Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled my carpet out yesterday and pressure washed it....LOOKS BRAND NEW!!

Got me really thinking about doing Dyanmat or another product. I would Totally gut the interior, Dash and all and cover the Entire cab minus the roof in Dyanmat or a simular product. Ive never used it and i have no experiance with it. Is it really worth it? I Really want a quiet ride inside. Also was thinking this would help with Exhaust drone.

Is there anything out there that is cheaper with equal quality? Who has done it and were pleased with the results?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Start looking around some car audio sites for some other brands than dynamat, if you want really quiet you will need to do the roof and inside of the doors.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
I like your idea. I want to do the same thing, but i was thinking of applying a liquid sound deadener with dynamat on top.

Sent from my LG-P925 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
510 Posts
Dynamat doesn't only help reduce sound, but it really insulated the truck better, keeps it cooler in the summer!

Look at Fatmat. Same stuff, much cheaper!
Did you pull all of your seats out to clean the carpet? I noticed its all mud under my carpet and I want to get it all out in case it gets damp

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
There are many differnt products available, the trick is to apply them correctly...LOTS of good info at http://sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Don also has great customer service, takes the time to answer ANY questions you might have, and also has careful packaging. I have bought from him twice to do the front and rear doors of my truck, and will do it again for the headliner ( I have a lumber rack that makes a slight roaring noise).

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
DONT USE DYNAMAT!!! WAY overpriced! To me its like buying a snap-on wrench vs. buying the same thing in craftsman or now kobalt; they all do the same job and all have lifetime warranties, but you can get 2 craftsman/kobalt for the price of 1 snapon.
Personally, I went with the cheapest i could find on ebay when i did my '01's interior; made a huge difference, but didnt stick as well as i'd like. When i did my '05, i went with Fatmat's .80 mil deadener. so far great results and sticks VERY well. I did the floor, walls, and the roof/ceiling. i did the doors, but only partially. one of these days i'll finish them off too. Just a tip, you'll need more than 100 sqft when doing the complete interior. i used about a 140 doing single layer only.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!!!! I will look into fatmax. Also looking into Audio Technix products as well. Big texas was it worth it?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CB90 Yes i pulled every thing out of the truck and pressure washed the carpet with the carpet hanging over our gooseneck trailer. DO NOT WASH IT IN YOUR TRUCK, you will cause more problems than can be listed here. Wait until the carpet and pad is totally dry to put it back in. I used a shop vac to speed things up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought my truck with a $7k sound system already in it including the entire cab being lined with dynamat. my truck also has a full 5" exhaust with no cat or muffler, that being said with the windows up i can barely hear the exhaust at all while driving. if any window is craked and i happen to be driving along a wall or fence, now thats a different story lol

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Big texas was it worth it?
it was definitely worth it in my 01. And it was worth the little bit extra i paid on the Fatmat for the 05. road noise is way down, as is the straight piped exhaust note in the cab. i can also tell that my speakers arent working as hard as they used to. I still need to do some system 'tuning', but that is for a different thread and/or forum. :thumbsup: DO IT! :hehe:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Did it in my 98. just did doors, rear panel, and extended cab part. blew through 100 sq ft.

never got around to the roof or floor.

nice difference. well worth the time

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
I did the whole nine yards. I filled the doors with expanding foam between the window mechanism and steel exterior. I removed the whole interior down to the metal. I first spray painted a few layers of a sound deadening product, Noxidol, on every surface. I got almost 3/16" thickness in the end. Then I installed 2-3 layers of 1/8" "mass loaded vinyl" a very heavy, dense vinyl. I put a lot around the stick and the passenger floor. I shove it up the firewall as far as I could. I then put 3/4" high density foam on top of that, including the cab wall behind the seat. I made 1" risers to lift the seats so they would fit back in place. Doesn't affect my driving position at all. I did the cab ceiling the same, but used 1/4" foam. I removed the stick bellows and put a bunch of foam on top of the transmission. I made a wood barrier/plate that fills the huge hole in the floor tunnel. I carefully cut out the wood to allow for transmission and transfer case stick movement. I put MLV on top of that and more foam. I even did the interior of the hood, Noxidol, MLV, then a reflective heat pad to protect everything else. The hood probably weighs 100lb. It was a total pain in the a$$ to do all of that and not cheap either. I probably added 200 lbs of sound deadening to the truck, no kidding. Did it make a difference. Hell yes it did. No, it is still not a Lexus, but it is sure a LOT better than it was.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
that does sound like a TON of work. I would think that a single layer of .80 mil deadener would work a little better than some of that foam. At least help reduce some of the thickness used.
I think the shipping weight of a 100sqft order (2 rolls) is like 35 pounds. so i probably added about 55 lbs with the deadener, spray foam, and foam padding; not counting the weight of the stereo system.

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
Baja,

They make sound deadening blankets for the engine. Covers the valve cover and the oil pan. I would have done that before I add that much sound deader to the underside of the hood.

I'd like to hear the difference in your ride though. For that much work if I even heard the engine running I'd be ticked to say the least.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
I did a bunch of research on sound and the different qualities of it. I then used the different products to deaden the different qualities of sound. Each layer adds to the mix. I do not think one layer of one product would do a lot, some, yes, but it will not be complete. It took about 1 day to do each product and a few more to remove and install the interior, 6 working days total. Anyway, since I was so involved, I decided that I will NEVER do something like this again, so I just went all out.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been looking into the peel and seal at lowes everyone has been using. Only down falls are a foul smell some are claiming. Living in south east texas with summers over 100* im almost certain to smell it, some say it doesnt smell at all. But when the Peel and seal is 1.03 p/sqft and the fatmat is 1.23 a square foot the price difference is minimal for a probable better product with the fatmat. Anyone used the peel and seal here.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
I have a box of Scosche Accumat, AMT750, new in box, 2 pieces 24"x27" and one extra @ 17"x27" if anybody wants it. PM me, I will gladly sell it cheap. It is just laying around my shop collecting dust.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I like it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

1 - 20 of 119 Posts