Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delivery of a 2019 4x4 ram crew cab limited got 20k off of sticker but the truck didnt have Anti spin axle . Truck has 5th wheel prep and camera for trailer , but a open diff . I'm gonna order the tru trac and a set of bearings and races for the carrier any advice would be welcomed .

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
I thought they all came with an LSD, but maybe that changed for '19? I'd pull the cover and check.

Either way, the True Trac is a great diff, I think.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I put a tru trac in my 06 years ago and was one of the best upgrades I’ve made. This was coming from an open diff too.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If I had an open diff and had the choice between the tru trac and a locking diff, I would opt for the locking diff in a heartbeat. The tru track sucks in really slick conditions (like ice).

I plow snow with my trucks and if I get one rear tire on ice and the other on pavement, my Ram goes nowhere (unless I ride the brakes a bit). When I had a Duramax, the g80 locking diff in that truck would lock the rear wheels and I could go. I could plow WAY more snow in 2wd with the chevy than I can in my Ram.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of the tru trac but in real life it doesn't work as well as a locking diff. JMHO

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just took delivery of a 2019 4x4 ram crew cab limited got 20k off of sticker but the truck didnt have Anti spin axle . Truck has 5th wheel prep and camera for trailer , but a open diff . I'm gonna order the tru trac and a set of bearings and races for the carrier any advice would be welcomed .
You better pull the cover off and see for yourself before you start blowing money on parts you don't need. I'm not sure any Dodge-spec'd AAM axles came without that torsen-style LSD.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
If I had an open diff and had the choice between the tru trac and a locking diff, I would opt for the locking diff in a heartbeat. The tru track sucks in really slick conditions (like ice).
Meanwhile, I'd pick the exact opposite for snow and ice driving.
A locking diff can really make driving on slippery surfaces interesting. But then, a G80 isn't a real locking diff, like a Detroit.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Did you do the install ?
I did not. I had a local shop do the setup and install.
Differentials and transmissions I don’t do. Anything else I’m game for.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Meanwhile, I'd pick the exact opposite for snow and ice driving.
A locking diff can really make driving on slippery surfaces interesting. But then, a G80 isn't a real locking diff, like a Detroit.
Snow and ice is where I spend most off my time in my truck driving over Mt hood. I think the tru trac performs great! Just remember these truck are very heavy up front and in snow or ice you better be in 4wd. Open diff or not

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Unless they've changed the diff, but not the option designation (G80), it should be a clutch type limited slip with a speed sensitive mechanism for adding pressure to the clutch plates.
Lockers don't have clutches, cones, or rely on friction. They literally lock, mechanically.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
I thought they all came with an LSD, but maybe that changed for '19? I'd pull the cover and check.

Either way, the True Trac is a great diff, I think.
I believe the LSD is standard only on the 3500, unless something has changed in the last year or two. Is was standard on my 17.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

·
Registered
111 Posts
You better pull the cover off and see for yourself before you start blowing money on parts you don't need. I'm not sure any Dodge-spec'd AAM axles came without that torsen-style LSD.
Pretty sure none of them have the torsen anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts