Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard K&N filters are bad to run on cummins, due the extreme vacuum the turbo produces and removes all the oil. is there a performance dry filter that i can use? and where is a resource for them?

·
Registered
5 Posts
i heard K&N filters are bad to run on cummins, due the extreme vacuum the turbo produces and removes all the oil. is there a performance dry filter that i can use? and where is a resource for them?
From what I've seen, the MAF problems caused by the oil coming through the filter was from over-oiling the filter during service. People would just hose their filter down with oil and the cotton can't hold all that oil...and then the MAF gets dirty. Just be smart about it while you're cleaning your filter and you'll be fine.

On the dry filter note -
I haven't seen a dry performance filter yet that can stop the dirt. I'll gladly clean and oil my filter if that means I'll be protecting my engine. Then again, that is just me.

If you must go dry, then I'd agree that the Amsoil filter is your best choice. Their efficiency rating isn't as high as oiled cotton filters, but I'd say that it's the best dry hi-perf filter available.

I'm no expert by any means, but I've read enough and done the research to form an opinion. One site that I usually go back to can be found here. The Truth About Filters

Good luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks guys, some good info!!

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
From what I've seen, the MAF problems caused by the oil coming through the filter was from over-oiling the filter during service. People would just hose their filter down with oil and the cotton can't hold all that oil...and then the MAF gets dirty. Just be smart about it while you're cleaning your filter and you'll be fine.

On the dry filter note -
I haven't seen a dry performance filter yet that can stop the dirt. I'll gladly clean and oil my filter if that means I'll be protecting my engine. Then again, that is just me.

If you must go dry, then I'd agree that the Amsoil filter is your best choice. Their efficiency rating isn't as high as oiled cotton filters, but I'd say that it's the best dry hi-perf filter available.

I'm no expert by any means, but I've read enough and done the research to form an opinion. One site that I usually go back to can be found here. The Truth About Filters

Good luck!
Just a friendly note, these trucks don't have mass airflow sensors (MAF). Gassers have MAF sensors. The sensor on 3rd gen 5.9 engines is an air temperature sensor.

-Chuck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts