Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Newbie here, I've been fighting a recurring P1693, P1694, P1698 code with the following symptoms: erratic tach (works, drops off to 0, comes back to life), occasional mis-firing and on several occasions engine stopped running. It would start right back up a minute later. Above referenced codes always accompany these anomalies. Following remedies were tried: 1) clean every ground on the truck, including the one under the starter 2) clean every connector on the ecm and pcm 3) wrapped entire wiring harness with foil tape to ward off electronic interference and then ground the harness 4) re-route the ground wire from the passenger side battery away from the alternator 5) add supplemental grounds to all additional grounds 6) removed the limited slip nut that holds down the harness in the power center and replace with an allen head capscrew that allows full tightening. NOTHING WORKED....
THE SOLUTION: I notice that if I were to clear the codes in the morning, the truck would run fine for about an hour, then start acting up. At that point, I removed the ECM and noticed it was quite warm (after all, it is bolted to the side of the engine block with only 1/4" air space). I put the ecm in the freezer for 20 minutes, put it back, and voila, truck runs fine! HEAT IS THE PROBLEM. Since I had relocated the Carter lift pump to the frame rail some years earlier, I had some space available to re-locate the ecm. I made a custom bracket that allowed me to mount the ecm away from the hot engine block. The problem is 90% solved, it still does occasionally throw the above referenced codes, but no more drivability issues. This ecm is the original, and after 10 years, Hawaiian heat, it is damaged. So, does anyone have an ecm for an 02 w/auto they'd be willing to sell to me? Also, what year ECM's are compatible with my 02?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi MJG,
No, the ECM goes directly in front of, and slightly above the starter. You use the bracket that formerly supported the Carter lift pump (which I had earlier relocated to the frame rail, much better location for that). I used two pieces of 1 1/2" angle iron to make a sort of "T", one side bolts in two holes to the lift pump bracket, the other side uses one hole to mount to the top of the ECM, it sort of hangs there at 90 degrees to its former location. Best part is, it's off the engine, much less vibration, and no heat, other that what it might generate itself.

·
Registered
298 Posts
That is cool. I have wondered about too much heat to the ECM from way back when.

Sometimes I think the Dodge engineers designed things to make you run to the dealers every so often, but, the real key to owning a Cummins is reliability.

Thanks ever so much for this infoermation, Mike.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi MJG,
No, the ECM goes directly in front of, and slightly above the starter. You use the bracket that formerly supported the Carter lift pump (which I had earlier relocated to the frame rail, much better location for that). I used two pieces of 1 1/2" angle iron to make a sort of "T", one side bolts in two holes to the lift pump bracket, the other side uses one hole to mount to the top of the ECM, it sort of hangs there at 90 degrees to its former location. Best part is, it's off the engine, much less vibration, and no heat, other that what it might generate itself.
Awesome hawiian hula dance modification! Can you post pictures of it?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still figuring out how the forum stuff works, re the pic requested by Ironforger, it's a bid hard to see and photo, but the details are as follows: ensure Carter lift pump has been moved to frame rail (a good mod in itself), just make an "L" bracket, drill two holes and attach to former lift pump bracket, and on the bottom of the "L", drill one hole mid way up the "L", you then attach the ECM to the bottom of the "L" bracket. If done correctly, it will be just above the starter, and not anywhere near the frame rail. It hangs by itself, immune from heat and vibration. Also, when these 1694 and 1698 codes started, I replaced the cam position sensor as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts