Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

221 - 240 of 356 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
I just did my EGR delete about a week ago and i'm getting a weird noise coming from the turbo (I think). It only does it when I start the truck up and it only lasts for a split second. Is anyone else having this happen with the EGR delete?
ya sure it's not your a/c clutch?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I think he meant the clutch turning on.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think he meant the clutch turning on.
The noise is a lot louder than that and its more noticable. I wonder if I need to clean the turbo out like other guys are doing but it seems to be wired that it happened right after I did the EGR delete.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It would stand to reason that even on a basic understanding of what goes on in a thermodynamic cycle of an engine there is a cause behind fuel knock. If you look at a stock motor, using the EGR system at a particular instance, say using 80% fresh air charge and 20% recirculated (dirty) charge. With that mixture you will only need enough fuel to efficiently burn 80% of the potential air taken in. Now, say you delete the EGR and you get 100% fresh air charge. Your computer still thinks it only needs to burn the 80% leaving you with a lean burn as it would need 25% more fuel to run at the same efficiency level.
Will this hurt anything now and in the long run? I'm about to feel the power of a REAL TRUCK:peelout, when the delete gets here from BADP........:hyper:

·
Registered
36 Posts
No one watch this thread anymore?

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
no in the long run it will hurt nothing, The 5.9 and 6.7 are essentially the same engine, fuel maps a little different and obviously all the emissions crap too, but I get timing rattle will not hurt anything. Just keep an ear on it and make sure it doesn't get any louder. Some tanks of fuel will vary the noise as well. Just something to keep in mind. Bottom line, any drawbacks of an EGR delete are FAR out weighed by the pluses

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
If you leave everything intact yes, it should pass a visual test except the EGR valve unplugged. If you leave it plugged in the truck will not run correctly. If you only plug it in for dealer trips they will know something is up with the CEL on anyways. But as far as visual, yes you can use thinner plates and leave it all on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
no in the long run it will hurt nothing, The 5.9 and 6.7 are essentially the same engine, fuel maps a little different and obviously all the emissions crap too, but I get timing rattle will not hurt anything. Just keep an ear on it and make sure it doesn't get any louder. Some tanks of fuel will vary the noise as well. Just something to keep in mind. Bottom line, any drawbacks of an EGR delete are FAR out weighed by the pluses
Good, thanks for the reply!!! Is there any way to fix this problem?

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
im guessing this should only take a lil bit. from the directions it seems as if its a pretty simple minded thing. im no mechanic, but these instructions are great. all else fails read instructions right?

also... fuel knock? is that the sound im hearing that sounds like a hondas valves that are wrecked to that burning place below earth?

·
Registered
23 Posts
wow..now illegal in all 50 states..

First off...ever hear of a power washer??

Ripping down an engine with it filthy is not the smartest thing I have seen.

But, with your little mod completed, you no longer have a warranty..PERIOD...and when your truck registration expires and you have to get it inspected prior to registration..

you fail...and you loose...

not a wise post to spread around..sorry...

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
Wow, hostility, from a noob none the less. The areas he was working on were on the top of the engine, making absolutely no difference how dirty all the other crap is below it, with nothing on top why would it matter how dirty it is? As far as the warranty, it takes not even 10 minutes to reinstall these parts so that doesn't matter either. Registration? I am not sure about his state, but mine they only look at the vin tag, not only that it isn't their job to determine what is stock and what isn't. Isn't legal in any state, true, but there are only maybe 5-7 states that test diesels for emissions, so again unless you are in the communist state of caulifornia, you probably wont have any problems with johnny law because your truck is going to smoke LESS after doing this mod. Please return to the rock you crawled out of under and keep personal attacks to yourself.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I guess since a programmer will void our warranties we better not try to get our trucks registered with programmers on them. We loose, we fail. After taking my air horn off to do the mp8 shimms I was amazed to see the amount of soot thats going back into the engine, it cant be good. Engine fails, we loose...PERIOD...that comment belongs in the garage on the shelf with the rest of the tools. Go buy a prius

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have some friends that work for dodge and they have told me if u have a problem with the truck and the aftermarket part u put on caused it then it will void your warranty but most dealers will look over that

·
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #236

But, with your little mod completed, you no longer have a warranty..PERIOD...and when your truck registration expires and you have to get it inspected prior to registration..

Thank you very much for your comments. I will find a dictionary and look up power washer. If you have any more useful tips for us please feel free to post. I am well aware that this mod will void my warranty. If you look at the mods listed in my sig i am not worried about the warranty. If this thread is of no use to you please just move on past it and reserve posts as above for yourself. Thanks Again!:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
wow.. now that was comedy. thanks js40... seriously.
so.. whats new in the world of egrs? whens the cooler coming off?

·
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
As soon as a get a day off and the 15 staples out of the back of my head. LOL!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts

Get the sand out of your vagina and be a man :coocoo

Oh yeah :welcome:

·
Registered
694 Posts
ha ha :thumbsup

221 - 240 of 356 Posts