Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I heard of guys dumping their used motor/trans oil in their fuel tanks. Mostly guys driving semis, but a few cummins pickup drivers as well. What are the pros and cons of doing this?

·
Registered
376 Posts
pros: vp injector lube
cons: if you do i wouldnt put much in at a time, and if its real cold where you are id hold off until its warmer because it will thicken up the fuel a little bit. i have done this with my last truck and it didnt affect it at all that i noticed

·
Registered
134 Posts
has done the same thing in my 12V, never did notice anything change in motor, have also ran straight Wesson veggie/peanut oil also...

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Buddy of mine runs a 60/40 mix in his 12v bit dont know that it helps anything with th truck but im sure it saves him some money
60% diesel and 40% used oil....?? :confused013:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have heard of this also, my only thought was if your using motor oil wouldnt you have to use some kind of magnet to get all the little metal shavings out. that cant be good to run through the pump, injectors, motor

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have heard of this also, my only thought was if your using motor oil wouldnt you have to use some kind of magnet to get all the little metal shavings out. that cant be good to run through the pump, injectors, motor
i didnt think of that:doh:

·
Registered
100 Posts
does it make it smoke more
thats a good question hopefully someone knows an answer. can you run fryer oil the same way? with a partial blend not 100%

·
Registered
180 Posts
i wouldnt think there should be that many metal shavings in it unless your motors coming apart... if so the 2 micron filter should catch anything :thumbsup: 2 micron is like .00007 of an inch, the average hair on your head is .0025 and a piece of paper is around .0045. my dad has a machine shop and a guy was explaining how much a .0001 of an inch was (we had to make a couple of parts with a tolerance of +or- .0001) this is what he said. take a dump and wipe with your had, obviously wash your hands throughly, the poop smell left over on your hands is .0001 of a inch. :hehe:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I run WMO once in a while If I have it laying around.I run it through these paper cone filters first to make sure there are no big chunks haha.I read that it is ok to do in small quantities in the 24valve trucks.The 12 valve trucks can run a higher ratio and not be affected.The only reason I do it is because it's free and I'm broke as hell:rof I think the only down side to doing this is the gunk you will most likely have at the bottom of your tank after a few years.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I run WMO once in a while If I have it laying around.I run it through these paper cone filters first to make sure there are no big chunks haha.I read that it is ok to do in small quantities in the 24valve trucks.The 12 valve trucks can run a higher ratio and not be affected.The only reason I do it is because it's free and I'm broke as hell:rof I think the only down side to doing this is the gunk you will most likely have at the bottom of your tank after a few years.
off set with some bio diesel and I dont think that should be too much of an issue. definately want to filter it very well though, you might not see any shavings but lube oil picks up things like increase in molyb and other metals, they are just microscopic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts