Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, anybody trying this new stuff yet? It's some kind of liquid nanotechnology fuel enhancer that claims to increase fuel efficiency and increase engine power while lowering emissions, etc.

I never heard about it until one of my co-workers talked about it and actually brought some of it into work and he gave me a bottle of it to try. I would have liked to have tried it while i was on vacation during my 2800 mile trip, but it didn't arrive until i returned. No big deal. I put in some fuel the other day and thought, i'll start out with small amounts first before i go and put a tank full of fuel in with the amount required to do it's thing. Just in case something craps out, i don't lose a $150 tank of fuel...know what i mean? Anyway, long story short, they say that 8ml of this stuff for every 10 gallons of fuel and the product will perform as advertised. So, a true 20 gallons of fuel and 16ml later and so far...most importantly the truck is still running fine...i've noticed that the pump has quieted down a bit and it idles smoother and seems to accelerate a bit smoother. I'm skeptical as to the mileage bit, but i'll let everyone know after the next couple of tanks worth.

During my vacation (previous to the eefuel usage), I fueled up 6 times to a full tank and while pulling my pop up tent trailer (about 1000-1200 lbs) i read the overhead to show anywhere between 18-19 mpg (which is probably closer to about 16 or 17mpg) but wasn't bad for the length of trip and the conditions (wind in Kansas, topper, bed full of gear, pulling the tent camper and running 285's with the muffler m.i.a. and everything else stock...oh and oil on its 7500'th mile along with the fuel filter, but a new air filter installed before leaving home). I was putting about 550-600 miles on every tank and that ran it down to the 1/8 tank mark before pulling over for a stretch and another $150 poured into the tank. One thing i did notice and can vouch for is that the fuel at the cheap stations like Walmart, Safeway, Kroger, etc...ran the same amount of mileage as the big truck stop fuel...no noticable difference in mileage or power and 95% of my trip was spent around 68-73mph with the cruise control and A/C on, especially in the southern states.

My next note will be a little more biased as i dumped everything out of my truck, unhitched the camper and am now running back and forth to work which is a 100 miles round trip with a combination of city and highway driving. Before the vacation, the work route would give me 21-22 on the overhead, which always yielded 19-20 on the hand calc...so i pretty much know what to expect as i've driven the same route for the last 7 years and have recorded the average mileage in this truck for the last year and 9 months. With that expectation of 19-20mpg, I am testing the product until i run out and I'll keep everyone posted as to what the findings are.

The only comments i will make on the eefuel product as of right now is that it is almost like a thick vegi oil consistency, almost clear in color...it has a yellow tint to it like vegi oil, and it comes in one of those bottles with the measurements on the side so you can squeeze the right amount you want to use when you dump it...very convenient after dealing with stanadyne's half gallon bottles and pints. As i stated before, the pump seems to be quieter, idle seems to be smoother as well as the acceleration and as for the overhead reading...driving normally it showed me 22.8 this morning (103 miles on the tank of 20 gallons) before i ran my own test and ran to work at 80-83mph most of the way before heading back into city traffic and pushed several WOT's along with heavy accelerations and making record time to work since I sold my Mustang GT. :rof By the time I got to work, the overhead was reading 21.5. On the way home tonight after work, I went back to normal driving again and when i pulled in the driveway (208 miles), the overhead was back up to 22.1. Not much of a test right know, but I guess part of me wanted to see if it would recover from the grand prix i pulled on it this morning. I still have 1/4 tank from the original 5/8 tank I filled on Tuesday evening on the way home after i received the product. I'm heading to pop's place (about 67 miles) this weekend for his day and then back home, so we'll see if the tank takes me there and back (overhead claims i have 220 miles left to the tank...it might be close so long as i behave).

If anybody else has tried this and is in the discovery mode like i am, i'd sure like to hear what you're experiencing. Til then....

Joe

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I have not heard of it this product before so do post more info it you have it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a picture of the product for starters:

The official launch for the distribution of this product starts June 21st.

Here's the website to the corporation responsible for this product - H2OIL Corporation

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guess it depends on how much it is worth to you...

Fuel has quadrupled over the last 2 years....someone's still buying it. Now, my point is, if you knew you had to pay $5/gallon for diesel and it grossed you (lets just guess) 500 miles to that tank without the product. Then you find that with the product, it grosses you 650 miles for that very same tank full, the only difference is that you poured in extra $5 worth of additive. What is the cost of that product worth to you? an extra $5...maybe $10 a month? Only you can answer that. If you drive to school and back home and thats it...you probably don't care...let it rust in the driveway, not a big deal. But, if you drive 2500 miles a week towing cars or boats or whatever people tow to make a living...maybe it's worth an extra $5 or $10 over the price of fuel to squeeze that extra mileage out of every drop.

Don't get me wrong, I dont sell or distribute this product. I'm not here promote it or demote it...I just thought that someone would be curious about it and since I happen to get my hands on a bottle before it hit the market, figured someone might want to know my experience with it.

Peace :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Yeah, I totally agree. I'm usually cautious about products with a pretty package and website. But hey, if it works, by all means I'll use it.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
definately interested in the results, although an extra 150 miles/tank seems outlandish to me

·
Registered
168 Posts
You have my curiosity

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
definately interested in the results, although an extra 150 miles/tank seems outlandish to me
:rof

I guess I wasn't clear when I mentioned, (lets just guess). Sorry if you thought i was being literal with all those numbers, including the price of the product.

My next thought was about what kind of effects it would have for the folks driving the 6.7's. If what they say on their website is true and it does have "Dramatic reduction in emissions", then would it be fair to assume or ***guess*** :T: that the regen process would be less frequent? I might have to talk to my buddy in Boulder and see if he want's to give this stuff a whirl. His 6.7 has been acting like a real p.o.s. anyway and it has been through the shop a ridicules amount of times, so I doubt if he would care about trying it. So I might be able to get some data on that as well.

To be continued...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok, on the way home tonight, had to add to the tank...found myself unwilling to draw the needle any further past the E then necessary and to the pin is not an option.

So, assuming there's what....1-2 gallons left at that point, I added another dose of the eefuel additive (about 17 or 18 ml's) to exactly 20 gallons of diesel, under the assumption now that i have about 21 or 22 gallons of fuel. Keep that in mind as i draw this tank back to the E again.

At this stop, i had put 335 miles on the original (what i thought was) 20 gallons in the tank. So either the fuel pump lied to me or that WOT/80 mph trip took it's toll and is showing it's evil side back at the pump again or the fuel quality was less then expected (first time using "Boulder Gas" diesel). That tank was 16.75 mpg even though the overhead read over 21mpg. Although, it was Sunday evening and all the minivans and young honda owners were on the road and well...you get the picture.

Next update will be the end of the week after I run to work and back (100 miles round trip). This time i'll play nicely and keep the rpm's under 2k and speed below 70 mph (normal driving) :thud:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Update: Got back down to the E line again (does this cause issues with the fuel pump cooling like the old gas vehicles used to show?? anyone??) and got 380 miles out of this tank this time. Not sure if this is a reflection of not running the p!zz out of it this go around or if thats truely a sign of better mileage. Well, i put another 20 gallons in the tank along with another 16 - 17ml of this eefuel stuff and away we go again. I made a round trip from Greeley to Colorado Springs (airport) this weekend - 246 miles on the od (reset at time of fuel up) and just over a quarter tank to go. I am still keeping the rpm's below 2k...i set the cruise, on my trip, at 74mph so that the rpm stayed just a hair under the 2k line. I'm still on the 10k oil and fuel filter and I've gotta run to the airport this week to pick up the m.i.l. and that will probably kill what's left in the tank. So figure Wed night, Thursday for the next update.

Here's what the fuel mileage came out to be this round...assuming somewhere between 21 and 22 gallons on that tank.

21 gallons -> 18.1
22 gallons -> 17.27

somewhere in there. Short of dropping the tank and draining and then refilling to precisely 20 gallons, that's the best estimate i can give for now.

Cheers :beer

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Are you filling the tank full each time and then doing the math to get your fuel mileage?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No. I cannot seem to get a full tank consistently every time i pump fuel, so I thought that if i run it down to the red line and then fuel back up with a consistent 20 gallons, my numbers might be a little closer then trying to fill to the neck each time. I've also noticed that if the truck is tilted towards the passenger rear tire during fueling, I get a lot more in there then if it's level....did that in Durango one time at a station where 4 of the street side pumps were at an extreme slant to the passenger side and I drove almost 700 miles out of that tank full with no change to previous fuel efficiency. Haven't seen that since...

It should be safe to assume 1-2 gallons left at the E red line, the numbers will never be 100% on anyway unless we do this test in a controlled lab environment, just because there are so many variables to the whole thing...speed, acceleration aggressiveness, terrain, air temperature, atmospheric pressure, tire pressure, passenger/cargo weight and so on. If you have some other ideas on how I could improve the accuracy of my testing, let me know. :thumbsup

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
You could do a tank vent mod so that you can fill it to the top every time so as to be 99% accurate in your fill ups.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: Hit the redline again this morning on the way to work and reset the trip at 405 miles. I put another 16-17 ml's of eefuel in and gave it another 20 gallons of fuel on the button. Continuing to keep things somewhat normal (no racing or wot starts), my mileage seems to be getting better, slowly. Not sure how much longer this is going to keep up, but after a few refills with the additive in it, I can tell a difference in my acceleration and the continued ease of the cruise control set at 75 (2k rpm) and the truck running up and down I-25 between Loveland and Longmont exits (rolling hills all the way there and back). If I get nothing else out of this additive, the extra ummp is great to have back again. It's like the truck just drove off the lot for the first time.

So roughly calculating the numbers with the same assumptions as before, here's what I came up with this time:

21 gallons -> 19.3 mpg
22 gallons -> 18.4 mpg

A couple of things changed at the end of this tank that might attribute to these numbers, 1 - being I did my 10k oil change, finally and 2 - I changed out the fuel filter. Air filter was changed before i left on vacation, so it has about 3k miles on it so far. So if these numbers stay the same or go up even further, then I would take that as a fresh oil change would make a slight difference over 10k oil. Who knows what the Amsoil variable would do in this case, but might be something to think about in the future, especially since I have the bypass kit sitting in a box in the garage ever since the recall came about 3 years ago. I just never put it back on the 04.5, but one item that I need to take care of soon is the axle fluid in the front and back pumpkins. I pulled the plug while I was under there doing the oil change and found a nasty silver colored buildup on the magnetic end of that plug. I stuck my finger down the hole to feel for some fluid and it was there, but not looking all that great, so that's the next thing on my list. I might wait until the numbers stop climbing up so that I don't start changing the variables during the middle of this "test" I'm performing.

To be continued...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You could do a tank vent mod so that you can fill it to the top every time so as to be 99% accurate in your fill ups.
Vent mod? Is that where some breather tubes are installed on the top of the tank? I think i read something about that once upon a time.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update:
330 miles on this 20 gallons....which included pulling my 86 pop up tent trailer on an 70 mile round trip adventure over the weekend and a couple of 75mph trips to the airport. Not going to really count this one since it's outside of the normal specs that i've been comparing everything to.

The next update is going to be outside of normal specs too, but i'll report it for the heck of it, someone might be interested in my towing numbers too. I'm not sure what that pop up trailer weighs, but i'd guess it's about 800-1000lbs or so. We're heading out camping again this weekend for the 3 day holiday, so we'll see how the numbers look after pulling that thing over Rocky Mtn National Park and back.

L8tr...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Check this one out....

Fuel Legacy short movie

They demo adding the product to gas and diesel and then adding the product...

The guy who does the demo is Richard Hicks, responsible for the formulation of the product.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
During my weekend camping trip to Granby for the 4th celebrations, I fueled up before going over the pass and finished off my 1st bottle of eefuel. I had about 10 gallons in the tank when i fueled up and I added another 20 gallons to it so I wouldn't have to pay the $5 a gallon that I suspected would be charged in the western slope mountain towns. The numbers on this trip are pretty much irrelevant as far as the testing goes, however, if anybody is curious, I ran the needle down to the red again today on my way to Berthoud and I reset the odometer at 525 miles.

I broke the seal on the 2nd bottle today and from what i've been told by the person i received them from is that typically results are seen after the 5th tank full. So we'll see what happens from here. The best part of this next series of tests is that I'm about to go on vacation again, driving another 2000 mile round trip. Since the idea of filling up the tank to the neck each time might be a better way to calculate the numbers more accurately, I am going to take that opportunity during this trip and I will come back and report that information in here once I return.

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts