Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been doing some research here in the last few days trying to find some more information about EFI Live for our trucks. I read that newer trucks would be available in a matter of weeks and an 05 like mine probably about a year or less. Im not completely in the dark when it comes to EFI, I know several friends with some pretty mean Duramax's running this software because I am located within reasonable distance of Danville Performance.

I guess my biggest question is this going to be an ideal way to tune my truck vs using my smarty I use now. I realize it may never be available for my truck and thats fine but anyone please fill me in on some pros and cons of EFI LIVE. Any links with write ups or any information would be awesome. Im willing to read a book on this so nothing is to much. I like technical to.:thumbsup: Thanks

·
Registered
746 Posts
If you or your friends weren't comfortable with tuning, what you might be able to do is leave your smarty on, pull the tables from the ECU, and start from the smarty tune and just focus on smoothing them out, only changing a little at a time. After you pull the tables down the first time save your baseline then revise one table at a time saving it as a new file. As you go you'll get more comfortable and if you hose it up you'll always have your baseline to go back to if you never modify that file.

Or you could just go to a diesel tuner...

·
Registered
655 Posts
check out the EFI section in the vendor area. there is a few threads that will probably answer your questions, or any questions about it for that matter. from what i gather is that you should be able to ditch the smarty and run cleaner tunes specified for YOUR vehicle. not just the generic tune.

Reactions: jaker3456

·
Banned
92 Posts
people seem to be under the mistaken impression that you won't be able to get/purchase tunes from people who are good with tuning

what EFI Live does is allow multiple people to use the same interface to develop, hone, and fine tune better and better tunes vs. one person trying to write one tune that will cover every truck out there

you don't have to do the actual tuning yourself. you can just get with someone who has good tunes for your truck and use them the same way you currently use your Smarty tunes that were also written by someone else

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ill defiantly check out EFI section. Sounds like a really good deal to me. Danville Performance I'm almost certain puts the truck on a dyno to dial in the power your wanting. Basically like your saying, making a tune built for YOU. Only problem is they only deal with GM's right now so no Dodges allowed type of deal ATM. Guess ill be giving them a call when EFI is online.

Thanks for shedding some light.

·
Banned
781 Posts
it will and t wont replace box tuners... some people will still want edge's and smarty's because they are "Safe".... real power seekers and racers will got to this or standalone..

·
Registered
655 Posts
it will and t wont replace box tuners... some people will still want edge's and smarty's because they are "Safe".... real power seekers and racers will got to this or standalone..
i was under the impression that EFI is supposed to be safer than a box tuner? sets up all the parameters to run smoothly, whereas the box is more rough.. again i dont know much. just going off what i have seen in the EFI threads and going off that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats what i was kind of wondering too. I also wonder if MADS will come up with something similar??? BTW Ive been checking out the options for the Dmax's and I really like 5 position chip option. Idk if this will be for the Cummins or how that works with a tuner? but it would be nice.

·
AMM pioneer
455 Posts
i was under the impression that EFI is supposed to be safer than a box tuner? sets up all the parameters to run smoothly, whereas the box is more rough.. again i dont know much. just going off what i have seen in the EFI threads and going off that.
Yes EFI can be much safer than a boxed tune, but tuning with EFI is unlimited and with someone with no knowledge of tuning a diesel engine, can cause a great deal of damage.

A boxed tune, such as an Edge, has parameters that cannot be passed with their product. Smarty has a higher level of tuning capability than all the other boxed tuners, and can be considered safer or more dangerous depending on the parameters that are affected.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
After talking to a few people, EFI won't make much more power than (just an example) smarty; however, they are going to help them live longer and make smoother power. EFI isn't just for the big guys, it will just shine more there because it's more custom fit for the truck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right my impression is the more mods you have it will be easier to tune according to whats done to your truck. I think a big selling point will be getting rid of an overly touch pedal even with a high hp truck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.