Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple questions. I am getting ready to install dynatrac ball joints on my 2012. First question is, after reading the instructions it says I need an install kit in order to install them.. Is that true or can I install them with a normal ball joint press just like all other ball joints? Also I know I have to pull the axle shafts out in order to do the ball joints. Do I need to drain the front diff or will it be perfectly fine because I just changed the fluid a few weeks ago and would rather not mess with it unless I HAVE too. Thanks!

Registered
Normal Press will work fine, wont have to drain the diff, seals are inboard on the axle tubes the axles are dry.

1791 Conservative
There is an install kit. Thick washers to prevent damage to tops of joints. Got mine included from 8 Lug Truck Gear.

Registered
Both answers above are correct, if you read the online directions. There is a heavy washer needed to keep from damaging the joint on installation, and a "normal" ball joint press can be used with the washer to correctly install the joints damage free.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I can't install these ball joints without damaging them without this "washer"?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Installed the ball joints today, both sides in about a total of 3.5 hours. Passenger side ball joints were a lot worse than I thought once I pressed them out. They went in very easy even WITHOUT the dynatrac install kit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They appear to be a very solid ball joint. When I installed them, I put about 4 pumps of grease in the uppers. I have read they don't need to be greased right away but I did a little anyway. So far I like them. Steering is a little iffy due to the fact of how tight they made the knuckles. Hopefully they last a really long time. Ride is improved but I still feel as though these factory shocks are junk and plan to upgrade to bilsteins in the near future.

Registered
Ride is improved but I still feel as though these factory shocks are junk and plan to upgrade to bilsteins in the near future.
They are and you should! :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts