Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am what you might call a creeper here, HAHA, anyway, I just bought a truck that needs an ECM. I have searched and searched, but not found exactly what I am looking for...so here goes

Truck: 2001 Dodge 2500 5.9HO Cummins 4X4 EXT. cab, short bed, ALL stock

First problem, ECM is JUNK, lost total control of itself, revs on its own, no charging of batterys, ETC. So can anybody point me in the direction to buy a new/rebuilt ECM, I am not afraid to pay for it but...

Second problem, I was told this is the third time the ECM has went out, any ideas what might keep knocking it out??

Third problem, I am 24, I drive my own semi, It has lots O power, we will just leave it at that...but I spend all week driving it sensible because it costs to much to fix it. So this pick-up is going to be my play toy, I have seen a thread on here of the order to do things such as programmers and stuff...can anyone link me to that thread if you know where its at??

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
ECM does not control charging. PCM on cowl does.
Uncontroled revs could be VP44. Check out BlueChipdiesel for good diagnostic steps. It will help learn a lot about the injection system. A lot of issues have to do with bad electrical connectios, quality (check separatelly) of batteries, and weak diodes (bench test) in alternator. Remove and clean connections for batteries, seal with spray protector. Read the T C Lockup issues thread at top of this forum.
Many ecm's are replaced and all needed is discharge overgharged internal capicators.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay...I forgot to mention the PCM threw a 1693, which I have read is just saying the other computer has codes, the ECM threw the p-0606 I think, I searched on here, and found that to be the death code...Whatever the deatch code number was, thats the one I had, another was a code relating to the ECM failure, And the other 2 had to do with the electric throttle...I am ALMOST certain I need an ECM, then we will go from there, I dont know if this helps you out at all...I should have mentioned this from the beginning!!:doh:

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Do not take fault codes as gospel. Reread post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts