Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the RAMs are susceptible to the ODB2 port key identity theft and key reimprint that some thieves are using to steal cars with this tech?

Does anyone do anything to protect their ODB2 from this?

There are some locks that a german company made: Securing your car with the “OBD Saver” ? Lock Technology News

Seems like if you weren't allow to reimprint so easily from the ODB2 port this would help...

·
Registered
211 Posts
I wonder how much they cost? I could see guys who have tuned trucks using this setup for trips to the stealership. It would keep them from reflashing or updating your ECM when you told them don't do it! And they do it anyways. :doh:

·
Registered
209 Posts
No matter what you do to any of your vehicles, it will always be as simple as winching it up onto a flatbed and driving away with it. They will deal with your anti-theft device Once inside the comfort of their garage or shop.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
There was a thread about this not long ago, although I didn't read much into it as I don't have the keyless system.

IIRC the OP said the truck was vulnerable to it, but I can't be sure. It is here somewhere though.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Is it possible that Ram tested the system against theft before they put it in their upper line trucks? Vipers and Hellcats probably have the same system.

·
Registered
616 Posts
They are no easier or harder to steal than the keyed trucks. The keyed trucks have all electronic keys that are identical except for their electronics.

Anybody who really wants to can simply take an electronic key from any Chrysler product and program it to your truck and put it in and start it, just as easy as keyless enter n go.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
In the past with Chrysler's Sentry key, you needed a cut key that would allow you to turn the ignition on in order to program it. This would require a previous key to be copied or a call to the dealership to get one made.

Now, with these keyless FOBs that still require you to place something in the key hole, you only need a FOB that will fit. I haven't dealt with the push button ignition switches, but if you can get everything to turn on without having a programmed FOB around, then a new one can be programmed.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I haven't looked into it, but I have gotten the impression that Chrysler uses a WIFI system to connect into the vehicle. This would allow a high tech thief to do the same thing, without touching it. Heck Uconnect can unlock the doors, and start the vehicle remotely. Your vehicle is no safer than your computer.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Lets not make this into something it's not. I really think the "hackers" and thieves will go after the luxury and sports cars with this system before they go after our trucks. When that starts happening all over, then we need to think about it. Untill then, be smart and enjoy it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im not to impressed with the system, that once the truck is running and the key isn't in it, it can be driven away but not sure how far or what happens to it after that.
Really? Has anyone tested to see what happens? Seems like it should shutoff.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Really? Has anyone tested to see what happens? Seems like it should shutoff.

It does. Happened in my wife's 2011 Durango citadel several times. Car does about 25 feet and stalls if the key isn't in it. Also beeps incessantly until the key is returned inside.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Lets not make this into something it's not. I really think the "hackers" and thieves will go after the luxury and sports cars with this system before they go after our trucks. When that starts happening all over, then we need to think about it. Untill then, be smart and enjoy it.
Don't forget, there have been a lot of second gens stolen over the years. Heck, two years ago several local guys had old school 7.3 ferds stolen. Anything is a commodity in the "right" hands, and the truck/ diesel scene is ever -growing. I'm pretty sure expensive parts from expensive late model vehicles are worth quite a bit.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wouldn' t worry about the high tech theif, as stated before all it needs is a tow truck. Then it can be parted out or reprogrammed. I highly doubt the joy rider will carry the high tech way. The only issue I see with the keyless go is that it will alow the truck to be put in gear without the fob in the vehicle. I unloaded my bike from the bed with the fob in my pocket and my wife was able to meet me at home driving my truck while I was on the bike.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.