Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen anything like what I am experiencing in my searches so I figured I would call upon the knowledge base of the forum and see if you guys could help me figure out what is going on here.

I've got an Edge Insight that I've had for a few weeks. It was purchased brand new. Almost immediately I noticed the Insight monitor would shut down while the truck was running. I haven't been able to determine any kind of pattern with regards to it shutting down. Sometimes it will shut down within a couple minutes of starting the truck, sometimes it will go for a couple of hours of running before shutting down. Sometimes when the truck is idling, sometimes when it is decelerating, sometimes just when the cruise control is set. I contacted Edge tech support and they sent me a brand new monitor and OBD-II cable. Immediately after installing the second unit, it is doing the same thing. Currently Edge is testing yet another brand new monitor on their 6.7L test truck over the weekend and, if it works on their truck, they will send it to me. Im not sure this is going to fix it, however.

Here's what I've determined thus far on my own troubleshooting:

*I initially thought it was getting too hot being in a dash pod exposed to the hot south Texas sun. i moved the monitor to my steering column. No change in symptoms.
*I have checked to make sure it is getting a restriction-free, solid connection at both the OBD-II port and the monitor itself.
*I have traced the wiring for the OBD-II port on the truck all the way up to where it disappears in the main harness. There are no loose connections, no frayed wires, no bound wires, everything looks perfect (as it should with a truck with 50K miles).
*I have tried using an OBD-II extension cable I have to run in between the Insight cable and the OBD-II port on the truck, thinking the Insight cable might not have been making a solid enough connection on the truck port. No change.
*I have tried uninstalling the Smarty, thinking perhaps the Smarty programming is messing with the signal to the Insight. No change.
*I have run an Edge Juice w/Attitude and a Bully Dog PMT in the past and have NEVER once had any kind of issue with either monitor.
*I have tried updating the Insight software through their Fusion program and am completely current on updates. No change.

Anybody have any ideas? Im running out of things I can think of that would be causing this problem. Any guidance, opinions, insight (no pun intended), or experience would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
304 Posts
I had same shutting off issue with my Edge Insight, I didnt have any clue, Then I Unpllugged and hooked to my computer, Installed software that came with the Edge, Then updated the Insight thru Edge website, Thats all, since then No issues, over 3 months gone, no shutting off issue, this might work for you too, just give it a try

2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've already plugged it into the computer and updated it (as I had also done with the first one I had) and it is still shutting off. Thanks for the post though, i appreciate your trying to help.

Any other ideas guys? I sure would like to have this guy running smooth before my 3000 mile towing trip I leave for on the 20th of this month.

· Registered
2,918 Posts
Bronc, mines is doing the same thing every once in awhile. I updated it on the PC and none of the stuff I put on it would save. I have also lost my turbo in temp and turbo out temp readings, one day the parameters quit working.

2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wildman-I really appreciate that. Thanks a ton for the offer. Before that I should probably wait for the 3rd unit to arrive from Edge, however. If it is shutting down on it's own as well, it almost HAS to be something with my truck. I mean, what are the chances of getting 3 bad units, all brand new, in a row?

cowpunch-have you called Edge tech support about it? If so, what have they told you?

Im thinking about pulling it off my truck and putting it on my father's '05 for a couple of days to see what happens with it on his truck. If it shuts down on his, then I can at least narrow it down to DEFINATELY being an Edge issue. If it isn't though, what could possibly be going on with my truck that would cause the Edge to lose the feed through the OBD-II port while the truck is in operation?

· Registered
959 Posts
I wonder if when you are plugging it in, the pins in the OBD port are pushing back causing an intermittant contact.:confused013:
It's worth checking. I have yet to experience any issues with mine, knock on wood.:lol4:

2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'll look into that a little deeper. I looked at both the Edge OBD-II connector and the truck's OBD-II port and both looked flawless but it's quite possible I missed a pushed in connector. Thanks for the idea!

EDIT: On a side note, the monitor didn't shut down at all this weekend (~300 miles driven). I changed the screen to my 2nd display which I have only showing 3 parameters (rail pressure, boost, and EGT). My 1st display is set to 4 parameters (IAT, engine load %, RPM, and EGT). I keep RPM on the screen because I keep my steering wheel fairly low and with my arm going to the steering wheel the tach is mostly blocked from my field of view. For those who understand electronics more than I, could it be possible that one of the parameters that is being displayed on the 1st display is faulty in the programming and is causing the issue?

· Registered
648 Posts
Mine did it when I first got it and then worked fine for a few months. Lately it's been hit and miss. It will shut off multiple times in a day and then not again for weeks. It was shutting off with the plug zip tied together, so no shaking out.

Mine always comes back on the first time I restart.

2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
An update is in order for anyone who might experience similar issues in the future. After receiving the 3rd replacement module and OBD-II cable from Edge, the unit is still shutting down while the truck is running. I've found that if I unplug the unit at the OBD-II port after I shut the truck off then plug it in before starting the next time, it will not shut itself down. I've driven 700 miles in a single stretch recently without shutting the truck off and the Insight performed flawlessly during that span because I unplugged it and plugged it back in before starting the truck. If I leave the unit plugged in, however, the very next time I start the truck it will shut itself down between 5-20 minutes after starting the truck.

So, after speaking with Edge Tech Support yet again yesterday, they are stumped and so am I. Therefore, I've been given no choice but to return the unit for a refund. I purchased it through Keven at K2 Diesel Performance and he has been spectacular with handling the return. Im disappointed that the unit needs to be returned because it was a VERY useful tool for me when it was working. However, Im too lazy to deal with unplugging it every time I shut the truck down then plugging it in and selecting through the options before starting every time.

Obviously this doesn't happen with every truck. Im attributing it to yet another 6.7L quirk. These trucks are so daggum chocked full of electronics that there is really no telling what is going on with each individual rig and it would be virtually impossible to track down why my particular truck doesn't like the Insight. I've had an Edge Juice w/Attitude and also a Bully Dog PMT in the past and never had an issue out of either of those.

So, I guess some more EV2 gauges are in order for me. I've already got the boost and pyro installed. I intend to move the current boost and pyro gauges along with transmission temperature and rear differential temperature gauges into the CW6.7 dash pod when it becomes available, and will put rail pressure, lift pump pressure, and oil pressure gauges in an overhead mount above my rearview mirror. With those 7 gauges, I should have MOST of everything I want to monitor.

Hope this helps anyone else that might have these issues in the future, if nothing else than to at least prepare them for what is likely to be in order; a return of the unit.

· Registered
198 Posts
I think it may just be some trucks that do this, I had a Scangage that shut down intermittently exactly like you are describing. I got so tired of it shutting down I pulled it off the truck.

· Registered
250 Posts
My buddy has an 06 with the edge and it also does the same thing so it is not a 6.7 thing..

· Second Most Important Member
2,027 Posts
mine did it the first day i had it. i unplugged it plugged it back in and havent had a problem since. sorry to hear your bad luck bronc...:confused013:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.