Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Edge Comp Hot Unlock

18769 18
Is It Worth It To Get The Comp Box Hot Unlocked
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Yes...and since it runs so much stronger it'll destroy your EGTS. :S: :hehe:

Quick fix would be to turn it down to 5X4 if EGTs are an issue.
Ditto on both!!

· Banned
1,018 Posts
you get upgraded injectors the hot unlock is pointless because of high egts so um not spending the 100bucks to get it

· Registered
2,136 Posts
only reason i got it was b.c edge had it on sell for $50 a few months back. On the dyno i lost 7HP when on level 6 vs level 5. Its good if you are going to drag race or sled pull it lets ya fuel to 3200 rather than 2700.

· Registered
125 Posts
You don't gain power it just doesn't defuel anymore at 2700rpms now you can go to 3200rpm+. But yes I would recommend it.:thumbsup:

· Registered
2,339 Posts
you get upgraded injectors the hot unlock is pointless because of high egts so um not spending the 100bucks to get it
I'm with dieselsoon on this one. If you're getting bigger injectors (150's) then you won't be able to use it without cooking your motor. Would 100's and getting hot unlock be a quicker setup than getting 150's and having to leave the juice on 4 when drag racing (to keep egts OK)? :doh:

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so if i have 100 horse injectors it would be worth the hundred bucks

· Registered
9,857 Posts
run twins or a large enough single and you wont have egt problems...

· Premium Member
1,009 Posts
You can see in my sig what I got and this past summer I also added a Snow Performance Stage 3 water/meth system. I went sled pulling with it on 5x5 and the water/meth kicking in low and hard and my egt's were at 1200 and the boost was 47psi. However, running empty with it on 5x5 and the w/m kicking in low I can still see high egt's. I need twins!!!

· Banned
1,018 Posts
You can see in my sig what I got and this past summer I also added a Snow Performance Stage 3 water/meth system. I went sled pulling with it on 5x5 and the water/meth kicking in low and hard and my egt's were at 1200 and the boost was 47psi. However, running empty with it on 5x5 and the w/m kicking in low I can still see high egt's. I need twins!!!

why didnt you just spend the money on twins instead of the snow performance stage 3 and not max out your stock turbo? Hot unlock is pretty much for stock injector people looking for fueling up to redline thats it.

· Premium Member
1,009 Posts
When I blew the head gaskert the first time, that's when I had the hot unlock done. That lasted about 7 weeks and then my 53 block cracked. I drove it for at least a month with a cracked block so I could gather up a new block, pistons, bearings, $$$$, etc. As we were build the new engine I was not too thrilled about putting my stock turbo back on because it had a little more slop to the shaft then what I wanted to see. The way my luck was running at the time, I could have put it on and a week later the turbo would come apart and I'd have a $10k paperweight. So, I bought a HTT turbo, in my sig, and a set of 150hp injectors. I wanted twins but did not have the money for them at the time. This turbo works pretty well as a single and even better as a twin set-up, so I've been told. To have someone build me the plumbing and get the mate charger for it is around $1800. I picked up the w/m kit for about 1/2 that. I'm still debating if I want to keep this charger and get the plumbing for twins or pull it and get a twin kit from someone like BD or Industrial Injection. What to do...?? It is always about $$$$. You can never make it fast enough or have enough of it!!!

· Registered
1,472 Posts
the extra rpms are nice for drag racing

· Registered
9,857 Posts
or stop light racing...

sucks that edges defuel at 2700. adrenaline takes you to red line without a "hot unlock" hit 3250 today no sweat

· Rescue Tower
11,008 Posts
I'll toss this out there because I don't see many comment on it. I like the hot unlock, however I've seen it many times interfere with a stack. For what ever reason the edge does not play well with other modules or programmers on the #6 setting. If you intend on stacking then you may want to keep your $100 or at least wait till it goes on sale. It's not a huge deal, but kind of sucks when you want to run #6 and it surges like a mofo...

· Registered
2,047 Posts
I'm happy with the upgrade. I have also heard about some people having issues when stacking the "hot" edge boxes but it hasn't given me any trouble.

· Registered
79 Posts
I had a edge comp stacked with a smarty on my truck but tryed to stack it on my buddy's 01 truck and he had the juice w/attitude with the level 6 and it didnt actually surge if would just like shut off all fuel at about 2k rpms not sure what the problem was.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.