Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Reconnaissance Expert
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Todays dyno day at DFI was excellent. Met alot of great people and had fun watching some powerful trucks go at it. Thanks Dixie for gettin this set up. Thanks to DFI for hosting us and grillin some great burgers.

·
Size Matters
643 Posts
Good numbers man. Wish i could have come out but gotta work tonight. I will see you guys next saturday though

·
Registered
31 Posts
Definately a good time. them burgers were the shiznit!!!

The new sticks from Don and the new intercooler definately kicked me onto the 600 club!!!

635/1319...not too shabby for a lill VP44 truck

·
Registered
418 Posts
My suspicions were right I am way down on power.All I can think is that my VP is on its way out.The truck has been gradually loosing boost over the last year,55# total boost now down to 40# . I will have to do some more looking now I know how far off I am.
285 hp 750 FtLbs Tq. with drag comp on 5x5 and no smarty
280 hp 610 FtLbs Tq. with smarty on 9 and no drag comp
260 hp 580 FtLbs Tq. on injectors only Mach III
What do you guys think.The truck starts great warm and cold.It doesn't show any thing wrong as far as drive-ability . Total boost 40 to 45# and Bottom turbo 20# when its 45# total. How do you tell if the VP is the problem

·
Registered
569 Posts
My suspicions were right I am way down on power.All I can think is that my VP is on its way out.The truck has been gradually loosing boost over the last year,55# total boost now down to 40# . I will have to do some more looking now I know how far off I am.
285 hp 750 FtLbs Tq. with drag comp on 5x5 and no smarty
280 hp 610 FtLbs Tq. with smarty on 9 and no drag comp
260 hp 580 FtLbs Tq. on injectors only Mach III
What do you guys think.The truck starts great warm and cold.It doesn't show any thing wrong as far as drive-ability . Total boost 40 to 45# and Bottom turbo 20# when its 45# total. How do you tell if the VP is the problem

Dont you have a fuel pressure gauge, or light? I would honestly expect more power than that with your set up.

·
Reconnaissance Expert
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dixie's truck has the pure capability to make 500-600 without a doubt. I think he has a problem with his VP44. Get a new one or atleast a good low mile one and lets run again.

By the way. Dixie's truck looks efffin sick.

·
Registered
569 Posts
yeah I hope he will be able to figure it out, with his set up i think a hotrod vp would do some real good things. haha i would love to see that. Of cours if the funds to buy one are available.

·
Reconnaissance Expert
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah not sure if a hotrod vp is needed. I am pretty sure dieselfreak had a stock vp today when he hit 630 so who knows

·
Bangin' through the gears
5,163 Posts
Looks like everyone but Dixie posted some good numbers, sorry man :banghead: Start a new thread and let's see if we can't diagnose what is wrong with that ride :thumbsup: And by we I mean everyone here at CF.......I'm not saying that I personally will figure it out :hehe: I would expect some BIG numbers out of your truck! And Maniac is correct your rig looks damn good!

Out of curiosity was that a Dyno jet guys?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Definately a good time. them burgers were the shiznit!!!

The new sticks from Don and the new intercooler definately kicked me onto the 600 club!!!

635/1319...not too shabby for a lill VP44 truck
Those are huge numbers for a vp truck. Like im more than impressed right now. A guy on here think his name is water lover has everything in your sig and more and he is only making 600 even.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have seen higher HP VP trucks than mine. Adam Winslett make over 1K when I was at Redding. Back in the day (2003) or so, Sportbike was over 800 with a VP when Don was developing his sticks.

Plus my sig is not up tp date.

On just motor, it runs 360 / 784

With the EZ. It jumps to 413 / 924
At this point the engine was de-fueling due to the old Edge timing issues with cooler charge air temps. I was not expecting this as air temp was in the 50’s, but it seems with the new BD intercooler, charge air temps were cool enough to cause the de-fuel. I may have to install that 1k ohm resistor on the IATS after all. There is more power lurking on this setting…could be another 20 ponies or so. 413 is also right in line with my run at Redding. But the 73 HP gain just from the EZ is almost unreal…this motor likes fuel, and seems to use it quite well

Full fuel she cranked out 635 / 1319. It took a bit cuz I needed a little heat in the intercooler to keep from de-fueling. Finally she would run out (BD makes a good unit). It took a few runs, but even after we shut it down, you could place your hand on the intercooler outlet and not scald yourself. The shape of this curve leads me to believe that if the engine could rev higher than the ecm would let it, there is more power in the motor on the top end....if only I could get there!!!!

Total boost is less than 60 with a rock steady 30 off the primary. Time to set it and forget it!!!!!!!!

Don has yet again made a great set of streetable sticks. Not much smoke at moderate throttle, but once you start getting aggressive, yee haa!!!!

Gooned it last night on the on-ramp while taking my girl to dinner….5th gear busted loose and sent the rear a little sideways!!!!! The squeals of delight from the passenger seat were priceless

ROCKIN!!!

Oh, who has the videos of my runs????

·
Reconnaissance Expert
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey diesel I emailed them to you yesterday. did you get them?

And your not telling the whole truth, even after all your runs and stuff the outlet of your cooler wasnt hot it was actually COLD to touch. On the verge of frosting over :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
LMAO...sorry to dissapoint, but it is fuel only...come on over and inspect the truck. you won't find any added oxidizers or ports for anything to inject.

I shopped around for an intercooler. I asked most all vendors for data....only BD was willing to share info that was realistic...shoot I even got a CAD file of the unit...I was able to virtually dissasemble it to see what I would be getting.

the truck runs good, but the true test will be up at DDP in June...if the truck lives that long

oh, I can't retrieve the file, the extension is something that my computer will not recognize

·
Registered
418 Posts
Looks like everyone but Dixie posted some good numbers, sorry man :banghead: Start a new thread and let's see if we can't diagnose what is wrong with that ride :thumbsup: And by we I mean everyone here at CF.......I'm not saying that I personally will figure it out :hehe: I would expect some BIG numbers out of your truck! And Maniac is correct your rig looks damn good!

Out of curiosity was that a Dyno jet guys?
It is a Dyno Dynamics ,and it loads hard I make as much boost on the dyno as I do on the road.Here is the link to my new thread .I knew i was down on power but not this far.I also didnt think it would bother me that much to know ,but now its killing me. My other problem is I just spent my fun money on a One up offroad 10" lift and I am tapped. I thought I could live with the power issue until the VP died but 285 is awful.Oh-ya here is the link thanks for listening ------------------------> Click here--> http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/9...sults-need-help-285-hp-eeeek.html#post1578412

·
Reconnaissance Expert
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nah i believe ya diesel. I looked under your hood. I will put the vids on youtube then and send you the links

·
Reconnaissance Expert
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
31 Posts
yee haa...that was good for at least 3 degrees of global warming!!!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Dont you have a fuel pressure gauge, or light? I would honestly expect more power than that with your set up.
i would expect atleast double what he made he should be able to make 280 with a pretty mild tune by itself

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.