Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have my EDGE on for two days. Twice it has kind of "seized" up and would not display/read anyting or allow me to change the power setting.

The only solution has to been to opent he hood and unplug the cord from the Edge unit and plug it back in. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone have any ideas?

Edge was great helping me yesterday they think could be a PDI fooler box issue? Anyone think that perhaps the PDI 5" TBE exhaust boxes are causing problems with the truck computer to the extent it is "screwing" up my EDGE as well?

Also:
For a program beginner what are some safe maximums on EGT, Boost etc that I should program my Edge with so i do not cause damage .... my truck has just 3500 miles on it. Please consider I still have stock air intake and EGR still on my truck but have chaged to 5" TBE exhaust and also have MP8.

I noticed it does cut out a bit when I have gotten on the skinny pedal with Edge on 5 and MP* on 75%...I am guessing either not enough air or fuel? Or an EDGE max setting was exceeded and the EDGE shut it down for me?

Thanks for your thoughts

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I have had it hooked up for two days.

Twice now I have had to unplug the cord tot he unit under the hood to get it to reset?

It seems to just lock up, it will not read anything, do anyting or allow me to change the power setting?

Any ideas?

Is it possible that the PDI 5" TBE exhaust boxes are causing problems witht he truck computer which is in turn effecting the EDGE?

Also for a program beginner what are some good guidelines for maximums on EGT, Boost etc that I should start with.

I have stock air intake and ERG still on my truck but have chaged to %" TBE exhaust and also have MP8.

Thanks
I would contact Edge on Monday and have them send you a new unit; they are very good about warranty replacements. It should not be locking up like that and your exhaust has nothing to do with it.

I have my EGT max set at 1500deg and the boost at 36lbs.

·
Registered
497 Posts
wow you run your at 1500?

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I noticed it does cut out a bit when I have gotten on the skinny pedal with Edge on 5 and MP* on 75%...I am guessing either not enough air or fuel? Or an EDGE max setting was exceeded and the EDGE shut it down for me?

Thanks for your thoughts

That is you draining the rail. You need a FASS or the like to keep up with the extra fueling.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks you are awesome!

I guess next phase is air intake and some EGR blocker plates. You sure appear to be the guy for that stuff...

I mostly looking for mileage from my modifications although I still like to leave unsuspecting hot rods, young kids and riceburners covered in soot whenever necessary.

Any suggestions and also do you sell or reccomend an sythethic oil I am thinking of making my first oil change a bit early. Never mind see you sell AMSOIL K2..gotta buddy sells that here.

BigDinWI

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
wow you run your at 1500?
No, I set it that high when I only had the Juice on the truck (DPF still in place). Too lazy to go in and change it as I never hit those temps anymore.:thumbsup

·
Registered
497 Posts
oh. i was thinking thats pretty damn hot.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I guess next phase is air intake and some EGR blocker plates. You sure appear to be the guy for that stuff...

I mostly looking for mileage from my modifications although I still like to leave unsuspecting hot rods, young kids and riceburners covered in soot whenever necessary.

Any suggestions and also do you sell or reccomend an sythethic oil I am thinking of changing making my first oil change a bit early.

BigDinWI
The EGR plates probably won't net you any mileage gains but it will drop your EGT's 200-250 deg.

Amsoil is a very popular synthetic oil.

·
Registered
497 Posts
so the egr wil drop it 200+ on top of the dpf drop too? what do your temps run k2

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
so the egr wil drop it 200+ on top of the dpf drop too? what do your temps run k2
Yes the minimum EGT drop that I have heard back about is 200. The most has been around 250.

I haven't been driving it hard lately with fuel prices being as high as they are but I rarely see above 1200 on a hard run.

·
Registered
497 Posts
ya i was just going over last months fuel bill 1550.00$$$

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Let's put it this way, I don't even worry about EGT's anymore:thumbsup

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
wow, thats a heck of a fuel bill. I never see EGTs over 1100 unless i am really on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My issue resolved:

It was intstall error. IN the Edge instructions it talks about Fuse 30 being 15 amp and third from the top.

My truck actually had a 10AMP fuse in Fuse 30 spot and a 15 amp in the 4th from the top slot. I inadvertenly put the power supply on the 15 amp fuse in the 4th spot not 3rd.

When I switched back around no problems since.

Perhaps in the 08''s one of the monkeys on the line has been getting these two fuses backwards from when Edge first did their instuctions?

BIGDINWI

Question:
My truck hits 900-1000 when at 60-70 but if I kick it down hard in Edge 3-6 will go as high as 1500-1600 EGT is this really really bad for it if in short bursts? If so what else can I di besides the 5"TBE I did to date?

I know EGR delte will help what else?
Cold air intake?

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts