Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Drum brake headaches 95’ 5.9 4x4 pls help

572 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dgillies24 
#1 · (Edited)
installed new rear brake cylinders and at first i had them too loose to where my pedal was spongy (no theres no air left in the lines)

then i tightened em down as per recommended by a youtube video. Which was get em tight enough so they dont have any play when you put the drum over the shoes.
I did this and it fixed my spongy pedal and i drove it for a couple hours yesterday.

but today when i put it in gear the car doesnt move unless i nearly floor it! Then the rear wheels break free and spin out in place. But if i stop it starts all over again….

so i jacked up my rear end again and the wheels WONT move. So i obviously need to loosen the adjuster. But what the christs hell is the right amount of tension on those dear drums?!?’

#4 ·
They can be backed off without removing wheels. Chock the front tires and leave truck in neutral WITHOUT setting emergency brake. Jack rear tires off the ground so you can spin them. Now you have the adjuster wheels that only allow you to tighten them in one direction. Take another flat screwdriver and push the adjuster arm in and the adjuster wheel will move in either direction. Loosen until the tires spin free

#5 ·
then i tightened em down as per recommended by a youtube video.
Maybe try getting your information from the Factory Service Manual (there's a free download of if it in the stickies of this forum, link below for easy reference), instead of some random YouTuber.

Youtube can be good, but there are more idiots that're looking for their 15 minutes of fame, that don't their azz from a hole in the ground, then there are people that actually know what they're talking about on it, so take YouTube recommendations with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Dgillies24
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.