Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Unreconstructed
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering about this the other day?

If you remove the EGR tube, and use block-off plates, then whynot just add a block-off plate to your intake...and remove the complete valve assembly, etc...off of your exhaust manifold, and use a block-off plate on your exhaust manifold (where exhaust comes out of manifold, to enter EGR cooler, before recirculation)?

Why can we not remove that huge "EGR-cooler" assembly with the cables that open and shut the valve? Does it serve any other purpose, or does it just have to be there for the harness' to plug into, so it doesn't throw any codes?

And if so, why don't re make a box that plugs into the harness' so we can remove that huge 40 lb. "thing" sitting on top of our exhaust! It would sure make things ALOT less cluttered under the hood, and make it look alot like a 5.9L!!!

·
Registered
721 Posts
We're working on it! Give us some time and we'll get it done.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
It is something that I am gonna do at some point. You will get more codes because that mixing valve will be unplugged. You will also have to reroute a coolant line in the process. Shouldnt be too hard though.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,917 Posts
Yep still workin on it, my job is gettin in the way of my hobbies. :CRY:

P

·
0 Posts
Modified Question

Let me modify his question.

Why can't we just take the cross over tube out and cap both ends, leaving the EGR in place.

How about putting a thin blocking plate under the EGR valve or just leave it the way it is? Then it will see the devices and just won't pass gas. :w:

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Let me modify his question.

Why can't we just take the cross over tube out and cap both ends, leaving the EGR in place.

How about putting a thin blocking plate under the EGR valve or just leave it the way it is? Then it will see the devices and just won't pass gas. :w:
If you do it that way the cavities that you don't block off will pressure up when you are boosting. Not very efficient. Also a few of the members who just added a thin plate found that condensation built up on top of the plate. This could freeze if you are in a cold climate and break the housing.

·
5,059 Posts
Also if you leave the EGR valve plugged in, you will get a bunch of codes and you truck will act weird.

P

·
0 Posts
MMMMM Something is disarray here. I replied to this thread earlier and it's gone.

I said previously
If the EGR valve was not block, all it would do is delay the boost a few milliseconds while it filled the EGR chamber. Once it's pressureized, all things are equal. . . .

Anyway
Cowboy

Why would it throw codes with just the cross over pipe off? I would think it would throw codes if it was unplugged. Infact, I know it will.

·
5,059 Posts
I am not sure exactly why but it does. I would imagine it is more then a simple switch opening valve. there are 8 wires going to that valve. So with the valve plugged in it must talk to the sensors and realize there is no flow. If you unplug it and it thinks the valve is gone then it cannot talk to the other sensors? Just shooting a thought out there. All i know is leaving it plugged in will not work well. Seen it happen.

·
Unreconstructed
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No No No No No! Polaraco, did NOT modify my question accurately!!!

What I was asking was...Why can we not remove the ENTIRE EGR assembly (valves, cables, wires, coolant tubes, etc...) from both sides of the engine bay!!!

Like...the whole damn thing! I'm talking "Bare-Bonesing" it! Intake manifold with no EGR anything...and Exhaust manifold with NO EGR anything. Just plain ole' Intake manifold (like a 5.9), and a plain ole' exhaust manifold (like a 5.9).

Get it now!?

In other words...basically making our engine-bays look exactly like a 5.9...without any un-necessary EGR crap!

Is anyone going to make a box that plugs into the EGR harness' so we CAN remove the ENTIRE setup from both intake and exhaust manifolds? Then all we have to do, is just re-route the coolant line...or just "cap" it off at the radiator...DUH!

Doesn't that sound like an awesome idea!? Does anyone feel like making a few...I'd love to BETA-Test one out, if only someone will make it.

I would....However, i'm not that good at soldering circuits and recepticles and crunching codes on computers! Haha!

·
5,059 Posts
Well Like i said. I am planning on doing up the EGR Cooler Delete like i did with the other side. Then you will have the clean engine bay. I wish i had the ability to build a fooler for the EGR plugs but i just aint that smart. LOL.

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
I have run with it plugged in and with it unplugged and seen no codes at all with it plugged in other than what could have been there on start up

P

·
0 Posts
No No No No No! Polaraco, did NOT modify my question accurately!!!

What I was asking was...Why can we not remove the ENTIRE EGR assembly (valves, cables, wires, coolant tubes, etc...) from both sides of the engine bay!!!

Like...the whole damn thing! I'm talking "Bare-Bonesing" it! Intake manifold with no EGR anything...and Exhaust manifold with NO EGR anything. Just plain ole' Intake manifold (like a 5.9), and a plain ole' exhaust manifold (like a 5.9).

Get it now!?

In other words...basically making our engine-bays look exactly like a 5.9...without any un-necessary EGR crap!

Is anyone going to make a box that plugs into the EGR harness' so we CAN remove the ENTIRE setup from both intake and exhaust manifolds? Then all we have to do, is just re-route the coolant line...or just "cap" it off at the radiator...DUH!

Doesn't that sound like an awesome idea!? Does anyone feel like making a few...I'd love to BETA-Test one out, if only someone will make it.

I would....However, i'm not that good at soldering circuits and recepticles and crunching codes on computers! Haha!
No, I was asking my version because both questions would get similar answers.

Sorry, I sorta hijacked this thread, but I asked this question a week ago and got no replies at all. :CRY:

Both of our questions are relevant to the same thing. It sounds like we wait on the EGR delete until the boys think up a code free box. It can be done. If I had the time, I could probably do it. It sounds pretty simple to make one. . . Maybe. . . .

Why would you want to remove the exhaust brake?

·
Unreconstructed
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wait a minute...! That big ole' thing is my exhaust brake??? Nah! Can't be?

If part of it is my exhasut brake...which part is the EGR cooler, and which part of it is the exhaust brake...?

Wow, it's been WAAAYYY too long since I've looked at my engine bay!

I wish the dealership would hurry up and fix my truck, so I can get back to tinkering-around with it!

Anyone want to post any pics of which one is which...?

Sorry, I'm just having a "brain-fart", and for some reason I can't picture it in my head!!!

As for Polaraco, I see now where the mix-up was coming from! Anywho, hopefully both of our question will be answered in this thread!?

And, if that thing is my exhaust brake...don't you think they could have made it ALOT smaller than that! I mean, an aftermarket one is MUCH smaller than that big-ole' thing!

·
Unreconstructed
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And for the record...I can work-on and drive anything with or without wheels, so don't nobody go around thinkin I'm stupid... Haha!

Sorry, it's been a BAD week, and a LONG one, at that, and it's only Wednesday, so it's only gonna get longer!

P

·
0 Posts
:rof

Now I have to go look. . . But it is part of the exhaust brake. I think one of those cables goes to the waste gate. I haven't looked at where all that stuff goes. But when you are braking, your boost goes up. The harder you brake, the more boost. It may also be sending some exhaust to the EGR.

I think your options are to just block the tube for the delete

P

·
0 Posts
Yep That whole elaborate thing up there is the exhaust brake and part of the EGR system.

I was wrong about the two cables. They operate the flapper for the brake. It looks like it shuts off the EGR tube and brakes that way. Of coarse I would think it would send more heat down to the main manifold and heat up the converter.

That probably explains why you hear the brake working sometimes while it's idling. I remember the dealer telling me it assisted the DPF and was supposed to help maintain a certain temperature.

The guys who have done the delete already can tell you what changed, if anything. Cowboy? You out there?

So I would say, you don't want to take it off and still have the brake. Frankly I have no idea where you would put an aftermarket on this one. . . You'd have to loose a cat. And I think the aftermarket units work better too.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The two cables opperate the egr valve not the exhaust brake. The exhaust brake is a slide on the turbo (electronicly activated) that chokes off the ehaust flow and spins the turbo up.

·
5,059 Posts
Rockwerx's has it right. That is just the Mixing valve on top of the exhaust manifold. The E-brake isnt really even an E-brake. Its just a by product of the VGT. Both Chevy and Ford are running VGTs that could also have a built in exhaust brake, but like dodge is with the Built in Brake Controller, they choose not to. Hopefully that clears that issue up :p

P

·
0 Posts
I thought it didn't make sense. I'm glad I PM'd you Cowboy. I haven't had much time to syudy the darned thing. Actually I didn't even look at the turbo.

Then what the hay! That whole thing can be removed?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts