Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2011 RAM 2500. I am looking into either the H&S or EFI Live with Edge CTS Monitor as a tuning unit for the coming deletes I'll be doing. I cannot find much information on the EFI Live setup as most people are gung-ho for H&S.

My question is this: Is EFI Live just like any other tuner that walks you through the steps of installing a tune on your truck OR is it more so a tool used to custom tune a vehicle? Can a novice like myself tune a truck like this using EFI live or will I have to take it to be tuned?

Any help would be greatly appreciated- I do not know hardly anything about EFI Live.

·
Registered
93 Posts
efi works on 06-09 and does not work with the cts as far as i know maybe somebody that does the tuning for the can give more info.

·
Registered
377 Posts
EFI Live is just software and hardware. They do NOT supply tunes like H&S, Smarty, RaceME, Bully Dog, etc.

You have two choices with EFI Live.

1. Find a tuner that will sell you an AutoCal with tunes specific to your vehicle.
2. Learn to tune your vehicle yourself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EFI Live is just software and hardware. They do NOT supply tunes like H&S, Smarty, RaceME, Bully Dog, etc.

You have two choices with EFI Live.

1. Find a tuner that will sell you an AutoCal with tunes specific to your vehicle.
2. Learn to tune your vehicle yourself.
So can I just buy it and take it to a place like Gearhead and have them tune it for me?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Auto cal you purchase from a shop/tuner and you're locked to that one tuner. I believe you can switch tuners though if you want. They just have to unlock it.

Flash scan v2 you can write tunes yourself or purchase some tunes from someone else.

But from what I understand whenever the cp5 switches come out(ability to change between tunes on the fly) you need to be using the autocal... But I could be completely wrong as well... New to efi live myself and been using a mini max since I bought the truck in '12

·
Registered
377 Posts
But from what I understand whenever the cp5 switches come out(ability to change between tunes on the fly) you need to be using the autocal... But I could be completely wrong as well... New to efi live myself and been using a mini max since I bought the truck in '12
I think this part is incorrect. If you have a V2, you have the ability to do anything with the ECM that EFI Live software is capable of. You can use an AutoCal to change tunes with CSP, but I'm under the assumption that you could do it with a V2 as well. There is also at least one external dial that can change tunes with CSP without having to have the AutoCal connected.

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I think this part is incorrect. If you have a V2, you have the ability to do anything with the ECM that EFI Live software is capable of. You can use an AutoCal to change tunes with CSP, but I'm under the assumption that you could do it with a V2 as well. There is also at least one external dial that can change tunes with CSP without having to have the AutoCal connected.

Yeah I may have just read it that way since I think the guy was having someone write him his tunes...

But yeah from what I understand depending on what space is available in the ECM for multiple tunes will dictate if that CSP switch or whatever it is will work for us or not... And that'll require the ob2 port... So that'll take away some digital monitoring options unless you are able to switch tunes and plugs...

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
EFI Live just got announced for the 4th gen crowd. Is it better than H&S? Well EFI Live is just a tool used to tune your ECM so it is only as good as the person doing the tunes. Yes it can be better than a stock H&S tune, far better in fact. It will also be cheaper, prices haven't been set yet but you can plan on spending about half as much as a H&S tuner.

The Auto Cal was designed to be used by the end user and is very easy to operate and any reputable shop will provide complete instructions for install.

It will likely be a month or two before it is ready to go completely. I would say personally its worth the wait you will be in better shape in the long run going with EFI Live. Just find a shop/tuner your comfortable with and they will guide you threw the entire process. You will be placing the order with the tuner and he will ship you the device you wont need to buy anything directly. My suggestion would be to get in contact with Anarchy Diesel, they do very good work and have some of the best tuners working for them.

·
08 Cummins
2,119 Posts
Yeah I may have just read it that way since I think the guy was having someone write him his tunes...

But yeah from what I understand depending on what space is available in the ECM for multiple tunes will dictate if that CSP switch or whatever it is will work for us or not... And that'll require the ob2 port... So that'll take away some digital monitoring options unless you are able to switch tunes and plugs...
You can get the CSP5 switch from SoCal with a pass through OBDII connector allowing you to run the switch and a monitor that requires access to the OBDII port.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
You can get the CSP5 switch from SoCal with a pass through OBDII connector allowing you to run the switch and a monitor that requires access to the OBDII port.

Oohhhh me likie!!!!! Plan on keeping my mini for idle up feature!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Well so far the only way I've read or seen for the 4th gen G56s to be idled up via the mini max... Older generations it could be enabled in the ecm and ground a pin somewhere... But I guess the option had been completely removed from the manuals ecm or whatever computer controls that...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Brand new to researching 4th gen performance coming from 2nd gen... But can the EFI LIVE tune the 68rfe in a 2010 like the H&S?

Might be putting a deposit down on a '10 Laramie CCSB with 96k miles ($32k) and have spent a lot of time the last 24 hours researching the '10-'12 pickups. Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Brand new to researching 4th gen performance coming from 2nd gen... But can the EFI LIVE tune the 68rfe in a 2010 like the H&S?
They have not released trans tuning quite yet. My guess is it wont be too far off though.

Well so far the only way I've read or seen for the 4th gen G56s to be idled up via the mini max... Older generations it could be enabled in the ecm and ground a pin somewhere... But I guess the option had been completely removed from the manuals ecm or whatever computer controls that...
I have not yet seen the 4th gen parameters but on the older trucks you could tune with efi live you had the option to change idle speed based on ambient temperature. Might be an option.

·
Registered
176 Posts
CSP capabilities... More than likely, the csp5 (on-the-fly tune switching) capabilities will not be offered with the efi live public release for the 10+ cummins. Hopefully it won't take long for this option though. Please note that the csp5/dsp5 capabilities are built into the tunes themselves, so regardless of whether the tunes are loaded onto the truck with an autocal or v2, you still have ability to switch tunes on the fly via a dsp switch or edge insight monitor(provided it's supported for the particular year/make truck and the tunes are created as dsp/csp tunes). Basically, you can have/use dsp/csp tuning with either autocal or v2.

As stated earlier, efi live provides a means of tuning your truck...but does not provide you with base tunes or anything similar to H&S, smarty, bullydog, etc etc... With that said, doing your research and finding a tuner that is VERY well respected/experienced in the efi live arena is your best method for ensuring you get tunes that are clean, efficient, strong, thorough, and safe. I do not recommend simply finding someone locally, unless one of the elite tuners happens to live nearby. If you'd like to try a few different tuners, I'd recommend getting a V2 so that it's easier to switch between different tuners and their tunes. The autocal is linked to the tuners v2, and anytime you want to switch tuners, you will need to have the old tuner un-link your autocal before you can use a different tuners tunes. If you have a v2, you can simply purchase the tunes only from the tuner and load them onto your vehicle using the v2. And anytime you want to change tuners, you can just buy the tunes from another tuner, and load them onto the v2 to flash the truck.

Also note that with efi live, new tunes and revised tunes can/will be emailed to the end-user to load onto the autocal or v2 to flash the truck. So lets say you bought some new toys for your truck(turbo, injectors and tranny), and you wanted a new set of tunes built... Contact your tuner(that built your original tunes) and let them know what all you changed. With a good tuner, they will be able to modify your tunes to accommodate your upgrades, and then they'll email you the updated tunes to load onto the autocal or v2.

I hope this helps some. If not, feel free to PM me any questions you might have and I'll gladly help!

·
Cummins Freak
3,252 Posts
Will they be able to turn off TPMS and change tire size via programming??

1 - 20 of 33 Posts