Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I bought a stack kit months ago and finally going to install it this weekend (hopefully) and I'm wondering if there are any performance gains or losses from stacks compared to straight pipe.

I currently have a 4inch straight pipe and will be changing to 4 inch to dual 7 inch bed stacks. Will I see any performance changes?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
361 Posts
the only gain you'll see is in cab noise and a massive reduction in resale value.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the noise and not for sale lol

Reactions: Peterman9000

·
Registered
242 Posts
There is quite a bit more cab noise and the drone is insane. Now, the definition of "noise" differs depending on what you are doing.

Rolling around through town, or running over to the next town over? It is music to my ears! Sounds like a log truck.

Hooked up to a 5th wheel taking your family on vacation and having the A/C fail in the middle of summer on a 7 day trip? Make sure to bring asprin, and a box of ear plugs. You learn to hate it quick when you have to listen to that noise for hours on end reverberating off of the front of the trailer directly back into the cab.

Needless to say, the tail pipe went back on and I had a 4.5" hole in my bed that was great for draining water.

·
Supporting Vendors
156 Posts
Nope 4" flows enough for the vp.
I agree. The 4 inch kits can handle quite a bit. Depending on what stack kit you have, make sure you have little weep holes on the bottom of the elbows to allow for water drainage. If you don't then you may wake up one wet morning with lots of soot all over the truck on start up.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree. The 4 inch kits can handle quite a bit. Depending on what stack kit you have, make sure you have little weep holes on the bottom of the elbows to allow for water drainage. If you don't then you may wake up one wet morning with lots of soot all over the truck on start up.
How big should I make the weep holes and should i put them at the elbow in the "Y" pipe and both elbows under each stack? So 3 separate elbows...

·
Supporting Vendors
156 Posts
The weep holes do not have to be extremely big. Just big enough to let water drain out. If im not mistaken i may have used a 1/4 inch bit.

You should just be able to do it at the y pipe.

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Hood Stack, Hood Stack, Hood Stack!!!:party018:

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Stacks are a love/hate kinda thing. Its not really my thing but if you don't mind the noise or the droning go for it. No pros or cons in regards to power...just asthetics and noise.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Put wheep holes at elbows and below the y. You’ll still get black soot on your truck.

Stacks look alright if done nicely on a 2nd gen. I was gonna use cat stacks. And hwy driving and you’ll get tired of the noise. Above the cab will make it more bareable in the cab but I think for looks they are better suited lower.

Everything has its place and noise wasn’t the reason I never went through with the stacks. Same as 3/4 tons rolling round with cb antennas. Dual stacks belong on a semi.

But still cool to see now and again on an old Cummins.

Post pic when done

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
And even on an OTR tractor they are wrong, really. Unless there's a 3408 under the hood, in which case the dual exhaust actually makes sense.

There isn’t any performance gain no. My dads c15 twin turbo avert has a 4” I believe dp off the turbo lol

But a single stack don’t look right imo.

I love seeing the little puff of smoke when I shift from both pipes. Or the smoke in the winter.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Agreed. But the 3408 is a V8, so dual exhaust makes sense on those.
Guess the look really caught on and now it's hard to find a tractor with a single stack.

·
Registered
225 Posts
When I had my stack i ran a 4040 aero turbine muffler and in my opinion it wasnt bad at all. Loved it actually.
Then I got more into side work, and wanted a tool box. And a more "politically correct" exhaust. So 5 inch straight pipe lol

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the stacks on today. I think it looks and sounds awesome!

It was a little bit of a pita to get exactly the way I wanted but turned out great and I'm happy.

Reactions: Syco67

·
Registered
313 Posts
Look pretty good! I like the black better than the chrome.

Reactions: Clunk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll be in Albany this morning if you want to run em. (Insert stirring pot emoji here) 😉
Lol stuck working unfortunately...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts