Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

EGR cooler delete

14313 122
I just did the EGR cooler bypass and the exhaust is substantially louder. When e-brake is engaged and rpm is @2000 when you let off the accelerator it sounds like a big rig. The exhaust drone though at 2300 rpm is too loud. Anyone done the delete and noticed a difference too.
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

· Registered
841 Posts
I just did the EGR cooler bypass and the exhaust is substantially louder. When e-brake is engaged and rpm is @2000 when you let off the accelerator it sounds like a big rig. The exhaust drone though at 2300 rpm is too loud. Anyone done the delete and noticed a difference too.
I noticed that it was a bit louder. I also noticed that my E-brake is alot weaker now after the delete.

· Banned
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I noticed that it was a bit louder. I also noticed that my E-brake is alot weaker now after the delete.
My e-brake does seems to work a little different. Its not as strong at high rpm engagement. I dont see how this is unless the EGR cooler was allowing exhaust to equalize better through the two openings. Hell I dont know. It does sound cool though. I went out last night with the pods drinking and they said they heard me 2 miles away getting onto the farm to market road. They all drive fords and I know there envious.:lol3:

· Registered
382 Posts
Cooler

My e-brake does seems to work a little different. Its not as strong at high rpm engagement. I dont see how this is unless the EGR cooler was allowing exhaust to equalize better through the two openings. Hell I dont know. It does sound cool though. I went out last night with the pods drinking and they said they heard me 2 miles away getting onto the farm to market road. They all drive fords and I know there envious.:lol3:
Smoke, what did you do with the electronics on the cooler. And block off plates for the manifold?

· Banned
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I made my own blockoff plates and ziptied the servo motor to the top of the intake horn where the other blockoff plates are.

Attachments

· Registered
467 Posts
I made my own blockoff plates and ziptied the servo motor to the top of the intake horn where the other blockoff plates are.
whats the benifit of this over just the regular egr delete? and did it throw any other codes?

· Banned
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont know if it throws any codes since I delete mine before I start the truck. I'm sure it would throw codes. The only thing I noticed is my Engine coolant doent get as hot as before. It seems to stay around 190-195. Wish I could find a little cooler thermostat to put on the truck to give my oil a slight break.

· Banned
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man I got to see this jewel of yours one day!
I'll be going to victoria farm and equip one day next week and to AOC. I still got you number saved and I'll give you a ring.

· Registered
467 Posts
I'll be going to victoria farm and equip one day next week and to AOC. I still got you number saved and I'll give you a ring.
not to bug ya but could you post a step buy step instuctions like what i need to blck off and unplug or leave pluged in i think im gonna do it tonight if i have enough aluminum to build the plates

· Registered
382 Posts
Cool Deal!

Ok, that sounds awesome, If its around lunch time, let me know and its on me.

· Banned
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ill try to get it together. May be able to put pieces where they went as a reference. Since there all off now it may take a while. As far as aluminnum for the plates, I dont think (may be wrong though) the aluminnum will hold on the exhaust side for plates. I used 1/2 steel and man did the heat discolor them already. may be too hot for aluminnum though or I may be wrong.

· Banned
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This all what you will have to remove. After all this is gone you should see the opening it leaves. Big enough to remove the turbo easily for a good cleaning.:thumbsup

Attachments

· Registered
467 Posts
Ill try to get it together. May be able to put pieces where they went as a reference. Since there all off now it may take a while. As far as aluminnum for the plates, I dont think (may be wrong though) the aluminnum will hold on the exhaust side for plates. I used 1/2 steel and man did the heat discolor them already. may be too hot for aluminnum though or I may be wrong.
yea your prob right and i know ihave steel plate.. i mean is it pretty simple? pull the stuff off plug the holes and zip ty the motor up out of the way? or pretty indepth?

· Banned
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You know theres alot of nic nac little bolts and nuts that hold shields on and getting to the rear flange to remove the 15mm nuts is kinda tuff. These are in the order which I removed. The last one to come off is the mixing valve, the 15mm nut could not be removed till everything was removed so I could a wrench in there.

Attachments

· Registered
467 Posts
You know theres alot of nic nac little bolts and nuts that hold shields on and getting to the rear flange to remove the 15mm nuts is kinda tuff. These are in the order which I removed. The last one to come off is the mixing valve, the 15mm nut could not be removed till everything was removed so I could a wrench in there.
alright thanks man! ill see what i can do o as far as teh electronics just leave them pluged in?

· Banned
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Leave em plugged in. There is just one plug that goes to the servo motor for the mixing valve, leave it plugged in. Thats it, its really simple to do, its just time consuming removing the parts and making the plates.

· Registered
467 Posts
ok man thanks!

· Registered
186 Posts
Thats awsome work smoke46. There is a whole lot of extra room in there!:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.