kit.. no more leak.. took like 10 minutes or less to swap out.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Done! Took a while. Got done with some of it and realized I needed a stubby 15mm and a deep 10mm. Had to put it back together and run to Depot.

Got back and took it apart. Got it all done. I lost one of the rear nuts. I think it dropped onto the tranny or rear of the engine somewhere. Luckily, I had a few extra nuts that fit those studs!

I need to check if it's leaking, though.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,907 Posts
Quite a few of the 07's had the rear cooler gasket blow out so that is why I include new ones with my kits. They also changed the factory torque spec and bumped it up in 08 to provide a little better clamping load. As a general rule of thumb stamped steel gaskets (like the ones at both cooler locations) shouldn't be reused because there rolled bead in them is only good for one clamping load after that it is distorted and will leak. The ones on the intake side that are that kind of graphite mesh gasket are fine to reuse because they have a thickness that will compress to fill voids more than once (provided it didn't stick to one surface or the other and pull apart when initially unseated).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts