Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, 3rd gen guys, I'm leaving for a 600 mile (1 way) trip on thursday. What setting do yall get the best mileage with? And what setting for the smoke setting? I'm just trying to see what everybody else runs so I can play with mine. Thanks!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Edge claims that their best milage is on #1 setting. But it seems that my EGT's were always lower cruising at higher levels, so I dont know if I believe it or not! Its just so hard to stay out of it!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
haven't had mine long enough to check mileage, but as far as smoke level 5 smokes pretty good.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I guy post on here a while back and said he got better freeway mileage with it on the "drive" setting over the "mileage" setting according to his test. I think the biggest problem is keeping you foot out of the petal on the high setting.

·
Registered
470 Posts
just got done with a trip fom utah to vegas and back. played with all the settings but 3/0 seemed to net me the best average. around 16.5-17, hand calc. not the best, but not too bad. oh, i had my wife and two kids and luggage, no trailer. hope this helps, mike

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
5/5 works best for me.... just set the cruise on 71 (1875 rpm) and im getting 20-21..... but same on 3/1, 3/0 3/5 and I never got better then 18.5 BUT if you got it on 5/5 just let the cruise do the work and keep your foot out of it and you'll get great mileage ( just my experience)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
hand... but my overhead has only been off by like no more then .3 at most .... its surprisingly been pretty accurate with hand calc.... just make sure you keep your foot outa it on 5 or you will see a significant DECREASE in MPG

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
fuel mileage will vary from one truck to another. some guys will see best mileage in power levels 2 or 3 others will see best in 4.
the best thing to do is try a tank of fuel in each power level and then see where you can go the furthest on. thats the best way to see what level will do the best for you.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, I know each truck is different. But I just wanted some others expeirience to see what you got. I normally drive the truck on 3/3 and seems to be better that way than on 1/1. Who knows. Guess I'll just pick one, set the cruise, and let'er go. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,532 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK. Thanks

NOW......Here's a twist to my question....When I come home, I'm going to be dragging a 28' tandem dual gooseneck (empty) that wieghs around 7000lbs.

What settings do you guys use when towing?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Mine is not a 3rd gen but I run mine on 3X1 when toweing... Allot of timing and easy on fuel...

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
#2 the towing setting. And keep an eye on your all your temps and set the safty featurs/back downs on the edge to keep you safe:thumbsup

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
5/5 works best for me.... just set the cruise on 71 (1875 rpm) and im getting 20-21..... but same on 3/1, 3/0 3/5 and I never got better then 18.5 BUT if you got it on 5/5 just let the cruise do the work and keep your foot out of it and you'll get great mileage ( just my experience)
Right on the money... I'm getting 21-23 MPG with my Edge Comp cranked up to the top (5x5)... Most timing and fuel... Just control the fuel with your foot... Keep you pyro under 600*F and boost under 5 PSI and 20+ MPG will always happen!

Take notice that slightly more than a 1/4 tank used and 272.0 miles on the trip...

Cmg = Todays MPG totals
Tmg = Total MPG for the tank

Catch me if you can...:rof

·
Registered
317 Posts
Right on the money... I'm getting 21-23 MPG with my Edge Comp cranked up to the top (5x5)... Most timing and fuel... Just control the fuel with your foot... Keep you pyro under 600*F and boost under 5 PSI and 20+ MPG will always happen!

Take notice that slightly more than a 1/4 tank used and 272.0 miles on the trip...

Cmg = Todays MPG totals
Tmg = Total MPG for the tank

Catch me if you can...:rof
The only time a 3rd gen runs under 600 on the pyro is when they are coasting.:CRY: But I agree less is more when shooting for MPG, or at least they say so. My avg mpg doesnt seem to vary much on how I drive, only on how long I let the truck warm up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts