Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 2020 Ram 2500 MegaCab and am thinking of installing a Titan larger fuel tank (50 gallon) to replace the original fuel tank. My concern is that the DistanceTo Empty (DTE) will need to be recalibrated and not sure how to do this.Has anyone installed a larger tank and had to recalibrate?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am going to get the Titan for my 3500, and from what I understand, the DTE will stay at the same mileage for a full regular tank until you actually get to what the stock is.

No one I have seen has been able to reprogram the computer. Kinda wondering with the 50 gallon tank on the 3500 long bed, if they changed something in the computer.

What were they thinking, putting a small tank on a truck that doesn't get great mileage towing?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! So let me make sure I get what you’re saying; if full stock DTE is 400 miles, it’ll remain 400 miles to empty as the gauge gets lower, but will then count down from 400 as fuel is being burned once it actually reaches the “true” 400 DTE?

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Mine does not read correctly at all on my 201 I. Good 10 gallons past full and 10 gallons past empty.

·
Banned
449 Posts
So I have a 52 gallon S&B on my 18.

you get the Extra 21 gallons in 2 places.

About 18 on top, about 8 under E. The rest is over the range (5 gallons?)

Your DTE isn’t THAT off, except that you can go way further technically at E than you can with a stock tank. But the DTE is pretty good because you just stay at, lets say, 1/2 tank longer, so it just reads 450 miles longer, then it drops to 440 lets say, and stays there longer.

from the point it says 450, you’ll prob get 480-500 to when you fill up IF you don’t use the below E

·
Registered
474 Posts
I wish there was a way to just recalibrate it I just put a 55 gallon Titan in my 2020 with a FASS sump and lift pump , it literally just stays on full forever and then acts normal for a little while and then when you fill it up a little under 1/4 it will take about 30 gallons

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just received the S&B 51 gallon tank they released for the megacabs (2019 mega here). Also interested in the reprogramming.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Let me know what you guys find out. also is anybody using the fast filter system also and why. Sorry i am new to this 2500 world

·
Registered
2019 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie; Bone Stock
13 Posts
I just ordered the Titan tank with a Fleece lift pump. Should hope to have everything in around the weekend of the 8th of May. Doing some research, the DTE can be adjusted with AlphaOBD or at the dealership. If using AlphaOBD, set it to max of 194 liters as anything over that will affect the fuel gauge. I got all this info from a couple other forums. Will let you know if we were able to make it work or not.

·
Trying to learn
8,037 Posts
When you get it installed and figure out the calibration, could you post about the procedure in the AlfaOBD section, Please?

·
Registered
13 Posts
When you get it installed and figure out the calibration, could you post about the procedure in the AlfaOBD section, Please?
TryNto -- I found this in that forum link you asked me to post to.

Alfa OBD Procedures

See Post # 6 in that link. There are directions in that google drive link on how to change the capacity.

I have not attempted this yet as I am still waiting on the tank to get here. I asked in another post but will ask here too. I have the SGM cable for my EZLynk. Will that cable work with AlphaOBD or do I need to order the one from KAOdTEch?

I need to know so I can get it ordered. My OBDLink MX+ is ordered and on its way. Should get here about the same time as the tank. Thanks all.

Reactions: tryNto

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just noticed yesterday that through my ezlynk that I can change the capacity of my tank in the system too. Tank gets delivered tomorrow. Won't be able to swap out til Fri or Sat. Will update on how the reprogramming goes after install.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: tryNto

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just noticed yesterday that through my ezlynk that I can change the capacity of my tank in the system too. Tank gets delivered tomorrow. Won't be able to swap out til Fri or Sat. Will update on how the reprogramming goes after install.

So, I got the truck back from dealer and reinstalled my tunes from Calibrated Power. I then used the EZLynk to change tank capacity from 32 to 52 (only options) and as soon as it finished the Run command my DTE started adjusting immediately. It also changed the location of the fuel level indicator. Since I am still running the 32 Gal tank and need to know exactly where I am at so I can run it as low as possible for the swap this weekend I put it back to the 32 Gal setting. DTE adjusted right back to where it was at before I ran the first command.

Got my OBDLink MX+ in the mail today. The bypass cable is on the way so I will play with that one too when I get a chance to see how it works with these newer trucks. I will post if there are any changes to the directions that I linked to above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, I got the truck back from dealer and reinstalled my tunes from Calibrated Power. I then used the EZLynk to change tank capacity from 32 to 52 (only options) and as soon as it finished the Run command my DTE started adjusting immediately. It also changed the location of the fuel level indicator. Since I am still running the 32 Gal tank and need to know exactly where I am at so I can run it as low as possible for the swap this weekend I put it back to the 32 Gal setting. DTE adjusted right back to where it was at before I ran the first command.

Got my OBDLink MX+ in the mail today. The bypass cable is on the way so I will play with that one too when I get a chance to see how it works with these newer trucks. I will post if there are any changes to the directions that I linked to above.
See this YT video about draining your fuel tank by having the factory pump pump it out. It may help when you are planning to drop the tank.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Installed new tank and adjusted the bcm with ezlynk. DTE says 650ish miles at 12.5 mpg.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts