Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tired of my brakes squeaking and plan to change them out for EBC Green stuff or Red stuff brake pads. Online the fitment says from 2009-12. What's the part number for a 2016?

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you tow alot I would highly recommend the EBC yellow or the orange xtra duty pads . The green pads are good for no brake dust but the pads aren't the best choice for towing and have alot ot fade for heavy stops compared to the yellow stuff or the extra duty pads . When they are cold they can be scary.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Greenstuff 7000 series
Front: dp71847
Rear: dp71848
Low brake dust

EBC yellow truck sport pad
Front:41847r
Rear:41848r
These pads great for towing but alot ot brake dust.

EBC Extra duty pads
Front:ED91847
Rear:ED91848
the Extra duty is there premium pad and they are pricey....

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
sliver, not that I don't agree with the applications as you described, but have you had a bad experience with greenstuff pads?

Most of my driving is in or between the Rockies and Cascades and I've yet to even come close to heating up a greenstuff brake pad on my 07 while grossing close to 20k gcvw. That's with exh brake and very marginal surge brakes on the trailer being towed.
Unless towing very heavy and/or very steep, I don't see 4th gens which have bigger brakes and well integrated exh brakes having any issues with greenstuff pads.

My experience has been great with them. Long lasting, good stopping power, very low dust and well, no issues, even on a now 12 year old truck with 160k on original never turned rotors. And I don't drive like a grampa.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had the green pads on my 2014 they were good pads compared to stock . The problem I didn't like is the first few stops in cold weather the pads had a crazy amount of fade till they heated up. I had a rear axle seal leak on my 14'and had to change my rear pads since they were saturated with gear oil and I went with the orange EBC pads the extra duty and those things will almost put you through the front windshield night and day difference over the green pads.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Good to know ^.
Orange ones don't happen to be low dust do they?
Doesn't get real cold here, but I had the truck in AK with the EBC greens for a winter and did not notice that, neither did the wife and she drove it all the time. Although I can think of a few times when all brakes basically didn't work until you rode the pedal a little to warm up the rotors.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The green stuff 7000 pads made less dust than the orange stuff truck SUV pads but the orange pads are quiter and have no metal in them according to there web site . But I can honestly say even though they are more expensive in my opinion there is a noticeable difference in the stopping power with a heavy trailer that's my experience. They are both great pads you cant go wrong with either one but one is gonna perform better than the other hence the price difference . They claim the orange pads have longer rotor life and pad life since they contain no metal .
https://ebcbrakes.com/product/extra-duty-light-truck-jeep-and-suv-brake-pads/#site-canvas

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see a part number for 2016 Orange pads.

·
Registered
160 Posts
EBC Extra duty pads
Front:ED91847
Rear:ED91848
Copy and paste them search online I got mlne at auto parts warehouse.
Blackjacktj I'm gonna send you a PM

·
Registered
282 Posts
I just installed the orange pads - I had the green stuff pads previously.

Love the orange pads. These things are awesome.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'd say dump the colored brake pads and go with a solution designed to stop an HD. Powerstop pads and rotors are designed to work together. I have the Powerstops on my 1500 and putting them on the 3500 next month.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'd say dump the colored brake pads and go with a solution designed to stop an HD. Powerstop pads and rotors are designed to work together. I have the Powerstops on my 1500 and putting them on the 3500 next month.
I have run Powerstop as well and been very pleased with them. I will say my preferred set up now is Powerstop rotors with Hawk Pads. So far nothing I have experienced has been better than the Hawk pads. I will add that getting a quality set of SS brake lines also makes a very good improvement.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
With Hawk pads there is no reason to debate if they work or not like the EBC stuff. LOL.
EBC= Aim for the bushes.

Reactions: boshog

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have run Powerstop as well and been very pleased with them. I will say my preferred set up now is Powerstop rotors with Hawk Pads. So far nothing I have experienced has been better than the Hawk pads. I will add that getting a quality set of SS brake lines also makes a very good improvement.
Which Powerstop rotors are you using?

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
The orange pads are a little
Heavier duty then the green pads, however were talking which is the worst of a group of better then stock pads. If you want an improvement over stock any of the green or orange will be perfectly fine

·
Registered
487 Posts
Which Powerstop rotors are you using?
On my Car I run the full Z23 Kit (slotted and drilled). On my last truck I went with the Evolution (non drilled and slotted) rotors with Hawk HB633 (same LTS pads just thicker for HD applications) pads and Crown SS lines. Fair amount of dust, but best brakes I have ever had. On my current truck I am still on factory brakes, but will upgrade as soon as they start showing signs of lower performance.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
I assume running drilled and slotted rotors on a truck that seems lots of mud on farm trails and fields would be bad idea

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I put some ebc green pads in my 3rd gen. 20,000 miles and one of the pads delaminated from the backing plate. EBC didn’t want to hear about it. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I assume running drilled and slotted rotors on a truck that seems lots of mud on farm trails and fields would be bad idea
I've got them on my 2013 1500 (running them for two years), I live rural off of dirt roads. I'm either muddy or dusty. On top of that, they treat the dirt roads with calcium chloride to keep the dust down. In the winter it is salt. I have no issues with the drilled and slotted rotors (Powerstop) and am putting them on my 3500 next month.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
My buddy just installed Powerstops and supplied Hawk pads all around. He's very pleased. Bedding in the pads is very important.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts