Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
For sure. The 60 mill is great. But if you want to do it once, and leave it...get the 80 mil. For your doors, just put a 6" square on the center of the outside doorskin, and cover as much of the inner doorskin as possible, leaving only holes for the line up tabs for the doorcard. This helps seal the door.

The other major problmatic spot on our trucks is the back wall under the rear window. It transmits a ton of noise. In megacabs, the c-pillars are also big hollow resonators that need a bit of care as well.

·
Registered
752 Posts
subscribing

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Bringin this one back, I just ordered 150 sq ft, and it's on it's way. 347 shipped to Canada. Can't complian it's the fatmat and only 50 mil but also gonna double up the rear wall roof and floor with 100 sqft of rattle trap 80 mill. Hopefully this will make it nice and quiet I'm pretty excited for it to arrive and get to work on it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
256 Posts
Bringin this one back, I just ordered 150 sq ft, and it's on it's way. 347 shipped to Canada. Can't complian it's the fatmat and only 50 mil but also gonna double up the rear wall roof and floor with 100 sqft of rattle trap 80 mill. Hopefully this will make it nice and quiet I'm pretty excited for it to arrive and get to work on it

Yes it will muffle sound and make your tunes sound better, no it will not make it quite.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Yes it will muffle sound and make your tunes sound better, no it will not make it quite.
Oh. Mmm. Need some other material I guess. More reading to do

Just read te sounddeadnershowdown website gonna get in contact with don and tell him what I want and to send me everything I need and a little extra. But not before I pm chemmins

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
DONT USE DYNAMAT!!! WAY overpriced! To me its like buying a snap-on wrench vs. buying the same thing in craftsman or now kobalt; they all do the same job and all have lifetime warranties, but you can get 2 craftsman/kobalt for the price of 1 snapon.
Personally, I went with the cheapest i could find on ebay when i did my '01's interior; made a huge difference, but didnt stick as well as i'd like. When i did my '05, i went with Fatmat's .80 mil deadener. so far great results and sticks VERY well. I did the floor, walls, and the roof/ceiling. i did the doors, but only partially. one of these days i'll finish them off too. Just a tip, you'll need more than 100 sqft when doing the complete interior. i used about a 140 doing single layer only.
X2
Me and a buddy went this route and it really made a difference. I did the whole back wall and around the door speakers. I plan on getting more to fully cover all 4 doors.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
It made a huge difference in my '05. Next up is the 03; gonna do the .80mil (or thicker) again and cover with mass loaded vinyl and closed cell foam. Also, will prolly fill the pillars and large gaps/holes with some of that spraycan expanding foam.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Bigtex. Did u use the 80 rattle trap in ur first project or the 50 fat mat

·
Supporting Vendor
8,225 Posts
nothing works better than SHEET LEAD. next is Mass Loaded Vinly, or spray coat (spray is expensive)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I did my whole cab with FatMat Rattle Trap. Added another layer of regular .60 mil on top of that on the floor and back wall. Filled all the voids with expanding foam. Spent a good week and a half on it...didn't do a thing for noise but it sounds solid when I slam the door.

Not worth it unless you already have it gutted. I have pictures I can upload if you'd like.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
There's alot of pics available here. I guess I'm going with 50 mil fat mat then ccf then mlv doubled up on floor and rear. Then some ccf to separate the trim. I'm in need of a project to kill a few days. Things are alot better in the garage then "at home" if you know what I mean. Lol

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
if you have that kinda time then come handle some of my projects! im so disappointed i though i was going to knock out a lot of projects this winter and i didnt even accomplish one with all the hours at work... now its starting to get hot and it makes it 10 times harder to get off butt and do them...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The deadener will never kill noise, it does help with rattles and climate control. It is not until you use all 3 products properly you see the actual noise blocking effects.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Bigtex. Did u use the 80 rattle trap in ur first project or the 50 fat mat
Nope, the first time (on the old '01) i used the cheapest stuff I could find on ebay and it was .50mil; I dont even remember the name. It made a huge difference; went from loud as hell in the cab to actually being able to have a conversation at 70mph.
The second time around on the '05, I used the .80mil FatMat. It did a really good job too. I didnt have a decible meter either of those times, but I finally bought one. So now, when I get to do all of this all over again, I'll have before and after decibel readings to share. :thumbsup:

Things are alot better in the garage then "at home" if you know what I mean. Lol
Completely understand this one. These are usually the times I get my BIG projects done.

·
3 footin' through life
12,334 Posts
Great thread.

I just read through the whole sounddeadenershowdown page. Great info on there.

I'm rather interested in doing a bit of this stuff. I did some with my first car when I was younger. Dynamat, peelnseal, expanding foam, all the cheap bs. Heck I had half a batt of insulation stuffed in my rear quarter panels. LOL. I'm thinking it'll be nice to give a better attempt with a much better budget this time. The stuff in my current truck was installed by an audio shop(basically just a couple squares of dynamat).

Going forward, I'm mostly interested in getting the interior trim to stop rattling. Throughout the winter the passenger door has been bugging the heck outta me. I'll probably start there now that its warmer. Funny how seasonality effects our projects so much. When winter hits my garage habitation plummets.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Funny how seasonality effects our projects so much. When winter hits my garage habitation plummets.
Nothin one of those shop jet heaters wouldnt fix! :hehe:

·
3 footin' through life
12,334 Posts
Might as well run the truck in the garage with the amount of black those POS' put out.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I got one of those hot dawg heaters. Works deadly and keep te garage at a balmy 70 don't even notice it on the bill. Probably because I keep the house at 60 lol

·
Registered
190 Posts
I saw drastic improvements in engine noise reduction on my boat that has a 4bt in the center console. I used a material from soundown http://www.soundown.com/AI.htm. The one used has MLV sandwiches between two layers of foam. I adhered it with spray adhesive and basically boxed in the engine. We almost named the boat “what?” Before doing this.

I’m probably going to do the same in my 6bt van but use a bit of the tiles or fatmat underneath

61 - 80 of 106 Posts