Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of the DTT shift enhancer and I was thinking of getting the valve body to. My truck is basically stock but will add Smarty Jr soon. Is this a decent upgrade for now?

·
Registered
877 Posts
I am having one installed on my new Billet Goerend tranny...I was told that the shift enhancer basically fools your TCM into thinking you are at wide open throttle when you are at 20% throttle or less or something like that...IT GETS RID OF SHUTTLE SHIFTING!!!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Oh I thought Goerend had their own shifter electronics...., I wouldn't really consider the shift enhancer an upgrade, rather a fix if you have certain auto trans shifting problems. I just had mine installed after getting a DDT trans, and it seemed to have gotten rid of the 1-2 hunting - granted, I also changed the gov. soleinoid and pressure transducer at the same time too. It has 3 settings - daily, tow and race, and I've tried changing it from the "daily" setting, but it just threw a code, and another time I tried to change it, it started bucking like crazy, like it was going back and forth from 2 to 3 every second or so. Weird. So now I just leave it on "daily" lol. Crazy electronics.

I do like the DTT trans!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just had the gov solenoid replaced and still have the 1-2 shutter shift and 3-2 down shift at part throttle. After reading a lot lately I think the Borg Warner solenoid, Dtt VB and enhancer should get everything under control, I hope.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Dave Goerend sells the DTT shift enhancer. He told me that he does have a valve body on his personal truck that is a constant 165 (or something that high) PSI. He told me that it is untested towing. So I just told him to put in his normal VB and DTT shift enhancer. the constant pressure VB sounds like a good idea if someone wants to test it out.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The constant pressure VB only works if you have a GM EPC Gov upgrade, otherwise you flood the solenoid.

The DTT enhanser essentially does the same job. If you tranny is built properly & has a base line pressure of atleast 85PSI, the enhanser will bring the cruising in lock up pressures close to that mark.

Each setting (daily, towing, race) increases the line pressure 15psi over the previous setting. Typically a 48RE will cruise at 120PSI on lock up, add the 45psi of the enhanser in race mode & you've got your 165.

All it does it modify the signal from the APPS to the TTVA & 'fool' the TTVA into thinking you're giving it more throttle than you actually are, but without exceed 75%, which would cause a downshift.

The old BD pressure lock worked in a similar fashion, however, it only had the 75% setting & only once cruising at highway speeds in lock up.

Thats what makes the enhanser and the APPS/TTVA so great, you can run better pressures very simply!

·
Registered
877 Posts
The constant pressure VB only works if you have a GM EPC Gov upgrade, otherwise you flood the solenoid.
I am sure Dave already has that worked out. :thumbsup: I just didnt want to be the one to test it in a towing setting.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yes, I'm sure he does Exammo, I was simply explaining how the DTT Shift Enhanser works.

Constant pressure valve bodies in torqueflite's are nothing new. Almost all full manual 727's are set up this way.

The 48RE is afterall based on the 727 with its leading edge 1962 technology.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts