Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
you need to pull all that crap off and go back stock.

·
Registered
85 Posts
you need to pull all that crap off and go back stock.
So the stock setup is better? I put an Afe torque tube on and Swiss cheesed my airbox, and run the Napa four inch filter. Diesel shop said I need to run a different intake and get rid of cat to lower egts. I'M sure they are trying to sell me something. Would a Tag work with afe torque tube?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Stock is good to like 500hp im pretty sure. Stock is ugly tho. S&B all the way

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
install a 6.7 takeoff and a psm kit.
the 6.7 filter filters better than the s&b, holds more dirt, needs servicing way less often than s&b has a filter minder to show when to service it, has the best straightening vanes in the tube ever produced and the psm kit is better than s&b. and the air entering the turbo is cooler. that said the s&b is the best aftermarket one and just a little worse than the stock setup your truck came with. your K&N is the very worst on the market in every respect. for every mile you drive it, it decreases engine life by 7 miles over what you could have got. lets start at the air, as the air heats up it expands. the more oxygen we get in the cylinder the better the burn. if you let hot air enter the box you substantially reduce the amount of oxygen aver the unexpanded cold air. next the filter, paper is a far superior filter over cloth. cummins has a very old movie out ( looks about 1950 vintage ) that is starting to recirculate that explains this better than I can but the engine life is directly determined by the total amount of dirt it consumed. in other words, if the engine is worn out at 5 pounds of dirt consumed, now you can look at the several reputable studies at the % efficiency's of the filters and do the math. take a used 6.7 stock filter and cut it open and unfold it, do the same with the k&n, measure surface area of both and hold both up to the sunlight, notice all the large holes in the K&N, we keep a new K&N and a collapsed K&N in my shop to show people how bad they are. you can take the new one and hold it up to the sun and it is like looking through a sieve, there is a youtube video of this so you do not have to go out and buy one to see this. filter media has holes of every shape and size in it, look at your home furnace filter and think of scaling it down to smaller size holes. a filter has two ratings, one when it is new and one for the end of life. the larger holes in the media has less restriction on the air so more air flows through them, as the larger holes fill up the air has to pass through smaller and smaller holes. it is not uncommon to see a end of life rating three times better than a brand new filter. a new big rig use to come with a warning not to over service the air filter for this reason. the ones out there changing there air or fuel or bypass filters out on a mileage basis is throwing a 2x better filter away than the new one they are putting on. do NOT change these filters unless the filterminder, lp gauge or bypass filter heat tell you to. next the shape of the filter is important to prevent turbulence, the uninformed ( idiots ) out there with the 6.7's that changed out there's with something like the K&N had sensor problems because of this. more important is the turbulence at the turbocharger, until 04.5 model there were no straightening vanes in the elbow of the tube at the turbo charger, the straightening vanes along with the silencer ring reduce side shear in the compressor side of the turbocharger giving higher efficiency ie more oxygen atoms in the cylinder. the 6.7 tube has a extremely advanced tube with many features to limit side shear and keep the air cooler without adding friction loss. before the 04.5 came out a company came out with a product called a turbo air guide or T.A.G. for short, it has a very unique tube way to straighten the air with a silencer ring built in and is easy to install in the tube. do a search on it. now look at the pos K&N tube or the better s&b at there straightening vane

Reactions: Cumminbighorn10

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
So the stock setup is better? I put an Afe torque tube on and Swiss cheesed my airbox, and run the Napa four inch filter. Diesel shop said I need to run a different intake and get rid of cat to lower egts. I'M sure they are trying to sell me something. Would a Tag work with afe torque tube?
Intakes and cats don't really affect anything. Not sure what your last question is. And stock is good but if you want aftermarket (looks and sounds way better) I'd go with s&b.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,759 Posts
install a 6.7 takeoff and a psm kit.
the 6.7 filter filters better than the s&b, holds more dirt, needs servicing way less often than s&b has a filter minder to show when to service it, has the best straightening vanes in the tube ever produced and the psm kit is better than s&b. and the air entering the turbo is cooler. that said the s&b is the best aftermarket one and just a little worse than the stock setup your truck came with. your K&N is the very worst on the market in every respect. for every mile you drive it, it decreases engine life by 7 miles over what you could have got. lets start at the air, as the air heats up it expands. the more oxygen we get in the cylinder the better the burn. if you let hot air enter the box you substantially reduce the amount of oxygen aver the unexpanded cold air. next the filter, paper is a far superior filter over cloth. cummins has a very old movie out ( looks about 1950 vintage ) that is starting to recirculate that explains this better than I can but the engine life is directly determined by the total amount of dirt it consumed. in other words, if the engine is worn out at 5 pounds of dirt consumed, now you can look at the several reputable studies at the % efficiency's of the filters and do the math. take a used 6.7 stock filter and cut it open and unfold it, do the same with the k&n, measure surface area of both and hold both up to the sunlight, notice all the large holes in the K&N, we keep a new K&N and a collapsed K&N in my shop to show people how bad they are. you can take the new one and hold it up to the sun and it is like looking through a sieve, there is a youtube video of this so you do not have to go out and buy one to see this. filter media has holes of every shape and size in it, look at your home furnace filter and think of scaling it down to smaller size holes. a filter has two ratings, one when it is new and one for the end of life. the larger holes in the media has less restriction on the air so more air flows through them, as the larger holes fill up the air has to pass through smaller and smaller holes. it is not uncommon to see a end of life rating three times better than a brand new filter. a new big rig use to come with a warning not to over service the air filter for this reason. the ones out there changing there air or fuel or bypass filters out on a mileage basis is throwing a 2x better filter away than the new one they are putting on. do NOT change these filters unless the filterminder, lp gauge or bypass filter heat tell you to. next the shape of the filter is important to prevent turbulence, the uninformed ( idiots ) out there with the 6.7's that changed out there's with something like the K&N had sensor problems because of this. more important is the turbulence at the turbocharger, until 04.5 model there were no straightening vanes in the elbow of the tube at the turbo charger, the straightening vanes along with the silencer ring reduce side shear in the compressor side of the turbocharger giving higher efficiency ie more oxygen atoms in the cylinder. the 6.7 tube has a extremely advanced tube with many features to limit side shear and keep the air cooler without adding friction loss. before the 04.5 came out a company came out with a product called a turbo air guide or T.A.G. for short, it has a very unique tube way to straighten the air with a silencer ring built in and is easy to install in the tube. do a search on it. now look at the pos K&N tube or the better s&b at there straightening vane
Wow, first time I've heard anyone say the silencer ring actually serves a purpose other than making things a little quieter ....?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
the airbox and tube fit perfectly. when we were experimenting we tried a 6.7 box with a coolhose and T.A.G. here is a pix, notice the port that has to be covered

·
Registered
85 Posts
Does anyone know if a T.A.G. will work with an AFE torque tube?

·
Premium Member
6,759 Posts
A "take off" are the stock parts many people remove from their trucks when they put on aftermarket cold air intakes.
Like I said, this is the first time I've heard anyone refer to after market kits as "all that crap".

·
Registered
5,245 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
What is the measurable difference when removing the straightening vanes and silencer ring?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
What is the measurable difference when removing the straightening vanes and silencer ring?
don't know if "measureable" is the right word.
some people say they can hear the turbo (louder) better...I can't.
Measureable? Not that I can tell by the butt dyno.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Kind of my point:hehe:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.