Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been offered tuning on my 06 from a local gentleman. He says he's able to do EFILive tuning (licensed to do so), and apparently has a few tunes available. With what very little conversation I've had with him, he's suggested a tune from Adrenalin Truck Performance (Rod Coddens) as I don't want anything crazy and would like to keep the stock tranny alive for the time being. I'm not sure how the EFILive thing works and am curious what you guys think. Haven't talked $$ yet, so no idea how much. Thanks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You better just go for a 90hp tune if you want your trans to last.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rob Coddens is one of the top tuners in the nation. He can set you up with tuning from mild to wild.
I get that. My question is about the person who will be putting the tune on my truck. I guess he has purchased a tune from Rob and has a tuner he's licensed to use on my truck. I'm really just asking about how EFILive works in general...I won't be buying a programmer, just getting a tune.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not only that, but it is tied to a VIN. So for this guy to flash your truck, it'll cost $99 for a vin license, on top of whatever you pay for the tune from someone else(unless it's being rolled into the cost of the tune).

In my humble opinion, you are better off getting a smarty unless you want to put the time into learning how to tune with EFI-Live. If you do want to learn, go ahead and buy it for yourself from Adrenalin. I'm sure you can get them to throw in a starter tune or two to work with for a small nominal fee, if not free.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Not only that, but it is tied to a VIN. So for this guy to flash your truck, it'll cost $99 for a vin license, on top of whatever you pay for the tune from someone else(unless it's being rolled into the cost of the tune).

In my humble opinion, you are better off getting a smarty unless you want to put the time into learning how to tune with EFI-Live. If you do want to learn, go ahead and buy it for yourself from Adrenalin. I'm sure you can get them to throw in a starter tune or two to work with for a small nominal fee, if not free.

Sounded like he was going to have a guy flash in a tune from Idaho Rob/ATP.

I would definetely take his custom tuning over a Smarty canned tune anyday.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sounded like he was going to have a guy flash in a tune from Idaho Rob/ATP.

I would definetely take his custom tuning over a Smarty canned tune anyday.

I read that as he knows a guy that can get him a tune from Rob. To me that's at least one level removed. That still doesn't solve the problem of not being able to change your own tune though, which is what EFI is really about. Who makes a change to their truck and then never makes any more? Any time you have a major modification change, you should be updating the tune on the truck. EFI Live will allow you to make the right changes if you know how. If you don't know how, and you don't want to spend the time to learn, then some kind of tuner box is going to be what you want to use. It's not going to be as good, ever, but it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
contact the guys at left coast diesel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.