Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have the edge insight as a guage option .Also looking at the pillar mount how is fit and color ?Any other input as to how well it works ?
I'm liking the look and location for my new 07 6.7. I just want some monitoring not a power adder .

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The Edge monitors are getting the readings from the ECM. Gauges get readings directly from the source. It is more accurate. I'd get gauges.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
I agree with DieselRookie, gauges are much more accurate than monitors in my opinion. Plus I think gauges just look better too!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I'd have the Insight (or something with similar functionality) if I had a truck. It monitors useful stuff that you'd never have gauges for.

But I think I'd have a gauge pyro and boost just for driving by.

I hate having a billion round gauges. They look stupid by the time you have the dash and pillar full of them. Not to mention that they're expensive too, if you buy all them from an actual performance gauge place.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Personally I like round 'analog' gauges for stuff that moves a lot (EGT, rail pressure, boost etc) and a monitor for the slow stuff (temperatures, DPF status, regen status etc)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
insight or gauges

My original post was does anybody have one ? Seems to be alot of speculation as to preference and not actual 1st hand experience with the insight monitor! While guages do a specific funtion so do monitors that gather info from the trks ecm . I will be using a probe for egt .I think utilizing the trks computer is not a bad thing. The insight does about 100 things and also can diagnos and clear codes. So I guess I'm still looking for someone who has one and what their opinon of it is ?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I have an Insight. Or I bought my dad an Insight for his truck, anyways.

Considering that install consists of plugging it directly into a single port under the dash... It works great for what it monitors.

It requires it's own thermocouple to monitor EGT's, just like any other pyrometer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of an insight mounted to the overhead console? or even a juice w/ attitude (same monitor)...

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I just got an insight from slagburn. I did a few runs with it installed. Got an egt probe and "USB CABLE" coming in from edge friday morning. From what i see it looks like a very nice peice of computer. Im gonna set parameters and have EGT probe installed this weekend and make a run monday. Tell you guys more thoughts. From what i see so far in my 5 minute run, i saw trans temp, boost hit up to 27 psi very short run. and some other features. does performance testing, and reads and erases codes. It did reset my codes from dpf/egr at startup, took about 15 seconds or so. Drove 15 with CEL OFF. omg, thats a first in 50k miles. lol and stayed off, but then came back on a couple startups later but iwasnt clearing though. It reads historical codes and current which is pretty neat also. Be back early next weeks with more thoughts. Im just gonna mount mine either on speedo glass or steering wheel enclosure where keys go. I can post pics if you want, its nothing special. Just quick and easy.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I live my Attitude monitor on my Edge Juice. It's very similar to the Insight. I like the digital gauges it provides. Personally, if analog gauges were that much better, why wouldn't a dealer hook up analog gauges to every vehicle to monitor things when it's in the shop? What does every code reader, starscan, OBD I and OBD II system etc., work off of? The ECM. Digital is faster to respond to change. You don't have to wait for a gauge needle to start to sweep. Why does everybody use a digital volt ohm meter for electrical work? As opposed to analog? Digitals are more accurate.

Just my .02. Not trying to start the digital vs. analog war.

·
Second Most Important Member
1,760 Posts
insight

for under 300 dollars you cant go wrong with the insight. it monitors way more than any set of gauges can. plus all the extra stuff it does. very clean install with the pillar mount. buy it and dont look back:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
any update on this? I'm about to purchase and just wondering if there was any news in the last month?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
if you plug in the edge insight, does it leave a "mark" on the computer that the dealer can see. I wouldn't want them to think I had a programmer on it or anything. Do I have anything to worry about?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts