Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

· Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my truck back from the shop with a new HG and studs. I'm keeping the go pedal off the floorboard until my EWG kit gets here. The other day I pulled a light load (maybe 6k) and on a steep downhill grade I got a reading of 25 lbs of boost with the EB on.

My question is this - what boost numbers do you guys typically see with the EB on and will the EWG open when using the EB with this much boost?

· Premium Member
1,887 Posts
I just got my truck back from the shop with a new HG and studs. I'm keeping the go pedal off the floorboard until my EWG kit gets here. The other day I pulled a light load (maybe 6k) and on a steep downhill grade I got a reading of 25 lbs of boost with the EB on.

My question is this - what boost numbers do you guys typically see with the EB on and will the EWG open when using the EB with this much boost?
I have not pulled a load yet. I do see up to 10 psi of boost with the EB on. So I guess driving it at higher rpms with a load pushing the truck you could see that.

· Premium Member
3,822 Posts
that will come down soley to spring pressure in the EWG i started out with a 10 lb spring in mine and during normal driving and EB usage it would not open while EBraking but if I down shifted to make the brake kick in harder I could force it open but since I put the 23lb spring setup in it I have not been able to make the EB open the WGate valve. Now I have not towed with it yet but down shiffted pretty aggressive with the EB on to see if I could make it open the WG and have not

· Premium Member
1,887 Posts
that will come down soley to spring pressure in the EWG i started out with a 10 lb spring in mine and during normal driving and EB usage it would not open while EBraking but if I down shifted to make the brake kick in harder I could force it open but since I put the 23lb spring setup in it I have not been able to make the EB open the WGate valve. Now I have not towed with it yet but down shiffted pretty aggressive with the EB on to see if I could make it open the WG and have not
Mine is opening enough to regulate the pressure to between 58 and 62 with my WG. So I am going to take my regulated pressure from DP rather than boost. It will do two things for me. First it will not allow me to get much boost when the water in the DP tube is frozen. So until it warms up, my boost will be relieved at about 24 PSI. Once it warms up my EB will be able to produce more backpressure while my Boost will still be controlled to whatever I have my regulator set at.

· Premium Member
3,822 Posts
you know what that is one hell of a good idea very well tought out. Took me about 5 min to think through it but I am very curious to see how this works out with the EB. this is one thing I have been playing with I hate running the HEavy springs becasue it makes for a more abrupt opening and harder to dial a 1:1 but if you regulate DP then whent he EB is on it is applying its own force to the top side to keep the spring closed plus the spring pressure and. you can control DP totally without even effeting boost at all if you wanted to. Awesome thought man double :thumbsup:

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Mine is opening enough to regulate the pressure to between 58 and 62 with my WG. So I am going to take my regulated pressure from DP rather than boost. It will do two things for me. First it will not allow me to get much boost when the water in the DP tube is frozen. So until it warms up, my boost will be relieved at about 24 PSI. Once it warms up my EB will be able to produce more backpressure while my Boost will still be controlled to whatever I have my regulator set at.
How are you going to deal with the soot applied to the regulator and WG valve?

If you filter just before the regulator, there will be a differential pressure generated across the filter which will ultimately increase drive pressure.

· Premium Member
3,822 Posts
if you are using regulated pressure to the top of the EWG coming from the filtered DP then the pressure difference casued by the filter would not matter it would just need adjusted with the regulator to compensate. But good point the soot will have to be addressed or over time it will fill the EWG hat up. that would be funny as heck would suck but pretty funny pull the top hat off and have a lid full of junk

· Registered
1,298 Posts
if you are using regulated pressure to the top of the EWG coming from the filtered DP then the pressure difference casued by the filter would not matter it would just need adjusted with the regulator to compensate. But good point the soot will have to be addressed or over time it will fill the EWG hat up. that would be funny as heck would suck but pretty funny pull the top hat off and have a lid full of junk
Drive Pressure = Filters differential pressure + regulated pressure + WG opening pressure

So as the filter becomes clogged, the differential pressure will increase, the regulated pressure will hopefully stay constant, the WG opening pressure will hopefully stay constant, which means the drive pressure has increased which is what we are trying to avoid...

· Premium Member
3,822 Posts
ok what I am thinking is just supply a filtered line similar to the boost line to the WG. It may turn out to be a PITA to keep cleaned out but I think mega is the one that run a t fitting for his DP gauge and had no soot issues there. So that may be what he is thinking. But a single filtered line would keep soot out of the WG and not effect the release of DP gasses

· Registered
1,298 Posts
ok what I am thinking is just supply a filtered line similar to the boost line to the WG. It may turn out to be a PITA to keep cleaned out but I think mega is the one that run a t fitting for his DP gauge and had no soot issues there. So that may be what he is thinking. But a single filtered line would keep soot out of the WG and not effect the release of DP gasses
It may work and be a non-issue. I am just throwing out some things to think about.

:thumbsup:

· Premium Member
3,822 Posts
It may work and be a non-issue. I am just throwing out some things to think about.

:thumbsup:
absolutely man that is what this forum is supposed to be about and the exact way the EWG came about to begin with, guys on here thinking things through and finding solutions. I like it:thumbsup:

· Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So how high of a spring can I run without defeating the purpose of the WG?

If anyone trys taking the regulated pressure from the DP, let me know how it works.

I gotta figure something out. The boost doesn't get past about 10 psi when it's empty but I have no idea what it will get to with a heavy load. I don't really want to find out either until I get the WG hooked up.

· Premium Member
3,822 Posts
the main purpose we are using the Wg are not exactly your typical usage for them. We are using them to dump DP where they are normally used to limit Boost pressure to keep a turbo in its MAO settings.

Currently I have tested and run 3 different ways

1 just spring pressure 10 lb (lets the EB open under heavy breaking with it) 23lbs Not been able to make the WG open yet)

2 regulated boost added to a 23 lb spring will allow you to fine tune where you want the DP to dump off at 30lbs to up to your max boost plus spring settings) recommended 35ish

3 regulated boost added to the springs and then constant boost plumbed into the bottom port of your EWG this allows you to fine tune the point where you want DP to dump (like 2) but it also lets you set a limit for the max boost you want to see.

the way we were just discussing here is using DP to keep the ewg closed obviously our trucks with the EB create a different factor in here we have to try and keep the valve closed with no boost help and rely on spring pressures only when the EB is on. But if we use a filtered line from Dp pressure and regulate it like we would boost pressure then when the EB comes on it creates DP that would help the spring stay closed and when boos tlevels are climbing we know that DP are climbing as well so regulated DP applied to the EWG correctly we could control the EWG with spring and DP alone so it is a 4th way that I thik is worth some testing

NUmber 2 would probably be a good starting point for you and probably work fine for the duration

I am currently running setup 2 and it is the simplest to instal understand and still be able to fine tune it. If my truck wants to make 40 lbs of boost ok fine let it. with the stocker I am not worried about it hurting my truck. when I put twins on it yes I will add the constant boost into the WG and dump it at the optimum setting for truck performance.

I hope this helps answer your questions bud if not post them up or shoot me a pm and ill try and explain more. I am no expert by any means but have played and done a couple months worth of testing with these things.

Reactions: SGCCummins

· Premium Member
1,887 Posts
As far as soot goes, I run pretty much smoke free. I can certainly try it and see what happens with the regulated output. If I start seeing some soot buildup, I will figure out a cleanable filter.

· Registered
132 Posts
Just purchased mine off rsd, we will see how fun its goin to be dialing it in haha. I only have my edge insight so hopefully it won't take too many wot runs.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.