Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
my son used a cheaper roofing product from Home Depot. Comes in a roll. Same unvulconised stickey rubber ( lil thinner than DynoMatt ) same tin/alum foil top layer .
Inside of doors , floor , and back of cab ( an ole 94 12v single cab , 8' bed )

Big Big difference , sound ,warmth .

·
Registered
923 Posts
Bringing this thread back from the dead!

Wondering if anyone out there has any better options since Don at the sounddeadenershowdown.com website has since retired as of last year. Reading through the website, a lot of his stuff makes a ton of sense, but I'm curious if there are any other companies offering a similar product.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Bringing this thread back from the dead!

Wondering if anyone out there has any better options since Don at the sounddeadenershowdown.com website has since retired as of last year. Reading through the website, a lot of his stuff makes a ton of sense, but I'm curious if there are any other companies offering a similar product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
923 Posts

Have you used these guys before? Any real world experience/reviews to give?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Have you used these guys before? Any real world experience/reviews to give?
Yep. For personal and work. They primarily serve marine and commercial industries. I’m engineer on a private yacht in south Florida and we use a lot of their products to quiet down engine rooms and generators etc. yacht builders also use their stuff.

The mass loaded vinyl sandwiches between closed cell foam is phenomenal if you have the space. I believe Steve is the main guy there and is a wealth of knowledge. I suggest calling him to discuss your needs. They’re just down the street from me, he’s helped me a bunch with my own boat and van which both have loud cummins. 1.954.761.9188

·
Registered
923 Posts
Emailed Don and didnt get anything back, just as an update to everyone. I guess he is gone for good.

Does anyone sell a CLD Tile that is similar to Don's? There must be some copy cats out there. The Mass Loaded Vinyl seems easy enough to find, but the tiles, which apparently make a huge difference don't seem to be around much.

·
Supporting Vendor
8,230 Posts
Lead sheet is really good. Its one of the best sound deadening and blocking materials. Check ebay and a roofing supply place.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Emailed Don and didnt get anything back, just as an update to everyone. I guess he is gone for good.

Does anyone sell a CLD Tile that is similar to Don's? There must be some copy cats out there. The Mass Loaded Vinyl seems easy enough to find, but the tiles, which apparently make a huge difference don't seem to be around much.
Interesting. I just read about his CLD tiles. Are/were they really that much better than dynamat or any of the amazon knock offs?

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Did it in my 98. just did doors, rear panel, and extended cab part. blew through 100 sq ft.

never got around to the roof or floor.

nice difference. well worth the time
The 24v is the loudest light truck engine out there. I owned one for seven years. Wish I'd done insulation from day one. Helps the owner but still blasts the neighborhood.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Check out Noico sound deafening mat on amazon. Lots of great reviews and is well made stuff. I used it on my doors and have plenty left over to do the back wall and roof one of these days. Made a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Interesting. I just read about his CLD tiles. Are/were they really that much better than dynamat or any of the amazon knock offs?

Its not so much that they are better than dynamat, but when used in conjunction with a product like dynamat, the sound difference is apparently very noticable. The "science" behind it being that the CLD tiles eliminate the sounds of the metal panels moving around or grinding on each other. Then when you put a sound deadening product over that, it almost completely eliminates the sound.

Take a spin through his website if you havent already. Its good stuff. The best part, he even has a picture diary of doing a 3rd gen 2500 quad cab.

·
Trying to learn
5,451 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
So after some digging, for those that care, it seems like Don has quit and is not willing to sell his business or ideas to anyone. A guy named Nick, who runs an audio shop is apparently taking up the mantle to run a second business on the side in the same vein as Don's old stuff. His website is here:

Resonix Sound Solutions

He will be releasing some more stuff around June, and hopefully I can grab some CLD tiles from him and then Dynamat overtop of that. Beware however, all the dynamats are not created equal. If you are looking to go lightweight but decent performing sound deadening, Dynamat Extreme is the way to go. According to me looking around, however, there is a new test that is being coducted on a different forum as we speak, but the last test came out with KnuKonceptz Kolossus having some of the best CLD tiles apart from Don himself, so that should be the most viable alternative with Don closing his doors.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
You are correct and int is very unfortunate that Don has retired and closed down SDS.

That said, both the Resonix CLD and also the KnoKonceptz Kolossus are VERY good products.

In fact, based on their physical specifications (i.e. specified weight and thickness), I suspect that they are both manufcatured by the same factory with different names printed on them.

·
Registered
923 Posts
You are correct and int is very unfortunate that Don has retired and closed down SDS.

That said, both the Resonix CLD and also the KnoKonceptz Kolossus are VERY good products.

In fact, based on their physical specifications (i.e. specified weight and thickness), I suspect that they are both manufcatured by the same factory with different names printed on them.
Seafish! Good to see you dude. I've seen your handle a ton on some of the older audio threads and was hoping you'd chime in. The forum you linked in one thread that is all for audiophiles is good stuff!

What do you think of my plan to use either resonix or KnoKonceptz CLD tiles and then use Dynamat Xtreme over that? I want to have the same effect as SDS was advertising but obviously he's not selling his products anymore.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
One if the best things that Don ever did besides offering high quality, properly designed acoustic products, was to explain that by using a properly designed CLD applied at approximately 30% of the center portion of a panel is just as acoustically effective, and more cost effective, then using 100% coverage of an inferior product. In short, further application of CLD beyond this point on the same panel will achieve slightly more acoustic damping, but at a MUCH reduced rate of cost effectiveness.

That said, once the larger, unreinforced panels (i.e. doors, back wall, even ceiling though not necessarily floor) are done at 30% coverage, you SHOULD use the money to apply 100% coverage of a thin closed cell foam (like ensolite or Resonix also sells a quality CCF) and the most important part, 100% coverage using a dense material like MLV (mass loaded vinyl) or even thin sheet lead!!! Mass (in this case. weight per square foot) is what is effective at BLOCKING sound waves (like road or engine noise) and by adding 100% coverage (LOL minus the windows) you turn the trucks cabin into a space MUCH more conducive to listening to the finer details of the music you want to hear.

Needless to say, the MLV or sheet lead is extremely costly to ship so that many openly choose to not use it. That is a mistake. The proper application of CLD, CCF and MLV is what effectively quiets the listening space in your already loud truck. The best place, IMO, to get the MLV is from Trademark
Sound Solutions that offers free shipping on orders of 99$. Get yourself a 100 sf roll of their quality 1#/sf MLV and your mostly set--

FYI -- Resonix was started by a Diyma member SQ installer who decided to fill the vacuum that SDS left when Don retired.
Like SDS did, he has sourced only high quality acoustic products and has begin to post LOTS of info on his website.

Thats said, and like I posted earlier, I am almost positive that the Knu Lolcepts Kolossus CLD asvaialbel from Amazon is the same stuff likely to perform just as well as the Resonix, unlike many other CLD products.

just my .02

·
Registered
190 Posts
One if the best things that Don ever did besides offering high quality, properly designed acoustic products, was to explain that by using a properly designed CLD applied at approximately 30% of the center portion of a panel is just as acoustically effective, and more cost effective, then using 100% coverage of an inferior product. In short, further application of CLD beyond this point on the same panel will achieve slightly more acoustic damping, but at a MUCH reduced rate of cost effectiveness.

That said, once the larger, unreinforced panels (i.e. doors, back wall, even ceiling though not necessarily floor) are done at 30% coverage, you SHOULD use the money to apply 100% coverage of a thin closed cell foam (like ensolite or Resonix also sells a quality CCF) and the most important part, 100% coverage using a dense material like MLV (mass loaded vinyl) or even thin sheet lead!!! Mass (in this case. weight per square foot) is what is effective at BLOCKING sound waves (like road or engine noise) and by adding 100% coverage (LOL minus the windows) you turn the trucks cabin into a space MUCH more conducive to listening to the finer details of the music you want to hear.

Needless to say, the MLV or sheet lead is extremely costly to ship so that many openly choose to not use it. That is a mistake. The proper application of CLD, CCF and MLV is what effectively quiets the listening space in your already loud truck. The best place, IMO, to get the MLV is from Trademark
Sound Solutions that offers free shipping on orders of 99$. Get yourself a 100 sf roll of their quality 1#/sf MLV and your mostly set--

FYI -- Resonix was started by a Diyma member SQ installer who decided to fill the vacuum that SDS left when Don retired.
Like SDS did, he has sourced only high quality acoustic products and has begin to post LOTS of info on his website.

Thats said, and like I posted earlier, I am almost positive that the Knu Lolcepts Kolossus CLD asvaialbel from Amazon is the same stuff likely to perform just as well as the Resonix, unlike many other CLD products.

just my .02
How thick is that 1#/sqft sheet? I have some 1/4” left over from a boat project but it’s just too heavy to use all over the truck.

Soundown mentioned above makes a nice product with ccf and mlv in a sandwich. Can get adhesive backed too. It’s the go to for marine engine rooms etc

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
How thick is that 1#/sqft sheet? I have some 1/4” left over from a boat project but it’s just too heavy to use all over the truck.
1#/sf MLV is approximately 1/8"thick , but by the time you combine it wth another layer of 1/8" CCF, you are dealing 1/4" thick.
At least in my truck, I had no problem getting the door panels back on with the imbued thickness, though YMMV in other types of (read more modern) vehicles.

The advantage of using sheet lead (ignore it potentially toxic properties for now) is that it is MUCH thinner and MORE MALLEABLE for the same sound blocking effect!!! For example, 1#/Sf sheet lead is only 1/64" thick...so I bought some 2#/SF (1/32"thick) lead and encapsulated in PSA CCF to lay on the floor of the truck and it was extremely easy to mold into the floor pan and over the tranny hump then MLV would have been, as well as providing me TWICE AS MUCH MASS to block engine, tire, road and tranny noise coming from underneath the truck.

Look at the numbers below to get an idea about how effectively lead can work to block noise, as long as you don't mind toting the extra weight around in your truck LOL!!!

Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 10.37.25 AM.png

·
Registered
190 Posts
1#/sf MLV is approximately 1/8"thick , but by the time you combine it wth another layer of 1/8" CCF, you are dealing 1/4" thick.
At least in my truck, I had no problem getting the door panels back on with the imbued thickness, though YMMV in other types of (read more modern) vehicles.

The advantage of using sheet lead (ignore it potentially toxic properties for now) is that it is MUCH thinner and MORE MALLEABLE for the same sound blocking effect!!! For example, 1#/Sf sheet lead is only 1/64" thick...so I bought some 2#/SF (1/32"thick) lead and encapsulated in PSA CCF to lay on the floor of the truck. Look at the numbers below to get an idea about how lead can work to block noise--

View attachment 905899
Nice. I was under the impression the ccf was like 1/2” if 1/8 to a 1/4 is all that’s needed that would be great

·
Registered
923 Posts

just my .02
Forgive the dumb question, but I just want to make sure I've got it all straight.

The CLD tiles are easy. I get the purpose and i get the application. I guess the difference between the CCF and MLV is where I'm stuck. I see that Resonix and KK sell what appears to be CCF but not MLV, unless they are one in the same. Or are you telling me that i would have to do layers of CLD tiles, THEN a resonix/KK CCF, and THEN an MLV like dynamat?

Maybe my confusion stems from not understanding what a material like dynamat actually classifies as.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts