Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its already done, but I am staying at an airBnB for work and had to preform my EGR cleaning. This is my first time doing so and it was done late because I bought the truck at 72k miles and I guess the previous owner didn't feel the need to do so before trading it in.

So I rinsed out all the soot before and after letting it soak over night and to be honest I wasn't expecting that much. But this home is in an HOA and i don't want to get caught flat footed if they come at me with EPA regulations. Is it illegal to wash the soot in to the earth? Or down the storm drains?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Oh my, Yes, there are strict restrictions on what you can't put down storm and sanitary sewer drains. Your chance of being detected, caught, and prosecuted though are about the same as the discovery that Martians brought Covid-19 to Earth.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I would not worry about it. Its soot. No HOA is going to come up with a test kit and send samples to the EPA. Dump it, wash it down with water and be done with it.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
all you did was recycle, just like putting used motor oil into the ground, where it can't from! 😉

·
Registered
665 Posts
What year is your truck that is requires egr cleaning?
True. I believe the EGR cleaning was only on the 07-12 (pre DEF) trucks. However, I did read on Genos Garage site that an EGR cleaning was recommended by Cummins on 2013+ around the 200k mark.

·
Registered
13,693 Posts
Its a 2016, part of my 67,500 service.
There is no EGR cleaning required on 13+ trucks, not part of the 67,500 mile service, that is only for the CCV change anymore. It is no longer listed in the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What? Everything I read said I had to do it. The owners manual was not in the truck when I bought it. So I researched it myself and found nothing about that.....
O well. Its nice and clean now

·
Registered
13,693 Posts
What? Everything I read said I had to do it. The owners manual was not in the truck when I bought it. So I researched it myself and found nothing about that.....
All owner's manuals and associated diesel supplements are available at www.mopar.com the site also lists any recalls for your truck.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Is it illegal to wash the soot in to the earth? Or down the storm drains?
I'd say it is about as illegal as washing your car and letting all that road grime, brake dust, and soap go down the storm drain. If that is illegal where you are, this would be too. But it is a lot less obvious to the local busybodies than watching someone washing their car.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
If this virus thing cancels all my trips my truck won't see 3K miles a year. I hope Bill Gates is wrong.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Its clean now, but the 67,500 EGR cleaning went away with the 2013+(DEF) trucks. They use a lot less EGR then the 07-12 ones. Go to the ram owners and set up an account. Enter your VIN and you can get tons of info to include the manuals for you truck. Again, don't worry about washing the soot away. No one cares and like another member posted, its no different then washing your truck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well thank you all for ypur input.
I was at the dodge dealership 2 weeks ago and asked how much they charge to change the ccv filter while I was having my sunroof replaced. And instead of him telling me I don't need it, he told me they normally do an EGR valve cleaning with that at the same time and that's like 1300 bucks.
And they wonder why people don't trust dealerships to preform work. This was an actual dodge ram dealership and he already had my vehicle in the shop to know what year and everything it was by the way.

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,740 Posts

·
Registered
13,693 Posts
Like a few others here, regardless of its absence from Diesel Supplement Manual I was considering doing the EGR cleaning job when I did the CCV filter change using the Geno's kit as shown here>>>
https://www.genosgarage.com/product/ram-cummins-egr-cleaning-kit-with-crankcase-filter-egrkit1/new-products

So let me ask:
Now an EGR cleaning job NEVER needs to be done regardless of mileage? :confused013:

Thanks.
:confused013: Mine's been 521K without ever being serviced, but I drive mine different than most, almost 100% highway miles.

·
Registered
13,693 Posts
Well thank you all for ypur input.
I was at the dodge dealership 2 weeks ago and asked how much they charge to change the ccv filter while I was having my sunroof replaced. And instead of him telling me I don't need it, he told me they normally do an EGR valve cleaning with that at the same time and that's like 1300 bucks.
And they wonder why people don't trust dealerships to preform work. This was an actual dodge ram dealership and he already had my vehicle in the shop to know what year and everything it was by the way.
Service manager is out to make a buck, pad his commissions, and many are not up to date on new vehicle requirements. He hasn't been updated since the 07.5-12 pre-DEF trucks that they still recommended the EGR servicing be done.

And, even if it was still recommended, 1300 is absolutely outrageous anyway.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
It is sad they would state a price like that. Ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts