Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been very happy with how my rig's been running. Aside from occassional 2080 and 2084 DTCs, my rig has run/towed well and been mostly code free. My EGTS are low, truck has a powerful feel, and good mileage 18mixed 21 hwy (hand calc'd).

So with all the talk of dying trannies, I decided that I'd better get on a dyno so I know how much pedal I can apply and when. The short of it is, my tranny has nothing to worry about.

This morning I ran my 08 2500 Ram [Auto/4x4, AP Flash, H&S XRT120 with stage I exhaust (with stock dpipe and muffler), S&B CAI, Edge insight]
on a mustang dyno. The dyno op had a hard time getting the eye to read RPMs so we just went power/mph. Only made a couple pulls (made in 4th) but the HP seemed awfully low? 327.5hp @65mph and 896.6 ft/lbs @52mph.

So I went back to work a little dissapointed but hey 896 torque sounded pretty good. I emailed H&S about getting my XRT updated to deal with the 2080 and 2084 codes that I've had come up from time to time. I mentioned the dyno runs to Casey and he replied quickly in H&S fashion:

That power seems very low, you should be 400+ on the 120 setting. Do the update, then re-load the 120HP. When finished, go to "other options" then choose "clear counter". Anything stored from before the tuner was installed will be cleared out.Some guys have had some codes stored in the memory that was causing low power, but after clearing them out with this function the power was restored. Let me know if this works for you.
Somehow I got done at work early. I headed home, updated my xrt and reloaded the 120 tune. With the trouble getting RPMs at the first dyno, I called another shop in town and they had time open. Woohoo! The day was going perfect, I just knew the update would get my rig back to where it was supposed to be. Loaded up on the second dyno (this one a superflow chasis dyno) and the good feelings died. My HP stayed about the same (runs varied from 300-320 hp) but I lost over 200 ft/lbs of torque compared to the morning runs (now down in the 600's). Called H&S while on the rack and they wanted a baseline pull and a 120tune pull back to back but I ran out of time & money on the dyno today. So I'm going to have to settle for where it's at for a while. Not too excited about paying for another hour on the dyno to run a stock vs 120 tune setting anytime soon, especially if it'll just show more crumby numbers...

Since my truck is a jeep hauler and not a race car, I should have never dyno'd this thing. I'm out $166 to learn my rig's a dog. :kick: Ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I thought you were supposed to run in 5th? I know 4th is a 1:1 ratio, but I thought you were supposed to run in 5th for more boost. Not sure as I don't know much about a dyno.

P

·
0 Posts
I am sort of surprised.

My 08 with the 120 installed is making my trans chatter when slightly accelerating, like in a lane change.

I used the 60 HP to go to North Carolina last weekend, that was the right combination. Even with the chip shield on the front of the trailer (That thing is like dragging a parachute) I got 18 with a 3700 empty trailer and 14.4 dragging almost 10,000 gross home @ 70MPH. I certainly wasn't hurting for power.

I wouldn't get too disappointed just yet. . .we already know these 6.7's act different side by side. It's like a fingerprint. No two seem to be alike. Casey will get it licked for ya

·
Registered
466 Posts
yes, interesting. planning on talking to h&s any further?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for posting this cncmoore, and sorry to hear that you had to spend 2 hours of time and money on the dyno trying to figure out what is going on.

How does the truck run with just the delete and CAI, and programmer on stock? Does it feel like you picked up 120rwhp with the tune on? The 120 tune on my old S06 would make the truck run like night and day, stock it'd barely get out of its way and with the tune it'd smoke the tires into 2nd gear (48RE).

R

·
0 Posts
Sounds like your tune isn't loading at all. Should be around 300/600 stock. I'm sure they will get you fixed up though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How does the truck run with just the delete and CAI, and programmer on stock?
I haven't run the XRT in stock mode. When I added the XRT, I did the DPF at the same time (and CAI a day or so after) so it's difficult to look back and decide how much of the improvement (and there was a big SOTP gain) was from the CAI and DPF delete. When I get a chance, I'll reload it to stock.

·
Registered
497 Posts
i had mine on the dyno once what a joke i was very un happy..

·
Registered
326 Posts
You NEED to dyno on the stock tune once for a frame of reference. It's a broken record, but dynos are for before/after improvements ONLY! Too many variables exist to just throw the truck on the dyno and spin the rollers without doing a baseline.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You NEED to dyno on the stock tune once for a frame of reference. It's a broken record, but dynos are for before/after improvements ONLY! Too many variables exist to just throw the truck on the dyno and spin the rollers without doing a baseline.
Only if you're trying to decide or validate a gain. I was only interested in learning the numbers my truck makes right now, which are dissappointing. Now I need a baseline if I want to fix/analyze my rig.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Only if you're trying to decide or validate a gain. I was only interested in learning the numbers my truck makes right now, which are dissappointing. Now I need a baseline if I want to fix/analyze my rig.
Lets figure out what is going on with the truck. To me it sounds like the tune did not take, or something strange is going on. Does it feel like there is a big difference in the feel of the truck with our tune and stock, or is it about the same? You should feel a HUGE difference between stock and the 120HP tune. If not, possibly when the XRT was updated, it did not load the tunes in the correct order. Dyno baselines are important for many reasons, it helps to rule out any mechanical problems or limitations. I have seen runs with very low horsepower and it turned out it was a badly clogged fuel filter. Not implying this is the problem in your case, but with a baseline it makes it easier to rule certain things out. Let me know how the truck drives and I'll try to figure it out for you.

-Casey

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I wonder how much the stock downpipe with cat is affecting things?
not that drastically....like casey said there must be other variables causing it...he jumped right on to lend a hand :thumbsup:

·
Braaap, Braaap, BOOM!!!
6,142 Posts
You need a baseline dyno run first and then pull. Remember the dyno is mainly a tuneing tool to see what you have gained.

·
Registered
258 Posts
and u must use the same dyno. if u can at the same outside temp. u cant dyno on one in the morning and dyno on a diff one in the afternoon ur readings are going to be way off:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Hmm... Ill be interested to see what the problem is.... You dont think it is due to the stock down pipe and cat?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I doubt that it makes a huge difference, but it would explain why it makes less power than some others are making.

·
Unreconstructed
6,117 Posts
Mine definitely feels like 100-120 extra ponies with my 5" TBE...as far as SOTP (Seat Of The Pants) goes...

I just figured I'd go ahead and do the works all at once, you know?

I still got a LONG way to go before I'm done my truck...LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts