Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm brand new to the diesel world, just bought my first one and of course a cummins. Amazing site by the way! A lot of great advise. I was just wondering if I could get some help figuring out what I have. on door it says manufacture date 2/04. Do i have the early 04 or the 04.5?
Thanks in advance! J.P

·
Registered
379 Posts
on the driver side of your valve cover...if the HP rating is not 325HP, it's an early 04 :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh ok. Yeah I looked there the other day and it says advertised HP 325. so means i got the 04.5? I appreciate it!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. so sig should be 04.5 like yours?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
there ya go, perfect advice, by this time in a trucks life it is one of the few reliable ways to tell..... so many trucks have other items like kitty's that run away..... sticker on the valve cover is the way to go. other way to tell unfortunately is lousy fuel mileage :(

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate it alot y'all.
I was also wondering what would be the frst steps for some performance mods to do to my truck. but i cant go crazy due to not enough money for a new tranny yet. any suggestions would help.

·
Registered
379 Posts
That all depends if he has an auto or not :) I get 18-20 (hand calc) in town with my 6 speed...and I'm not a grandpa driver.

there ya go, perfect advice, by this time in a trucks life it is one of the few reliable ways to tell..... so many trucks have other items like kitty's that run away..... sticker on the valve cover is the way to go. other way to tell unfortunately is lousy fuel mileage :(

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got an auto. but dont know too much about it all

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,296 Posts
I appreciate it alot y'all.
I was also wondering what would be the frst steps for some performance mods to do to my truck. but i cant go crazy due to not enough money for a new tranny yet. any suggestions would help.
get a smarty jr and a set of gauges. get a good
aftermarket drop in filter. you already have a
straight pipe, so cant do any better than that.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Fyi

You can also look at the manufacture date on the door jam sticker to distinguish between the models.

If the build date of your 04 is anytime in 03 then it is an 04.

If the build date of your 04 is anytime in 04 then it is an 04.5.

I have an 04.5 built extremely late in the model run having been built in 07 / 04. I also have an early 05 built 09 / 04.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
should i look for a whole intake system? or just filter
which gauges do you think look the best but also perform the best?

·
Registered
379 Posts

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,296 Posts
i run isspro gauges, they match the interior of our
truck perfectly. no reason to do anything other
than a good drop in filter, such as an amsoil unit,
unless of course you just wanna, then do what
andrew said. you could also get a ddp cool hose
(look it up) and add an amsoil EAAU4091 filter to
that.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I built my own based on these 2 threads and have been happy with it.

Homemade 6" Air intake, AKA the "whistler", tech write-up - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-performance-parts-discussion/16437-intake-4.html

If you're going to be in a lot of sand, dust, or salt...get a contained system though

I drive in northern VA. winter has a ton of salt on roads! and in summer i work on a farm and the ground is dusty as hell... what other ideas could you suggest?

·
Registered
379 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can also tell 2004.5 by the location of the coolant res. If it's in the pass corner next to the firewall it's an 04.5, next to the radiator 03-04.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can also tell 2004.5 by the location of the coolant res. If it's in the pass corner next to the firewall it's an 04.5, next to the radiator 03-04.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts