Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching the threads I guess I will ask my rookie question. Other than eliminating the junk entering the motor, what are the benefits to removing the EGR and EGR Cooler? I am looking for MPGs and a little more power.

·
Registered
922 Posts
The biggest benefit of the EGR delete IS eliminating the junk going into the engine. If you use either a H&S or Smarty tuner to delete the EGR then you will see an increase in both MPG and power.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Everything about deleting the EGR is a benifit...... other than is takes motor longer to warm up in the winter without the hot exhaust dumping into the intake.

If a warranty isnt a consern just delete it. My warrantly is a concern (at the moment.... 2011 with 2,000 miles)..... so i have mine.

***ETA: I know nothing of emissions testing as it isnt required here.

Dave

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I just did mine, and let me tell you. The truck runs a hell of a lot better, but if you live somewhere cold order a grill cover at the same time because my truck idles for 20min before I leave for work and by the time I get to work its still not up to peak operating temperature. Granted it is only about 6 or 7 miles. I would do it and not look back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so if i buy the $99 EGR delete kit, do i have to delete the dpf as well. Basically, can i delete the EGR and the only issue i will have is a light on the dash or is there anything else i must do in order to delete the EGR. I would love to get rid of that non beneficial waste of metal we call a dpf but that is quite expensive so if i can get rid of the EGR and keep that junk outta the motor and possibly get a few MPGs then that would be nice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did the egr/cooler delete on my 2010 at 1200 miles. I now have 4000trouble free miles, increasesd hp and significant mpg gains. Definitely worth it to me!

·
Registered
271 Posts
The ONLY benefit I found in the DPF exhaust system was this... It kept the "diesel smell" down. If you delete the DPF exhaust you will have better millage/a cleaner running truck but ALSO the good old diesel truck smell.

In my opinion, it is well worth it!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ok, so if i buy the $99 EGR delete kit, do i have to delete the dpf as well. Basically, can i delete the EGR and the only issue i will have is a light on the dash or is there anything else i must do in order to delete the EGR. I would love to get rid of that non beneficial waste of metal we call a dpf but that is quite expensive so if i can get rid of the EGR and keep that junk outta the motor and possibly get a few MPGs then that would be nice.
If you want to cut down on the EGR process and save money, just unplug the EGR solenoid at the intake manifold. You can run it like that without having to get rid of the DPF. You will, however, have a CEL.

If you want to completely turn it off (the emissions), you need a tuner = $.

If you completely turn it off (the emissions), you will need to delete the DPF = more $.

I ran my truck for the past few months with the EGR "unplugged". A few weeks ago, I dropped the cash for the tuner (I went with H&S) and a DPF delete exhaust.

I couldn't be happier!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts