Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the expense of sounding like a newbie (because I am new to the 6.7 CTD), is it possible to just do the EGR, DPF, and cooler deletes without the use of a tuner AND be code free, or are the tuners like the XRT, Smarty, and Black Maxx part of the simulators, which are the reason the engine computer can remain code free?

My guess is there are simulators out there, or perhaps a guy can make his own with resistors, to keep the stock computer happy. Are not many of the simulators nothing more then a resistor in a plug?

The reason I ask is I am expecting an 09 truck, which is built after the March cut off date for the locked computers. To be honest, I think I would be perfectly happy with a stock setting on the engine management comp, if I can just get rid of the emissions equipment, so to purchase a tuner would kind of be money wasted, unless it is necessary for the sake of being code free.

Until someone finds a way around the locked computers, I will not be able to dial it up anyway.

·
Premium Member
10,370 Posts
Yow will get a CEL and possibly codes by doing the EGR delete.

You can make your sims for the DPF delete to keep the truck from going into regen and there is a DIY link floating around which I'm sure one of the guys will point it out.

James
RSD

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. So when a guy orders a complete EGR/DPF delete kit, are the simulators that come with the kit just a couple male plugs with the resistors soldered to the pins? Or is the simulator a function of the tuner?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the replies. So when a guy orders a complete EGR/DPF delete kit, are the simulators that come with the kit just a couple male plugs with the resistors soldered to the pins? Or is the simulator a function of the tuner?
There are vendors that sell just the sims. XRT comes with sims. Getting ready to do my dpf tomorrow (Thanks James).

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That makes sense. Pretty much what I thought.

So if I have the simulators, but no tuner, I will not be code or check engine light free? What does the tuner do exactly, to get rid of the codes? I've read some clear codes before start up. Others just run code free all of the time and you don't have to wait for the tuner to delete the codes before starting the truck.

Do those tuners that run code free, download something into the engine computer? Turn off the EGR/DPF function internally? If so, will I have a problem because my computer is one of the last 09s and it will have the bootlegger software?

·
Registered
34 Posts
That makes sense. Pretty much what I thought.

So if I have the simulators, but no tuner, I will not be code or check engine light free? What does the tuner do exactly, to get rid of the codes? I've read some clear codes before start up. Others just run code free all of the time and you don't have to wait for the tuner to delete the codes before starting the truck.

Do those tuners that run code free, download something into the engine computer? Turn off the EGR/DPF function internally? If so, will I have a problem because my computer is one of the last 09s and it will have the bootlegger software?
With just the sims, you won't be code free, but you shouldn't go into limp or regen mode either. As far as the tuners go, I can not help. My XRT gets here tomorrow (got my exhaust today).

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
DPF you can delete code free, EGR delete will throw a check engine light.

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
also the egr cooler delete on the 09 is different then the 07.5 and 08s, I have a thread on how I did it, not to hard but I think shibby is working on a kit right now.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good info. Nic, have a link to your 09 cooler delete?

That answers most of my questions, but I am still not sure what the tuners do to remain code free. If it includes downloading to the ECM, then will I have a problem? My truck isn't even built yet, so I am sure it will have the new 'locked' software.

Anyone know how long it will be before somebody finds a way around the bootlegger software.

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for that link.

·
DPF Performance
39 Posts
We offer a electronic that will delete the dpf and wont throw any codes on the truck. As well as XRT race tuners which are designed to delete the DPF and the EGR system while remaining code free.
PM if you would like some more information

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
You might be able to do the "E" deletes like I did on my truck. If you run a controller like the Edge Juice with Attitude and not a programmer it may work with the 09 ECM. I am sure that someone here has tried it to find out.

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts