Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still working on getting a trailer. I'm planning on getting a 24' enclosed bumper pull, 10,000 GVW w/torsion axles. I am planning on installing E-track in the floor to secure my vehicle with straps over the wheels. Every where I have checked has E-track made of 12 gauge steel with screw holes about every three inches to mount the E-track. Most places are selling this as a product to secure cars, but is the 12 gauge steel hefty enough? Nobody has been able to give me some kind of working load limit for E-track. Also, any thoughts on attaching this to the 3/4" plywood floor using wood screws versus welding or bolting to the steel cross-members of the trailer frame? As I mentioned the E-track would be mounted using wood screws spaced about three inches apart the entire length of the track. Is this the "rookie" way of attaching it or is it really designed to mount to plywood and be able to secure a vehicle in transport? Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
568 Posts
I just installed E track in my enclosed bike trailer. I would not use screws. I used 1/4 in bolts with flat and lock washers. May be overkill but i dont want to open the trailer to a pile of bikes. I put a bolt every 4th hole so i skipped two unless it hit on a crossrail then i put one in it too. I layed it out drilled the holes and got a buddy to hole the bolts while i installed the washers and nuts and tightened them up. The bikes weigh 500-800lbs and i compress the suspension when towing and try to use a spot where it has a bolt.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have it in my enclosed and i haul atv's and bikes and have never even seen them give at all and mine are screwed into the floor, although i did use every hole! We use them at work to tie down everything we haul and i work for a trucking company, and we tie down things that weigh as much as a car easy. As far as your over the tires deal, i would also tie it around the axles through the d-rings and it isnt going anywhere!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here is the ticket on this!!! You can use wood screws on most holes and then get a self tapping metal to wood screw and put them at each frame crossing! I have this in my 48 foot 2 car enclosed trailer and it holds the cars fine... Just make sure to use self tapping on the frame crossing!

If you cant see the frame joints then I would do the bolt with washer and nut!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts