Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I just installed the edge juice with attitude on my unit, I haven't even put it on three, two once, and I drive around on stock.... But every since I installed the edge my tranny doesn't shift right, it hesitates, and just last month I had the trans serviced and the transducer / gov. selenoid changed so I know its not either of those, should I look for upgrades for the tranny and if so what kind? But I sure thought the truck would handle it better than it did. Also I dont feel a power increase but I figured it was because the tranny issue. ( Does the edge even have anything to do with the tranny? )

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would atleast do a shift kit or valvebody, Billet 3 disc converter or single disc billet converter (depending on usage ) and a better flexplate.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont plan on using it a bunch, but i want the insurance anyway, what trans company would you use?

·
Hold my beer
1,051 Posts
I dont plan on using it a bunch, but i want the insurance anyway, what trans company would you use?
my tranny slips bad since i put the juice in, i feel a lot of power but not all the power that i know it had. once my loan gets approved im gettie a georend tranny. its running me about 5k with a billet flex plate shipped to my buddys shop.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have read a lot of good things about the goerend tranny however I dont know about transmissions and dont know what parts I need to order because 5k on a tranny :S: :spank: and the wife is gonna get me, but I think it minor with the tranny now I just need to know what I need to beef it up, last month I dropped 600 on the tranny with a service, band adjustment, gov. selenoid, and transducer

·
Hold my beer
1,051 Posts
I have read a lot of good things about the goerend tranny however I dont know about transmissions and dont know what parts I need to order because 5k on a tranny :S: :spank: and the wife is gonna get me, but I think it minor with the tranny now I just need to know what I need to beef it up, last month I dropped 600 on the tranny with a service, band adjustment, gov. selenoid, and transducer
i would say at the least you would need a t/c and a valve body. the only reason my wife is letting me get a tranny is cuz she took the rig for a drive couple weeks ago, and when you hit 2nd she slips bad. anyways, she asked why the truck would go faster and i told her i need a new tranny and it would be a waste of money to buy a factory one cuz i would have to do it all over again when that one fails on me.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what I was thinking, TC, VB, and a shift master should do the trick :stirpot: brew that up and that should support 500-600 horse power so if everything I have read is right then this would be a good deal for my trans upgrades, the only thing I want to do other than the tranny upgrade is fuel filtration and pump. Injectors will only be replaced upon if I tear em up..

·
Hold my beer
1,051 Posts
Thats what I was thinking, TC, VB, and a shift master should do the trick :stirpot: brew that up and that should support 500-600 horse power so if everything I have read is right then this would be a good deal for my trans upgrades, the only thing I want to do other than the tranny upgrade is fuel filtration and pump. Injectors will only be replaced upon if I tear em up..
i dont know to much about trannys, but i'm not sure if that would support 500-600 ponies. i would think something would start to give after awhile, but like i said i am no trans expert

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hey bud your just going to have to be careful with doing any boosted launches especially any in 4x4 because you will take a risk with your input shaft :spank: .. it would probally be a good idea to get yourself a flex plate as well ... there are alot of people on here with just a VB and TC with a shift kit and a flex plate ... just throwin it out there ... it will hold power but you just have to be careful with what your doing as well ... hope that helps a little :thumbsup:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, sounds good diesel bob, but boost launches really arent my thing, I dont run my truck hard unless I have to, I work two jobs and am the father of 4 so extra funds aren't in my vocabulary. I just want a strong sound truck that if I am pulling equipment I dont have to worry about tearing up my unit, as far as race options, my trucks stronger than yours, my dad can beat up your dad... thats not me, just lookin for a solid truck but need advice when it comes to tranny performance because :S: i will fail without it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
had edge juice on my last 5.9.
less than one year i toasted 3 transmissions!

if it wasn't for the extended warranty, i would have cried.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that sucks, I really want to avoid all of that. were all three trannies stockers?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Billet converter, 3 disc if you have larger tires and tow, If not a Billet single disc with built valve body and a few other parts like lever servos piston anchor etc. and a better flexplate, no need for a billet, There other options to save coin :thumbsup: P.M me if you have any questions I dont mind helping out...

Reactions: Tuck 5.9

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice, I do tow from time to time, and also will be purchasing a camper soon ( wanted a boat and was out voted by wife and kids...:kick: ) so and strong tranny is what im looking for but i dont need to pull a sled down a dirt track if you know what im sayin, I was thinking tripple disk TC, valve body, shift kit, and billet flexplate, and the only reason for thinking this... is because I dont know anything else ...lol but for a relatively low budget like mine I think this will work, ( low budget in the tranny world around 2500 or less )

·
Registered
231 Posts
that sucks, I really want to avoid all of that. were all three trannies stockers?
yep.

brother tried to spin all 4 wheels while pulling my boat out of the water.
he had the programmer turned all the way up.

got home and noticed tranny fluid had coated every part under the truck.

:banghead: brothers :doh:

·
Registered
71 Posts
An up graded valve body will have a shift kit already installed.... Or you buy a shift kit and install it yourself into your stock valve body for about 1/4 the coin. Billet flex plate....maybe. If you are installing a billet tc then stock flex plate should be good. (flex plate breaks when stock tc welded on tabs (where they bolt up) start to break and only a few are still holding tc to flexplate).

Reactions: Tuck 5.9

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay now im learning boys, I was wondering about that yesterday... with a good valve body I dont need to be looking for a shift kit...roger that, and with a tripple disck TC I can do away with the 4-500 dollar billet flex plate....roger that, like I said Im not going for huge H.P. just a reliable tranny, so a constant / positive pressure VB, ( or what ever its called ) and tripple disk tq, so roughly 1500-1600 smackaroos should leave me with a tranny that will handle the edge juice.....right?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have went through a couple of trannys in the last 2 years with two different trucks. My tranny in my 98 12 valve wast just plain wore out at 240K. I bought the truck with 235K on the ticker, I started modding it and at 240, she gave way. I went with a single disk torque converter, upgraded the valve body, and installed a TC (torque converter) lockup switch. With what I done to the engine it was probably only pushing 300 hp at the flywheel. I ended up selling that truck because I needed a crew cab.

Bought an 03 crew cab dually that I have now. it has the Edge box with upgraded injectors ( I was told they were 100 sticks, not exactly sure). Anyway, the owner told me he had never had his box above 1 when I bought it from him. It didn't take me long when the Devil on my left shoulder began saying "Crank it UP" :hehe:, so i did (no higher than 3), then one day coming home in a heavy snow storm, yep, it crapped out on me :shock:. I made it about 2K miles once I started playing around with it before the tranny went.

So, I installed the same setup I done in my 98. Ran the Edge box to 5 and toasted that tranny in one month. :shock::shock:

I now have a 3 disk, billet input, upgraded flexplate, flywheel, valvebody, and TC toggle. I haul heavy from time to time with my truck so I needed something that would be reliable and hold the loads and hold together when the Devil says "Crank it UP" again :hehe:

All of that being said, I can't tell you which manufacturer to use, I went with Dacco for the TC and Dunrite for the valvebody and had a highly reputable shop put it all together for me with a warranty.

the one thing that I would recommend is getting a TC toggle switch installed, I love mine when I am going down hill, it holds the load back so much better.

Sorry for the longwinded description. Just thought I would tell you my tranny woes to maybe help you make the best decision for yourself. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the info, how long as it all been together (miles)?
I have managed to put around 2,000 miles since the last rebuild but I haven't been easy on it. After a few days of driving with the single disk, my slip % on my edge would easily go past 15% on level 2, on level 5 I could see upward of 30% or more. Now, with the triple and level 5, I don't see the slip% move past 0%. I think she is holding together quite nicely :blues: I hope i just didn't jinx myself :hehe:

Many guys have said a single will work for you, I couldn't agree more. Save your money when you can, you can always upgrade like I did, if it doesn't work for ya :thumbsup: You may talk about that with your performance shop, my shop knew I was borderline, so when I went back in busted up, they upgraded me and I only had to pay the difference, and a little shop labor for the billet and flywheel install.

Glad I could lend some advice, lord knows I have taken enough from so many bright people on this forum. Feels good to give back a little. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts