Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Unreconstructed
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Shane and Lori. How's things goin over there in Texas?

Well, I was just wondering how far along yall were with the complete EGR delete?

I'm gonna PM yall with a few questions I have, that you're phone-salesman didn't answer for me.

Thanks,

AMM

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Hey Shane and Lori. How's things goin over there in Texas?

Well, I was just wondering how far along yall were with the complete EGR delete?

I'm gonna PM yall with a few questions I have, that you're phone-salesman didn't answer for me.

Thanks,

AMM
I second that. Post up your finding s AMM if u get a reply

·
Unreconstructed
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far, no response, but hopefully I'll get one soon.

·
Registered
100 Posts
dumb question but ... I'm curious about that EGR Delete. What does EGR stand for? What does it do? Why did they put it there if we don't need it? How would I benefit from removing it? thanks

·
Unreconstructed
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, and welcome to CumminsForum.

Maybe this little "diesel-dictionary" might help you out.

1.) EGR - "Exhaust Gas Recirculation". It allows some of your exhaust gas to be recycled back into your air intake to be re-burned. The only reason it's there, is because Dodge is a bunch of idiots, and they were trying to be the first diesel to pass the 2010 Emission Standards. That's why it's on there. Along with the DPF's and some other things.

2.) DPF - "Diesel Particulate Filter". Is a filter that traps, and burns-off microscopic pieces of particulate (exhaust debris, that the state of California (tree-hugging hippies), claim to be harmful), caused during combustion in a diesel engine.

3.) REGEN - "Regeneration Process". A process performed by all diesel vehicles equipped with a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). This process allows the injection of diesel fuel into the cylinders, during the off-stroke, which in turn causes more fuel to be burned, which in turn causes hotter combustion, which creates hotter EGT's (Exhaust Gas Temperatures), to get the DPF hot-enough to burn-off the particulate matter, that has been trapped in the screens inside of the DPF.

·
Unreconstructed
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, and removing it, will make your truck run "cleaner" because it's not sucking in pre-burnt exhaust fumes back into the engine, to be burnt, again!

It slowly is killing these motors, because it will "soot-up" or "sludge-up" the engine over an extended period of time.

That is the main reason to eliminate the REGEN (which causes poor fuel mileage), and hotter EGT's, and once you do that, there really is no more need for an EGR setup.

In my opinion, a diesel should have NEVER been outfitted with one anyway! Along with DPF's and a REGEN process!

Because it goes like this:

If you eliminate the DPF's, there is no need for the REGEN process.

If you eliminate the REGEN process, there is no need for an EGR setup.

If you eliminate all 3, then your vehicle performance mods become virtually limitless (It basically turns our motors, into a newer, bored-out and stroked 5.9 Cummins).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey Alabama, how often would you say does the Regen occur (dumps extra fuel on the off stoke) - does it happen only when the DP filter is getting plugged or does it happen all the time?

Is there any indication while its happening (visual or physical means)

When you install the delete kit is there a module to fool the ECU and if so where does it mount?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,459 Posts
Hey Alabama, how often would you say does the Regen occur (dumps extra fuel on the off stoke) - does it happen only when the DP filter is getting plugged or does it happen all the time?

Is there any indication while its happening (visual or physical means)

When you install the delete kit is there a module to fool the ECU and if so where does it mount?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Hey Mike,

The active regen occurs when the DPF fills to a specified level. the general concensus is that this usually happens about every 400-500 miles depending on all the typical variables (load, speed, city vs. highway, big tires, etc etc etc).

When the truck goes into an active regen the EGT's will raise which is your best indication that the regen is occuring. Some have also made note of a unique smell coming from the exhaust while in regen though I myself have never noticed such a thing. Another way to tell is to watch your EVIC fuel economy readout. If you see your mileage start dropping for no apparent reason, you are likely in active regen.

There is a module that fools the ECM into believing the DPF is still present and functioning properly with a DPF delete kit. This module typically taps into the sensors plugged into the DPF and mounts to the inside of the frame so it is out of the way and still within reach of the exhaust sensors. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey Mike,

The active regen occurs when the DPF fills to a specified level. the general concensus is that this usually happens about every 400-500 miles depending on all the typical variables (load, speed, city vs. highway, big tires, etc etc etc).

When the truck goes into an active regen the EGT's will raise which is your best indication that the regen is occuring. Some have also made note of a unique smell coming from the exhaust while in regen though I myself have never noticed such a thing. Another way to tell is to watch your EVIC fuel economy readout. If you see your mileage start dropping for no apparent reason, you are likely in active regen.

There is a module that fools the ECM into believing the DPF is still present and functioning properly with a DPF delete kit. This module typically taps into the sensors plugged into the DPF and mounts to the inside of the frame so it is out of the way and still within reach of the exhaust sensors. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply - I just crawled around the bottom of the truck and aside from the sensors in that area, I also noticed some steel lines (before and after the filter) that run to both sides of the exhaust. Any idea what they do?

Thanks

Mike

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
They monitor the pressure differences before and after the filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts