Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
installed the drag box. i bought the bd stealth plate. tried to use the torx plus 25 tamperproof bit they gave with it. didnt fit over the nipple on my pump bolts. so i tapped it on to insure a fit. went to break them loose and almost stripped it. so i stopped that.

went to tap the wire. gray wire to closest wire to the motor. i read the installation manual for edge J w/ A 5 times making sure it was the right one. after a full day of trial and error. i couldnt get a solid connection to the wire.

i wanted to buy a posi tap but didnt see them in walmart. im gonna look again. i used the quick splice connectors. 14-18 gauge wire connectors the blue ones. liquid tape around it. nothing.

grounded the black wire to my block. red wire to 12v.

anybody have ideas?:confused013:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
im not sure what the problem is. i tapped mine the same way you did. and i got 10psi more boost when i did it. maybe someone else will chime in

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn, im gettin frustrated with it. i had my truck apart 10 times already. idk why its not getting a connection

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
you made sure to pull back the stripping on the wire correct? and your sure that its the one closest to the block?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup. circumsized the wire. check the wires. even my buddy came over and looked. i was even on the phone with ryan as he checked his own truck and said it the top set of two wires. when it gets pulled back. if youre looking from the grill. its on the left.

·
Registered
963 Posts
What is the actual problem, id like to help.I just installed my EJWA saturday.Are you not getting full power,smoke,or is the truck not starting?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
truck starts and runs perfect. i guess its basically hooked up as only an edge ez right now. i can put it on 6x5 and it wont smoke at all with the pedal to the floor at 45 it wont drop a gear. it like locks the tc and waits till the turbo spools around 1800 and then takes off like a raped ape all the way to 95.

im assuming the wire tap is supposed to fuel it harder to spool it up instead of having lag for 6 seconds.

the wire is just not getting a good connection. i was contemplating on solidering the two

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when its on 1x5 it will puff some smoke and i can roll a little bit when i get the tc locked

·
Registered
963 Posts
Ok yeah sounds like a wire tap problem.It should smoke under heavy throttle.Was the pump wire on the edge harness good ,i mean was the tip that penetrates the vp44 wire sharp like a spike. maybe you should go back and try the stealth plate again,try cleaning the bolts with a wire brush or scrape them with a pick to get a good seat when you insert the torx bit. just a thought . or just sotter the wires together

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i bought it used so it was just stripped at the end

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
my buddy bought a used comp box just like you did for his 98 and has the exact same problem your havin...... so i'm really interested in the fix...

·
Registered
963 Posts
Sotter it, then seal it good . Im very happy with my edge,got it used from 01cummin on here.Smokes and plenty of power!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i think im gonna try my stealth plate again. the torx bit that came with it has rounded edges instead of points which is why it stripped it. ill look for a 5 point torx 25 and put the bit on a drill press and make the nipple hole myself. i hate cobb jobs haha.

fix the wire i attempted to tap and just do the plate.

ill keep ya updated :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
if you test the green wire comin from the box with the key on and ground it. if it lights the tap is good. to check it also you can use a test light betweeen the green wire and the wire yer using for a grnd. if the lite lites then yer good to go

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it had a little spark when i grounded the wire. ( too lazy to disconnect batteries) ill check now.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
them little sparks are bad things bro..they make electronics go bad instantly. if you grnd yer test lite thru yer grnd back to the engine thru the comp harness itll tell ya if the tap is good.
dont forgit to turn the key on..thatll throw ya...dont ask me how i know that...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok. so just put on end of the test light to the ground and one end to the wire i tapped with the key on and see if she lights. gotcha

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
yep...its that easy..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts